Sponsored

Cloth or Leather?

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
The leather seated vehicles i've had were hot in the summer and cold in the winter, even with heated seats it took longer to get hot, than my heated cloth seats.

I've never owned a wrangler, or convertible. Please tell me the pros-cons of cloth vs leather in a wrangler/gladiator.

Lets also just assume that you can get heated seats in both.
Sponsored

WMWHV

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, 1947 Willys CJ2A
Build Thread
Link
One difference I have noticed, is that you get the fold down center armrest with cup holders on the rear seat with the leather, but not the cloth. On the JL, you also get a bit longer armrest on the doors and the stitching on the dash. I know that does not answer your question about which is more comfortable. My LJ has the Bartact covers over the cloth seats with heaters in between and my daily driver has leather. I don’t really notice a big difference. I am more worried about how the leather will do when I get in it sopping wet or it gets rained on. I will be interested to follow the comments of others.

TexTJ209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 Jeep CJ-7, 1973 Jeep J2000 Gladiator
You can wipe water off of leather/vinyl with a towel. Cloth? Hope you like a wet soggy butt.

Assuming you use your Jeep like a Jeep, that is.

But, maybe the newer cloth seats are treated to avoid that. Not sure really..

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
You can wipe water off of leather/vinyl with a towel. Cloth? Hope you like a wet soggy butt.

Assuming you use your Jeep like a Jeep, that is.

But, maybe the newer cloth seats are treated to avoid that. Not sure really..
If it rains on the leather seats, sure it might not get into the padding as much, but wont it still seep through the stitching into the padding?

TexTJ209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 Jeep CJ-7, 1973 Jeep J2000 Gladiator
If it rains on the leather seats, sure it might not get into the padding as much, but wont it still seep through the stitching into the padding?
Probably some, but you aren't gonna get a lot of transfer back through to your butt. At least I wouldn't think so.

Either way, seat covers are always an option!

Sponsored

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250

WMWHV

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
That was true on the JL but based on the media photos it does not appear to be the case on the JT :

http://distributed.chryslermedia.ic...P020_198GLsoih8b62uvcf16pkb4h1s96q6p__mid.jpg
If you look at the JT on the Jeep website in the 360 interior view where you can rotate the view around in a circle, the cloth version does not appear to fold down. That does not mean it was not a prototype and the production ones are different. I also was introby the other color option for leather.

SFC2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Gladiator Rubicon, 2012 JK Wrangler Unlimited Sport, 2000 XJ Cherokee
The leather seated vehicles i've had were hot in the summer and cold in the winter, even with heated seats it took longer to get hot, than my heated cloth seats.

I've never owned a wrangler, or convertible. Please tell me the pros-cons of cloth vs leather in a wrangler/gladiator.

Lets also just assume that you can get heated seats in both.
I would recommend cloth seats and later buy some nice seat covers. Bartact is one that I have heard nice stuff about. I have cloth seats in my JKU and Wet Okole seat covers. The seat covers have been worked over and the cloth seats are good as new. I off-road with the top off and face dodge mud on a regular basis.

JEEPN X 4

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep JK Unlimited Sport, 2014 Manley ORV Original Trailer
My '14 JK was the first time I had leather in a Jeep and they are extremely easy to clean after 4wheeling. That said, I went with the leather because the cloth in the JK's was such poor quality and would rot out quickly if the interior was used hard.

From '03 to '06 in the TJ's Jeep used a really high quality woven cloth for the seats. If that was used again, I would probably just go with that.

Sponsored

WMWHV

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I would recommend cloth seats and later buy some nice seat covers. Bartact is one that I have heard nice stuff about. I have cloth seats in my JKU and Wet Okole seat covers. The seat covers have been worked over and the cloth seats are good as new. I off-road with the top off and face dodge mud on a regular basis.
I have the Bartacts on my LJ and they fit and look nice. The MOLLE straps and rear pocket are really handy. That said, if you are in and out of the Jeep in a deluge rain like we get in Texas, the water coming off of you and your rain gear will seep through the seams and wet the seats underneath. It took me a few days to get everything dry after my last such experience and required pulling the seat covers. Bartact is very clear that the seams are not sealed. It they were not fitted with seams, they would not look as nice. Not slamming them in any way.

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
For us Sport S folks Katzkin should have some good leather options. I have found them to be very good replacement covers. I attached a couple pics of covers for 18 JLs. I have found some of the installers willing to make good deals, around $1100 installed on my other vehicles.

jeeps seat 2.jpg

jeep seat.jpg

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Leather forsure. Had the black cloth in my JK Rubi. And man they would stain and get lightened by the sun so quickly.
I hope the dark saddle leather looks nice. Not sure how brown leather with black accents all over will look.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the Bartacts on my LJ and they fit and look nice. The MOLLE straps and rear pocket are really handy. That said, if you are in and out of the Jeep in a deluge rain like we get in Texas, the water coming off of you and your rain gear will seep through the seams and wet the seats underneath. It took me a few days to get everything dry after my last such experience and required pulling the seat covers. Bartact is very clear that the seams are not sealed. It they were not fitted with seams, they would not look as nice. Not slamming them in any way.
so do you mean get the cloth, and then when the cloth goes bad, replace the cloth with a cover like katzkin where you actually replace the cloth?

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
If you look at the JT on the Jeep website in the 360 interior view where you can rotate the view around in a circle, the cloth version does not appear to fold down. That does not mean it was not a prototype and the production ones are different. I also was introby the other color option for leather.

Right - both the cloth and leather options appear to have the cup holders in the back of the console, and appear to have the same center seat.
Sponsored