First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Engineer
Has anyone had any false positives with the Collision Avoidance System? @JeepCares, this is a rather serious safety issue. I've had three false positives where the brakes engaged for a full-sstop.

The first was in a parking garage, which is pretty cramped, but for some reason, an open area triggered the Collision Avoidance System and slammed on the brakes. That was irritating, but not a big deal. i go in and out of this garage daily without any alerts.

The next two incidents could have caused an accident. I was going southbound on the Fort Pitt Bridge (in Pittsburgh), which consists of three or four lanes of constantly merging and shifting traffic, pretty hazardous on its own. My lane cleared up a bit, so I stepped on the gas. I can't imagine I was going over 30 mph. Immediately, the Collision Avoidance System slammed on the brakes, even though there was no one even close! Irritated, I hit the gas again, and it slams on the brakes, AGAIN! So here I am on a really busy bridge, during rush hour, and I've just slammed on the brakes twice. I was extremely fortunate that I wasn't rear-ended. Before, I've had audible warnings from the system on this bridge when there wasn't anybody within collision distance.

I now have the Collision Avoidance System set to "Near," which makes me concerned that I won't have as much warning as before. I almost turned the system to "Notify Only" which then removes the "protection" during a real emergency.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Sponsored

Casique

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HA Gladiator, 2011 FLHX, 2022 MDX
Can the auto-brake be turned off?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is set warn only at this point until I get used to it - but it's never warned me of anything.
My wife's GC warns here now and then but a crash has to be nearly certain before it does. It works fine in her Jeep GC.

Sponsored

stang37

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Landover, 2004 Mustang Cobra, 2013 SHO Taurus. 2016 Newmar Ventana motorhome
Occupation
Retired
I've had three or four warnings only in a certain place as I cross the Ms. river bridge at Vicksburg, Ms. No other time have I had an warning or activations. I'm thinking it's a microwave sign or something along that line triggering the activation/warning.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I've had three or four warnings only in a certain place as I cross the Ms. river bridge at Vicksburg, Ms. No other time have I had an warning or activations. I'm thinking it's a microwave sign or something along that line triggering the activation/warning.
I've always wondered if a radar gun or other similar device could trigger some of these systems............

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Why anyone would want there vehicle to have this much control is beyond me. Turn it all off pay attention and drive defensibly.
Because if they were in more vehicles and people used them my FATHER would be alive today - that's why.
YOU may drive perfectly, but shit happens - and it kills.

I'm glad you are a perfect driver and have never crossed that line and never felt the slightest bit sleepy while driving, never got distracted talking, using the phone, using GPS, reaching for anything at all.
You are rare and that's good - more drivers should be perfect.

But as long as anyone who can breathe can have a license - you never know.
One fellow was killed here when a driver had a heart problem - and he hit another vehicle - think maybe that might have saved someone had his vehicle been able to do something.
It ain't for everyone - but when you have a family member killed when technology could have prevented it............ you view things from a different perspective.

Sponsored

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Why anyone would want there vehicle to have this much control is beyond me. Turn it all off pay attention and drive defensibly.
Always drive defensively. Just yesterday on way to Big Bend. I'm in front of the Jeep, and was also run onto the shoulder by this fellow. Speeds 75 MPH ...

Screenshot_20200121-044640.png

Adawg1203

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE
Has anyone had any false positives with the Collision Avoidance System? @JeepCares, this is a rather serious safety issue. I've had three false positives where the brakes engaged for a full-sstop.

The first was in a parking garage, which is pretty cramped, but for some reason, an open area triggered the Collision Avoidance System and slammed on the brakes. That was irritating, but not a big deal. i go in and out of this garage daily without any alerts.

The next two incidents could have caused an accident. I was going southbound on the Fort Pitt Bridge (in Pittsburgh), which consists of three or four lanes of constantly merging and shifting traffic, pretty hazardous on its own. My lane cleared up a bit, so I stepped on the gas. I can't imagine I was going over 30 mph. Immediately, the Collision Avoidance System slammed on the brakes, even though there was no one even close! Irritated, I hit the gas again, and it slams on the brakes, AGAIN! So here I am on a really busy bridge, during rush hour, and I've just slammed on the brakes twice. I was extremely fortunate that I wasn't rear-ended. Before, I've had audible warnings from the system on this bridge when there wasn't anybody within collision distance.

I now have the Collision Avoidance System set to "Near," which makes me concerned that I won't have as much warning as before. I almost turned the system to "Notify Only" which then removes the "protection" during a real emergency.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Mine is active, but rarely goes off, if ever.

Honestly it sounds like the system did what it was looking to do (minus the parking garage example). I believe there were many things taking place when the system activated itself, but worst case, TURN IT OFF if you feel it is UNSAFE.

what isn't clear is were there in fact vehicles in front of you when the system engaged??? if the vehicles were stopped and you were accelerating as described, then system activate. But that is purely Monday morning quarterbacking which is completely irrelevant.

I paste out of the book the descriptions for the settings and maybe one will work better or again you can always turn it off.

Near

 When the sensitivity of FCW is set to the “Near” setting and the system status is “Only Warning”, this allows the system to warn the driver of a possible closer colli- sions with the vehicle in front using audible/visual warnings.

 This setting provides less reaction time than the “Far” and “Medium” settings, which allows for a more dynamic driving experience.

 More dynamic or aggressive drivers that want to avoid frequent warnings may prefer this setting.

Far

 When the sensitivity of FCW is set to the “Far” setting and the system status is “Only Warning “, this allows the system to warn the driver of a possible more distant collisions with the vehicle in front using audible/visual warnings.

 More cautious drivers that do not mind frequent warnings may prefer this setting.

Medium

 When the sensitivity of FCW is set to the “Medium” setting and the system status is “Only Warning”, this allows the system to warn the driver of a possible collision with the vehicle in front using audible/ visual warnings.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Agree 100%. A sensor will NEVER be the same as a human eyeball. Statistics are showing that accident rates and severity are increasing, not decreasing, and it's all because of this safety garbage combined with distracting electronics. Either drive your vehicle or call a taxi.

mr_bots

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Because if they were in more vehicles and people used them my FATHER would be alive today - that's why.
YOU may drive perfectly, but shit happens - and it kills.

I'm glad you are a perfect driver and have never crossed that line and never felt the slightest bit sleepy while driving, never got distracted talking, using the phone, using GPS, reaching for anything at all.
You are rare and that's good - more drivers should be perfect.

But as long as anyone who can breathe can have a license - you never know.
One fellow was killed here when a driver had a heart problem - and he hit another vehicle - think maybe that might have saved someone had his vehicle been able to do something.
It ain't for everyone - but when you have a family member killed when technology could have prevented it............ you view things from a different perspective.
Personally I'm sold on it. I haven't had any issues or errors with my Jeep and only a few false warnings on the Honda but no false brake applications. On the Honda though, it did save me from rear ending someone on the highway while going 75. I was paying attention but they cut me off out of nowhere then slammed their brakes to turn left. Ass soon as they started cutting over into my lane the ACC started slowing down then when they slammed their brakes it was applying full brake. This all took place before I could even get my foot to the brake pedal.

Adawg1203

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE
Agree 100%. A sensor will NEVER be the same as a human eyeball. Statistics are showing that accident rates and severity are increasing, not decreasing, and it's all because of this safety garbage combined with distracting electronics. Either drive your vehicle or call a taxi.
Agree. However the intent of the system (jeep only) is if it detects you are moving at a higher rate of speed towards a vehicle and senses you are NOT touching the brakes it will apply brake pressure and sound a warning (if enabled). The system really is a 'wake up' call and expects you will apply the brakes and take action, after it warned you of a possible situation. Its not meant to by any means take over due to lack of focus. At least thats my interpretation.

I do agree though. Stay attentive while driving however, unexpected things do happen even when focused and if technolgy can assist to a degree in preventing a bad outcome, i am all for it. Like anything it has to be used responsibly.
Sponsored