First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Sport S; 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E
Occupation
Retired
So, I'm thinking I want to put a winch on my Gladiator, I've got a limited budget, and Harbor Freight just sent me a 25% off coupon with no exclusions, and good for a week. I'm looking at the offerings from Harbor Freight and comparing the Apex and the ZXR, both rated at 12K lbs. The ZXR comes with 65 feet of steel cable while the Apex has 80 feet of synthetic rope and the ZXR has a gear ratio of 265:1 vs. 210:1 for the Apex. There are other differences, as seen in the chart below, but it seems like the cable is the biggest difference - and a synthetic rope COULD be swapped in for just over $100. Is there really any reason to spend twice as much for the Apex?

Also, my bumper - a Rugged Ridge Spartan - has a flat winch plate that would have the winch mounted up high. If I wanted to mount it a bit lower could I replace the winch plate with one that would recess the winch down a bit?

View attachment winches.pdf

Sponsored

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
You also have to swap to a Synthetic hauser fairlead from the steel cable roller version, probably another $40-$150. Have you checked other brands for price and specs, I find it odd that the steel cable version is actually three pounds less weight then the Apex with synthetic, still both over 80 pounds.....Jack

OP
OP
Alan_Hepburn

Alan_Hepburn

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Sport S; 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E
Occupation
Retired
I thought the weight difference was weird too, then I figured it's the difference between 65 feet of steel vs. 80 feet of synthetic. I guess I should compare the cost of upgrading to the synthetic and the cost of the hawser fairlead vs. the cost of the Apex to get a better idea of the difference.

I thought it was interesting that the lower cost one had lower gearing also: 265:1 vs. 210:1 - doesn't that make it actually stronger?

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Both are rated at 12,000 pounds, but I think the Apex will be rated at 12,000 pounds and have a much higher line speed, Apex come with wireless remote (worth $30), Hauser perhaps at HF $40, line $100, so extra $170 to get them close to apples to apples, BUT, the ZXR is on sale until 6/12 for $289, perhaps add those xtras at $170 for total of $459 then get 25% off total perhaps puts you at $344 total. I do not see too many people putting the ZXR on compared to the Apex on this Forum, but I haven't looked, but in the end the Apex is $486 and ZXR is $344, Apex is $142 more or about 40% so not twice. as much.
You said you have a limited budget and money is your main driver, how much are you planning on winching, perhaps steel cable and wired remote at $289 minus 25% is only $217.
Good Luck, I hope my wife doesn't read this thread after see finds out what I spend on a winch!.....Jack

PS: you also need a winch plate and some of the good ones are more then your winch!
Sponsored