Sponsored

Clunk on right turns

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator - Overland - Gator
In the past week, I’ve noticed that my truck will make a sort of “clunk” sound on some right-turns.

The sound seems to come from the rear of the truck.

The sound really only of occurs when making a 90-degree right turn. More likely when making that right turn with a little more speed/momentum than slower. And MOST likely when that 90-degree right turn is going into an incline.

When turning right into a steeper incline (all paved roads), I have noticed the clunk occur more than once—on the steepest incline, I’m pretty sure I noticed it clunking a few times in sync with the rotation of the wheels/drivetrain.

I am heading into the dealer tomorrow for an oil change and tire rotation anyway, and I’ll have them check it out.

I was just curious if this could have been triggered by recent use of 4WD. I take Care to only use 4WD in completed iced/snowed over conditions in which the wheels can slip, and I only use it on straight-aways, I slip into 2HI when I come up on turns in those conditions.

Any chance something about the recent 4WD use could be causing this clunk on these types of right-turns in 2HI? And if so, any easy way to remedy? I remember a Jeep friend of mine mentioning something about getting 4WD bound up after going through turns, and doing something like driving in reverse (or something) to “unbind it”—I’m still a bit foreign to the Jeep 4WD.

Mine also has the limited slip diff in it.

Video of the clunk happening at about the halfway mark of this right turn:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Delhux

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I brought it in today, they said one of the drag links in the front was loose, so they are going to order that and see if it addresses the clunk noise on right turns.

OP
OP
Delhux

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They replaced the drag link today, no difference in noise on turns (even through the technician wrote it “reduced” noise without eliminating it).

They zeroed in on my Teraflex adjustable front trackbar, saying that they thought it felt loose and was causing noise itself.

I am taking it to an off-road shop tonight to have them snug up the trackbar and give me their opinion.

My opinion is still that the noise seems like it is coming from the area of the differential, and only happens on right turns—and more exaggerated (multiple clunks) when turning right under heavier torque/load.

I think it is the differential, or related to it.

I’m going to make another dealer visit after the off-road shop tonight.

In3briatedPanda

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Freedom Edition Max Tow
Occupation
Automotive
well you have a annoying experience. Thank you for updating the thread!

TeraFlex

First Name
TeraFlex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teraflex.com
Vehicle(s)
JL, JT, JK
They replaced the drag link today, no difference in noise on turns (even through the technician wrote it “reduced” noise without eliminating it).

They zeroed in on my Teraflex adjustable front trackbar, saying that they thought it felt loose and was causing noise itself.

I am taking it to an off-road shop tonight to have them snug up the trackbar and give me their opinion.

My opinion is still that the noise seems like it is coming from the area of the differential, and only happens on right turns—and more exaggerated (multiple clunks) when turning right under heavier torque/load.

I think it is the differential, or related to it.

I’m going to make another dealer visit after the off-road shop tonight.
As a note on our front track bar you have, if the track bar you have was purchased before Oct '21, it will have a metal heim joint style bushing which will let the track bar rock slightly on the joints (front to back) which can in some instances create a "clunk/pop" sound. Track bars produced after 'Oct 21 will have an updated rubber cleveite style joint that isolates the track bar and eliminates the rocking movement and any noise it may make. If you do find that it is your track bar making noise, please feel free to reach and I can get you the update bushings to install in your track bar.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Delhux

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As a note on our front track bar you have, if the track bar you have was purchased before Oct '21, it will have a metal heim joint style bushing which will let the track bar rock slightly on the joints (front to back) which can in some instances create a "clunk/pop" sound. Track bars produced after 'Oct 21 will have an updated rubber cleveite style joint that isolates the track bar and eliminates the rocking movement and any noise it may make. If you do find that it is your track bar making noise, please feel free to reach and I can get you the update bushings to install in your track bar.
Thanks, mine was purchased October 2020, so it must be the earlier version. I’ll send a private message.

OP
OP
Delhux

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I went to the Off-road shop tonight and they actually found that the drag link (the one the dealer had just replaced that afternoon), was not installed properly—there is a nut and bolt that tightens down to “brace” the connection between the drag link and the pitman arm—that nut was only finger-tight.

The front trackbar seemed like it was snug, though when moving the wheel a bit while parked, it had a small noise, but not what I have been hearing.

I’m pretty sure the main noise is coming from the rear. It is only on right-turns, and most exaggerated when turning right into an incline.

I have another appointment at the dealer in a week. If I can mount a GoPro in the meantime, I might stick one underneath in a few places to see if I can gauge the volume level with a microphone mounted in the different places—try to pinpoint the clunk’s source.

Gladys21

First Name
Roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Same right hand turn on incline or decline. Poked around under and can wiggle the bars with nearly 1/4 inch of play in em. Have a appointment next week. Will see what they say at dealer. Having this forum backing helps. Mines a 21, with 17000. So clearly it can start any miles but that build date seems to be the culprit. Causing the issue. Overall, still luv the Galdiator.

OP
OP
Delhux

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just got back from visit number 3 at the dealer for this one (or kinda 3.5, if you count the return visit I made after they endangered my life with a botched, and unnecessary, drag link replacement) .

They had a mechanic hop in for a ride-along in the parking lot with me.

We were able to readily reproduce the issue and the mechanic agreed it was coming from the rear, only on right turns, and more pronounced when there is more load in the drivetrain (inclines or acceleration).

About 30-minutes later the service manager wanted to talk—he said he didn’t want to do the work, that it would take too much time in his bay, and that I should take the car to the dealership which installed my Mopar 2” lift kit.

I asked him what the cause was, he said he didn’t know. I asked him what he needed to do to find the cause, since I was not receptive to driving to other dealership service centers for support. He reluctantly said “time” and now I am planning a return visit in another week (visit number 4) just to try to see if they will take the time to diagnose the issue.

I tried to get them to arrange a loaner vehicle for me when I return for drop-off, and they refused. The service manager told me they would only provide a loaner AFTER diagnosis. I told him he had already acknowledged the symptom, and it seemed like a reasonable request given he needs extended time to diagnose what is causing the verified symptom. Again, the service manager refused.

I need to connect with @JeepCares on this one, as the service alone seems borderline negligent/abusive from a customer-service standpoint.

I’m also going to bring it to an independent mechanic for assessment before my next dealer visit—an out-of-pocket expense which seems insane after buying the Mopar 8-year warranty, on top of the vehicle cost/warranty.

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Just got back from visit number 3 at the dealer for this one (or kinda 3.5, if you count the return visit I made after they endangered my life with a botched, and unnecessary, drag link replacement) .

They had a mechanic hop in for a ride-along in the parking lot with me.

We were able to readily reproduce the issue and the mechanic agreed it was coming from the rear, only on right turns, and more pronounced when there is more load in the drivetrain (inclines or acceleration).

About 30-minutes later the service manager wanted to talk—he said he didn’t want to do the work, that it would take too much time in his bay, and that I should take the car to the dealership which installed my Mopar 2” lift kit.

I asked him what the cause was, he said he didn’t know. I asked him what he needed to do to find the cause, since I was not receptive to driving to other dealership service centers for support. He reluctantly said “time” and now I am planning a return visit in another week (visit number 4) just to try to see if they will take the time to diagnose the issue.

I tried to get them to arrange a loaner vehicle for me when I return for drop-off, and they refused. The service manager told me they would only provide a loaner AFTER diagnosis. I told him he had already acknowledged the symptom, and it seemed like a reasonable request given he needs extended time to diagnose what is causing the verified symptom. Again, the service manager refused.

I need to connect with @JeepCares on this one, as the service alone seems borderline negligent/abusive from a customer-service standpoint.

I’m also going to bring it to an independent mechanic for assessment before my next dealer visit—an out-of-pocket expense which seems insane after buying the Mopar 8-year warranty, on top of the vehicle cost/warranty.
Thanks for tagging us. Feel free to send our team a private message if you need support while at the dealer.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Sponsored

OP
OP
Delhux

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I canceled my return visit to the dealer and set up a new appointment at a different dealer--I just had a bad feeling about those guys.

In the meantime, I strapped a GoPro under the truck to record the difference in sound from different locations. The sound is very obviously coming from the rear:

OP
OP
Delhux

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I canceled my return visit to the dealer and set up a new appointment at a different dealer--I just had a bad feeling about those guys.

In the meantime, I strapped a GoPro under the truck to record the difference in sound from different locations. The sound is very obviously coming from the rear:

Anyone have thoughts as to what the noise might be?

Anserkilldu8

First Name
Junior
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator mojave

I have the exact same noise and can’t pin point where it’s coming from exactly! Going to go get it checked out today.

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Need more info. open diff, LSD, locker? Does it happen repeatedly or does it clunk just once until you stop? Have tou heard it going over a speed bump at slow speeds? Have you bounced on the rear bumper to rule out suspension stuff?

my first thought is internal to the diff. It could be a loose bolt but it should happen more often if that was the case

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Also not to sound like that guy…. But I would be contacting Jeep directly. The fact that dealer told you no seems a legal issue to me and grounds for a lawsuit. By law it is still under warranty no? So that dealer should either fix it or probably loose their certification for being a ‘jeep’ dealer. Just my opinion. It absolutely disgusts me how people and places are unwilling to do work they are liable for based on self proclaimed certifications just because its hard. If it was a 10 yr old vehicle thats one thing but new under warranty I am pretty sure thats a problem. I would also file a BBB complaint specifically against that dealer. They sound sketch.
Sponsored