Completed halogen to led install on it rubicon

Jhoussock

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator rubicon
So I completed my install of the oem led package from halogens. I had zero background in this and I’m not that strong mechanically. For anyone that is considering it, it’s totally worth it. I think the fender drl leds/turns were the hardest part but I definitely recommend not cheaping out and getting a rivet set with the plier things that install the rivets and a set of those plastic pry bars with the skinny metal prybar as well. Probably the best 30 bucks I spent out of the whole install...saved me a ton of time. I did the fogs, headlights, turns and tails in around 5 hours total. Not sure if that’s good or bad....here’s a pic with the low beams and fog lights on. The cut off is crazy, it’s like a sunny day right to pitch black with no transition. Thanks to everyone that helped answer my questions. If anyone needs any tips on the process just ask. I’ll post some pictures and sources/videos that helped me out when I get a chance

16665436-DA41-4B54-AB71-7C600EC11905.jpeg
Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2018 JLUR, 2023 JTuRD
John,
Glad you got them working!
Gregj

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370
Looking forward to a post with a list of parts you bought to make this happen and the new look with lights. This is an upgrade I'm looking into as well and I'm deciding between LED headlight replacements or LED bulb replacements

OP
OP
Jhoussock

Jhoussock

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator rubicon
Looking forward to a post with a list of parts you bought to make this happen and the new look with lights. This is an upgrade I'm looking into as well and I'm deciding between LED headlight replacements or LED bulb replacements
Not really a parts list.....I bought the headlight kit from mopar that comes with everything you need. The signals have built in harnesses and the fogs and tails just plug into the fixture using your previous harness’s. I did buy the tazer to avoid going to the Jeep dealer to be flashed...when I called to price how much it would be they had no idea what I was talking about and asked am I sure I can switch the lights out....I figured the tazer would be easier for me. I did this because I was driving an Acura with some crazy headlights before the gladiator and I missed them...the Jeep leds ended up blowing the Acura leds our of the water to my surprise. If you can put up the cash go the route of the whole fixed not the bulbs. I actually bought bulbs for everything at first and then realized that was just money I could put into lights instead and canceled the order....so glad I did

Phinneywood

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Not really a parts list.....I bought the headlight kit from mopar that comes with everything you need. The signals have built in harnesses and the fogs and tails just plug into the fixture using your previous harness’s. I did buy the tazer to avoid going to the Jeep dealer to be flashed...when I called to price how much it would be they had no idea what I was talking about and asked am I sure I can switch the lights out....I figured the tazer would be easier for me. I did this because I was driving an Acura with some crazy headlights before the gladiator and I missed them...the Jeep leds ended up blowing the Acura leds our of the water to my surprise. If you can put up the cash go the route of the whole fixed not the bulbs. I actually bought bulbs for everything at first and then realized that was just money I could put into lights instead and canceled the order....so glad I did
Do you have the part number for the complete kit? I just ordered the headlights. Fender signal/DRLs are next (they seem pricey at ~$250/side). Wondering if a complete kit is more affordable.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jhoussock

Jhoussock

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator rubicon
Sorry I wrote that confusing....head lights come as a “kit” the rest come as just the lights. So I bought them seperate except the headlights that are boxed as a kit. I bought the turns from this guy on eBay and they are perfect....he even throws in some rivets for the fender(not needed if you install a certain way) and the orange side marker(same as the one on halogens so you can reuse. They are already led) https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/113852463236

Phinneywood

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Sorry I wrote that confusing....head lights come as a “kit” the rest come as just the lights. So I bought them seperate except the headlights that are boxed as a kit. I bought the turns from this guy on eBay and they are perfect....he even throws in some rivets for the fender(not needed if you install a certain way) and the orange side marker(same as the one on halogens so you can reuse. They are already led) https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/113852463236
Thanks for clarifying! That’s a great price on those fender lights. Is your JT a Rubicon? I’ve got a Sport S, and the eBay listing indicates they don’t fit the Sport. But Quadratec indicates they do. I’ll ping the eBay seller and see if they’re the same part.

OP
OP
Jhoussock

Jhoussock

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator rubicon
Thanks for clarifying! That’s a great price on those fender lights. Is your JT a Rubicon? I’ve got a Sport S, and the eBay listing indicates they don’t fit the Sport. But Quadratec indicates they do. I’ll ping the eBay seller and see if they’re the same part.
Yes I have a rubicon...not sure about fitting the sport

Lex Low

First Name
Lex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK, 2020 JTR
Occupation
Film Editor
So I completed my install of the oem led package from halogens. I had zero background in this and I’m not that strong mechanically. For anyone that is considering it, it’s totally worth it. I think the fender drl leds/turns were the hardest part but I definitely recommend not cheaping out and getting a rivet set with the plier things that install the rivets and a set of those plastic pry bars with the skinny metal prybar as well. Probably the best 30 bucks I spent out of the whole install...saved me a ton of time. I did the fogs, headlights, turns and tails in around 5 hours total. Not sure if that’s good or bad....here’s a pic with the low beams and fog lights on. The cut off is crazy, it’s like a sunny day right to pitch black with no transition. Thanks to everyone that helped answer my questions. If anyone needs any tips on the process just ask. I’ll post some pictures and sources/videos that helped me out when I get a chance

16665436-DA41-4B54-AB71-7C600EC11905.jpeg

I'm also in the middle of the conversion. The fogs came with the bumper when I upgraded from the plastic to the metal Mopar one. That was easy enough. I just received the turning signals. From the YouTube videos posted it looks like a major undertaking. Did you take off the liner completely? Did you take pictures while doing it? I was looking forward to them. But now I'm apprehensive about it. Any suggestions, hints that will make it easier? What adhesive did you use?

The headlights. Did you have run a harness? Or can I just plug and play?

Any help will be greatly appreciated as I'm pretty discouraged and about to say fk it. Sell the lights and just get led bulbs

OP
OP
Jhoussock

Jhoussock

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator rubicon
I'm also in the middle of the conversion. The fogs came with the bumper when I upgraded from the plastic to the metal Mopar one. That was easy enough. I just received the turning signals. From the YouTube videos posted it looks like a major undertaking. Did you take off the liner completely? Did you take pictures while doing it? I was looking forward to them. But now I'm apprehensive about it. Any suggestions, hints that will make it easier? What adhesive did you use?

The headlights. Did you have run a harness? Or can I just plug and play?

Any help will be greatly appreciated as I'm pretty discouraged and about to say fk it. Sell the lights and just get led bulbs

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jhoussock

Jhoussock

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator rubicon
So I expected the headlights to be the hardest but not gonna lie the fenders were the hardest. That being said I’m in no way a mechanic. I did it just fine with some patients and taking my time....I used two videos that helped a lot...I’ll post them below. But here’s what i found. All rivets can be reused with the exception of the outermost on the fender(the ones that have the pin in the middle of the head). It is possible to do the install not removing any of the non reusable ones but it’s easier to remove the outer front rivet that holds in the bulky plastic bracket that goes behind the signal. If you take all the Christmas tree rivets and bolts out of the under part of the liner you can remove the liner all the way to the last three permanent rivets on the back outside of the fender, One of the videos shows this. The liner will just pull out of the outer fender without needing to remove the permanent rivets. With all fixtures removed back to those back three outer rivets there is plenty of room to see and remove the fixture and plug them into the wire harness. One other thing that helped was to take out one old signal and then once the new one was set into place I took out bolts from the second side while at the same time bolting in the first side. This helped verify I had the bolts correct and the placement correct as well. Basically use the second side to help you install the new one. I lost a lot of time trying to undo the old lights from the harness apparently you have to unlock the red clip then squeeze the bump above the clip. One side just randomly let go and I broke the harness on the old signal to get it off on the second. This didn’t affect how the new harness fit. Both fastened normally. Hope this helps I can pm you my cell phone when you get ready to install. You can shoot me a text if you get stuck. They look really good installed. Don’t settle for Led bulbs. You won’t regret the led fixtures.

OP
OP
Jhoussock

Jhoussock

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator rubicon
Here are three videos that helped me understand how they are put together...

OP
OP
Jhoussock

Jhoussock

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator rubicon
Here are two pictures first one is with the front of the lining removed the second his with the plastic flap unbolted that needs to be flipped down to get to the lower bolts. This is covered in the first video and it’s an important step for easy access

D3AFEBF9-7108-40B7-96A4-4EE32DD71ABC.jpeg

4C63C128-FDC6-4F34-96BE-E83720705D4A.jpeg

Lex Low

First Name
Lex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK, 2020 JTR
Occupation
Film Editor
Here are two pictures first one is with the front of the lining removed the second his with the plastic flap unbolted that needs to be flipped down to get to the lower bolts. This is covered in the first video and it’s an important step for easy access

D3AFEBF9-7108-40B7-96A4-4EE32DD71ABC.jpeg

4C63C128-FDC6-4F34-96BE-E83720705D4A.jpeg

Thanks for the guidance and encouragement. I'm not a mechanic either but do most of my upgrades on Jeeps with proper instructions. But electric is one of those things I tend to avoid. The turn signals and headlights do look sweet and was the main reason I wanted to upgrade. I have a couple of weeks vacation time coming. I'll tackle it then so I can take my time.

Any suggestions with the double sided tape and installing the headlights?
Any suggestions with the

OP
OP
Jhoussock

Jhoussock

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator rubicon
So the first picture shows the one use rivet that I remove but probably didn’t have to you can kind of swing the bracket out of the way but it’s easier if you do remove it. The second picture shows the point I removed the liner back to. YOU DONT REMOVE THE RIVETS TO HERE! The liner will just slide out and it has gaps were these rivets are. Finally the last picture are tools that made life easy but aren’t required...the pry tool and rivet plyers work great and save time. The head lamp makes it easy to have light and not have to worry about moving lights around and blinding you. The hex tool worked nice cause it was short and compact for the tighter area. The only other thing I used was a socket set for bolts.
https://www.amazon.com/your-
orders/pop/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_pop?_encoding=UTF8&gen=canonical&lineItemId=koqjlxhtrqtsqny&orderId=114-2477954-1861014&packageId=1&returnSummaryId=&returnUnitIndices=&shipmentId=DBgyMb6Vx

https://www.amazon.com/your-orders/...ryId=&returnUnitIndices=&shipmentId=DBgyMb6Vx

B6436805-0570-46F0-8DA6-D748797DE858.jpeg

48100300-5185-4BF1-8CBC-8096192118A6.jpeg

10357D52-4C8D-4FA6-A76D-A36716DC5748.jpeg
Sponsored