Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Rubi JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Mech Engineer
So first post on here. I don't have my JT yet but I just ordered it on 11/9/2022 and have seen my VIN through the jeep tracking portal. Hopefully this is allowed, Delete if not.

I have been wheeling for years in my 2011 TRD Offroad Tacoma. I built it from the ground up and have been the sole owner.
I plan on selling this to make room for the JT, but here is a list of mods and some pictures of it. I hope the JT lives up to my expectations.

2011 Tacoma TRD Offroad
6-spd manual
e-locker
4:56 gears
+3.5 Long travel Up front (14" travel with 4wd)
255/85/16 (Tall 33's)
Camburg performance 4x4 spindles
DMZ Spring under with 16" tripple bypasses thru the bed (18" travel)
Other Misc Mods.

This is where I am coming from. I know the JT wont have the same amount of travel that I am used to, but I do more crawling/ slow wheeling now vs. the fast high speed desert romping that I did when I lived in SoCal.

Jeep Gladiator Concentric_Killer's Rubi PANO_20200307_115502

Jeep Gladiator Concentric_Killer's Rubi PXL_20220220_204712892

My 2023 JT Rubicon Configuration
- Sarge Green
- V6
- Cold Weather Pkg.
- LED Pkg
- Aux Switches
- Tow Pkg
- Saddle Tan Leather (Really Excited for this)
- 8 Spd Auto

Initial Mods (Will order before the JT arrives)
- Goose Gear Back Seat Delete. This will create more room for the Doggos
- Artec Full Belly Skid. I know I need a 1.5" lift (according to artec), but I think I can install the main belly portion and just run without the front section.
- ARB Dual Compressor Mount. I am taking this from my Tacoma.

Future Mods
- GFC Shell (with tent)
- 35's I am excited to run 35's without having to do anything to the vehicle.
- Some sort of High Clearance Rear Bumper, and low profile sliders.
- Some sort of Lift that will survive Utah Winters. The Terra Flex extended travel lift (2-3")??. I think I want something with Hydro Bumps.

The main reason for getting the Rubi Trim was to make it just a capable as my tacoma but in a 'stock' vehicle. I plan on just wheelin it in stock form and will see what upgrades I want to get. This will also be my first solid axle vehicle so I will probably have to re-learn which lines to take with this thing. I have been wheeling a long travel IFS for years, I might not be able to take the same lines.
Sponsored

ATL_Rubi

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Caretaker to various super cars
Occupation
Sales
Welcome to the group!

I am willing to bet that the jeep will surprise you on travel. There are a few "mid" travel systems that push 14-16 inches in the rear, Terraflex comes to mind, EVO Mfg, Rock Krawler, and Metalcloak all come to mind as well. If you're not dying for travel, Clayton gets great reviews for ride quality.

OP
OP

Concentric_Killa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Rubi JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Mech Engineer
Welcome to the group!

I am willing to bet that the jeep will surprise you on travel. There are a few "mid" travel systems that push 14-16 inches in the rear, Terraflex comes to mind, EVO Mfg, Rock Krawler, and Metalcloak all come to mind as well. If you're not dying for travel, Clayton gets great reviews for ride quality.
Thanks for the welcoming. I am definitely excited and can't wait for the arrival to come soon enough. I will check out those brands and keep those in mind on when / if I lift it.

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic

From another thread

Sponsored

OP
OP

Concentric_Killa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Rubi JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Mech Engineer
So I should be receiving my build in a couple of weeks. In the meantime I have purchased the following.

Goose gear back seat delete (60/40) I ordered both since the leadtime is 12 wks. It's just the wife and I and our two medium sized doggos. The JT has an awkward back seat folding ability. Much less than my Tacoma. Removing the backseats is the only way to regain room in the cab.

Blue ridge overland JLU attic. This will allow us to put puffy jackets and misc items in the headliner. I 3d printed some brackets out of ASA that will hopefully fit.

Thinskinz..I found these in order to protect the interior of the back doors from at least one of our dogs. One of our dogs likes.to put her paws on the arm rest and look out the window.

Grimm off-road ARB compressor mount. I plan on taking my dual compressor from my Tacoma and sticking it in the JT. This mounts behind the driver side interior fender under the master cylinder. This is probably the cleanest mount for a compressor I have seen (outside the cab). My compressor has been living in my Tacoma engine compartment for years without issue from heat.

OP
OP

Concentric_Killa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Rubi JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Mech Engineer
Finally picked up my ride (11/9/2022 order placed and 12/27/2022 pickup). I am excited to continue my off-road adventures in my first Solid Axle Rig.

2023, Rubicon, Sarge Green, saddle tan leather, LED package, aux switches, cold weather, 8-spd Auto.

IMG_20221227_220509.jpg

Mofo67

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Congratulations, enjoy the new Jeep!

OP
OP

Concentric_Killa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Rubi JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Mech Engineer
So my first mod will be installing the Grimm off-road ARB dual compressor mount. Airing down is a necessity and I have been using this dual compressor in my Tacoma for the past 5 years.

The hardest part was removing the fender and inner liner. I only managed to break one clip. It looks like the tire will hit the compressor at full lock and full up travel but apparently it doesn't.

I didn't want mount the compressor in the bed or under one of the seats. Due to the 23' rubicons missing the engine cover. The Grimm off-road version is the only mount that would work for me.

The compressor was an easy install, and I took time to route the harness and filter hoses.

PXL_20221230_170136139.jpg

PXL_20221230_170143721.jpg

PXL_20221230_170149821.jpg

OP
OP

Concentric_Killa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Rubi JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Mech Engineer
Went to Moab last weekend. And put about 200mi of off-road driving. Went and did eye of the whale and tower arch. Also attempted top of the world but it was too icy and I wanted to wait until I had my next venture uhmw skids. The trail is more tore up compared to when I did it in 2019. Sometimes it's good to call it when it is just you and the wife and the doggos. It would be a long cold walk back to Moab..

This thing needs mud flaps that actually flap in the wind. I'll probably make some.

Also I wish the auto sway bar connect was adjusted to 30 mph. Cmon, 18mph...

Overall the truck is pretty nimble on the trail. I didn't notice the length when compared to my Tacoma.

PXL_20230107_201109430.jpg
PXL_20230107_200532684.jpg
PXL_20230107_200457003.jpg

IMG_20230106_200557_614.jpg

Sponsored

willhonkforparts

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD & 2008 JKUR
Occupation
Self-loathing
Awesome, nice rig!

OP
OP

Concentric_Killa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Rubi JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Mech Engineer
Awesome, nice rig!
Thanks. Still brand new with 1000mi. Plan is to to keep it as close to stock so far and then just adventure it. I like the look of the JT's on 37 but I do like my 18-20 mpg at the moment. Lol.

OP
OP

Concentric_Killa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Rubi JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Mech Engineer
Lots of things since the last update.

Got our GFC. This thing is awesome. We will use this in the up coming weeks.

I made some mud flaps out of some .09" ABS that I had in the garage and some Butyl Sheet. The mud flaps mount in the same locations as the Rokblokz. My mudflaps however actually flap and will be offroad safe. They work well.

I ordered the Next Venture Full Belly Skid. HD Diff Covers (Front and Rear), and Diff skids. I received the Diff covers and sprayed them with Raptor Liner.

Jeep Gladiator Concentric_Killer's Rubi PXL_20230324_151120754

Jeep Gladiator Concentric_Killer's Rubi PXL_20230325_005020328

AKJTR

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
USAF
The GFC looks good. I've been trying to convince my wife we need one but she won't budge. She does agree we need a topper for the amount of moving around we do for my work. So maybe I'll get an RSI or something. If you're taking your Gladiator on moderate to technical trails, I would look at some LCA, rear shock, and FAD skids. I have the Rock Hard 4x4 LCA and rear shock skids on mine and they definitely save your low hanging LCA and shock mounts. Just got my Metalcloak FAD skid yesterday.

OP
OP

Concentric_Killa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Rubi JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Mech Engineer
The GFC looks good. I've been trying to convince my wife we need one but she won't budge. She does agree we need a topper for the amount of moving around we do for my work. So maybe I'll get an RSI or something. If you're taking your Gladiator on moderate to technical trails, I would look at some LCA, rear shock, and FAD skids. I have the Rock Hard 4x4 LCA and rear shock skids on mine and they definitely save your low hanging LCA and shock mounts. Just got my Metalcloak FAD skid yesterday.
Oh I will definitely order the next venture FAD skid and the front weld on LCA skids. I wanted to take it easy on the checking account since I ordered the belly skid, diff skid, and HD diff covers all in one go...

Ill have to check out the rear LCA skids from those companies.

Some of my other items that I have been eyeing are a set of Anti-rock swaybars for both the front and rear. I like the rear option since it mounts it to the top of the frame and becomes less of a rock hazard. The front would replace the factory rubicon disconnect and allow me to drive faster than 18mph in 2wd or 4wd with the swaybar 'disconnected'.

I mainly bought the Rubicon for the transfer case/ factory lockers/ and 4:10 gears.
Sponsored