First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang GT PP, 21 Gladiator?
Occupation
PLS
So, I'm changing jobs and giving up a company truck that I drive as my own. I've narrowed down my replacement choice to either a Gladiator or a Ranger. I'm a huge fan of the Ranger, but the Jeep is looking like a strong contender.

I have no Jeep experience, other than my wife's 2016 Cherokee, which I don't really consider a Jeep. I maen, it's a Jeep, but a Jeep Jeep, if you know what I mean.

The Gladiator seems like a bad ass truck. We drove a Sport S yesterday. It looked like it had highway cruiser tires on it, not a A/T or M/T. I though it rode nice. We took the front top pieces off, and wow, what fun!

What do I need to know about the Gladiator that would bother a new Jeep owner? I don't know what I don't know.

We're looking at a Mojave for $45K vs the Sport S for $42. Seems like a huge jump in trim level for just a few grand. The ultimate goal is this will be my dd, most of the time. I do plan on some off-road action. Trails and such. No dune jumping, no mud bogging, just fun stuff. Really nice days, the wife will probably drive it and I'll drive my 'stang.

I guess biggest questions are:

1) Is $42K a good deal on a Sport S?

2) Would the Mojave be the better deal, knowing I most likely won't ever use it to it's full potential. I do like nice vehicles.

3) If I went with the S, I'd want to do wheels and tires asap. Where's a good aftermarket spot for wheels, and what's the most reasonable tire size? 33s, 35s?

While a noob to Jeep, I'm not a noob to mods or wrenching (not saying I'm any good at it, if it can go wtong during a mod, it will most def happen to me). Former rides: '53 Chevy Deluxe 5 window pickup, 72, 67, 66, and 71 Chevelles, 67 Fairlane, and currently a '17 Mustang that sees the occasional trip to the track. I just want to make the most informed purchase I can.

Thanks
Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Sounds like a Willys might meet your needs, if you can find one. It'll have nice off road tires like a Mojave or Rubicon (though a little smaller at 31"), and the features of a Sport S. To fit 35s, I believe you have to change fender flares on the Sport S, whereas they'll fit the Mojave stock.

Last edited:

Saltymedic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Sport Eco-d
Occupation
Retired Fire-Medic
In short:

They hold their value like no other

Try to take the doors and roof off a Ranger

Want a solid front axle for better offroading? Good luck finding another

Lifting a Jeep is easier and more affordable

Parts? Magazines worth

Instant family

(Anyone else got something, feel free to jump in and add)

Undecided

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport S w/ Max Tow!
Occupation
Cybersecurity
1) Without seeing the window stickers I don’t think we can give input on value

2) If it has what you want then yes. I like all the extra options. Somewhat related to 1 though. A decked out sport would meet your needs for about the same as a mildly optioned Mojave.

3) Wheels are so opinions based. Just look through photos and see what you like. 33 will fit a sport S no lift. 35 need lift

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Other things to consider the gladiator back seat is way better than the ranger if you need a back seat. If you go with a sport s get the max tow as you can add most missing things to a sport s but you can't add the wider axles and 4.10 gears (well you can but not cost effectively), and way higher tow rating and payload

Some negatives, the jeep loves to wander above 70. If you routinely driving long distances over 70 this may not be the best choice of vehicle. Also, the jeep engine is merely adequate in terms of power.

Coming from a ram 1500, the ram was objectively the better vehicle, but the jeep puts way more smiles on my face. It let me have a fun convertible while still having the towing and bed capabilities that I needed.

Last edited:

Sponsored

slowstang305

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
I would go for a sport s with the max tow package for the 4.10 gearing.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
I, too, looked at a Ranger vs. Gladiator. You see what I bought.
if your looking for a few more creature comforts, the Overland is worth considering. I’ve heard that the Mojave has a better ride, with its, “Dune-tuned,” suspension.
I don’t have any issues with steering wander at any speed, unless there’s an appreciable wind, then this brick on wheels is a handful.
$45k sounds like a good price for a Mojave, but compare the options, as mentioned.
And take all the, “Max tow,” fanboi comments with a grain of salt. Yes, it’s certainly an interesting option, but not unless you’re towing a lot, or are planning on wanting the 4.10 axle ratio anyway.

Kevin

TJDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Motorized toy collector
If I was looking, and had plans to add larger tires, I would look for one with the 4.10 axle ratio.

OP
OP

samd1351

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
PLS
Well, not surprisingly, the Ranger forum page looks almost identical to this page!

I'll post the window stickers of both later this a.m. so you all can compare.

The younger me wouldn't have even hesitated for a second on the Gladiator. Older me likes a little (lot) more creature comfort. But the jeep put a smile on the wife's face.

Wimdow stickers by 10 or 11.

heftysmurf

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
You asked for things that would "bother" a new Jeep owner so I'll try to toss in something...

-- Don't expect a noise-free ride. Wrangler based vehicles are inherently noisier since there isn't sound dampening like other vehicles.
-- Solid axle...awesome. Ride...Well, went from Wrangler to ZR2 to Gladiator. In the year and a half I owned the ZR2, it drove like a caddy compared to the Gladiator. IFS is just "different" feeling.
-- You may or may not get wet sometimes. Opening the door in the rain, not good channeling. For sure on my Wrangler once the freedom tops were removed, it never quite was the same...Torrential downpours I'd have some water in the floor boards...yes, even after a warranty replacement on the panels.
-- FCA "quality". My Wrangler developed surface rust on some frame parts. Not THAT big of a deal as you can shoot it with satin paint and call it a day. You'll notice some other cut corners as time goes on which you either upgrade, accept, or replace with stock.
-- Not the peppiest. I know, some people say their Gladiator drives great but at the end of the day, you're driving a box! So don't expect to win any races.

As others have mentioned, try taking the doors off a Ranger...I agree. The pro's outweigh the cons in my opinion just for the fun factor. While I do like creature comforts, I sacrifice a bit for the fun. The ZR2 was cheaper, front and rear lockers from the factory, rode like a dream, Multimatic shocks, and I was a hair's width from starting upgrades but then I traded it for the Gladiator and I don't regret it.

Sponsored

NHyde

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
IT Manager
When comparing the Wrangler and Gladiator to the competition, they are loud, uncomfortable and will constantly make you spend more money.

They are 'lifestyle' brands. You either want in or you don't and you'll accept them for all the faults they have because you can take the top off, because you can take the doors off, because even with the base Sport S package, your vehicle can go most places no other vehicle can.

I don't think the Ranger and Gladiator cross-shop very well - for all intents and purposes, the Ranger is a 'better' vehicle in a modern day sense. But if you're looking for a convertible, a truck, an off-roader, a Jeep - then the Gladiator is the only way to go.

rr11

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT 2005 TJ 2003 F250
Occupation
Retired
I debated waiting on a Bronco or getting a Gladiator, my daily driver for 30 years was a F series. We have always had a Jeep vehicle in the mix. My wife's 13 Wrangler had 145K on it when it was totaled out. The main decision point with me was engines. While the Gladiator is not going to win races it is a good reliable power plant. I don't know what the life span of a 4 cylinder turbo will be in the real world. My brother runs 30 F series in his operation and he will not buy any more of the eco-boost engines.

JTsGarage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Something that would bother a new Jeep owner? Honestly, the fact that you waited so long to get a Jeep. That was my reaction anyway, ha! I thought, "man, why didn't I do this sooner?"

Highway handling - I read a lot on this forum about the Gladiator and Wrangler wandering at highway speeds. The Wrangler, yes, I can absolutely confirm that. The Gladiator I don't see the issue though. It's much easier to drive with its longer wheelbase.

Water - This was mentioned above, but water will stream in when you open the door in the rain. A design quirk of the roof channels I guess. Otherwise, I've had both soft and hard tops on my Gladiator and no water leaks in. On the hardtop, I did experience the leaking rear glass issue like others have but it was fixed under warranty. Bad factory seal on some early 2020 models.

Engines - On Ranger vs. Gladiator, the 2.3 Ecoboost is the better engine vs the Pentastar V6 by the specs. However, the Pentastar is no slouch. The power delivery is smooth and enjoyable. Plus, still naturally-aspirated, port fuel injection (no direct injection), no turbos. It's a proven formula. The engine's gonna last. Also, the ZF-sourced 8-speed automatic transmission is great.

Interior - The only other two points I would make on Ranger vs. Gladiator are in regards to the interior 1) Gladiator's rear seat is spacious and very useful relative to the Ranger's tiny back seat and 2) Jeep's interior materials on the newer generation JL Wranglers and the Gladiator are actually very high quality. The Ranger's interior looked dated when it first returned to the US a few years ago.

Last edited:
OP
OP

samd1351

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
PLS
I've posed the same type of questions on the Ranger forum. Thatvhas quicly devolved into an argument about wraps (someone posted a link to a white Ranger, which I shot down soley because of the color).

Lemme se if I can't get the two stickers posted for y'alls review.

OP
OP

samd1351

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
PLS
Okay here are the two window stickers. The Sport S is listed at $44,625 and the Mojave at $45,088.
Sponsored

Attachments