Sponsored

Consensus on how big of a problem the Glad (and some Wranglers) door connectors are

turbomc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
I had a problem with my door connectors in the way of bent and therefore misaligned pins and sockets. In the forum I've read of others trouble in that the Jeep considers those connectors as not warranty. How many of you out there have problems with these connectors? What are doing about it when you do have problems? There are door connector bodies and terminal repair sets on e-bay.
Sponsored

Lynn_F

First Name
Lynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
It's a shitty thing to have to worry about in a vehicle thats deaigned to have the doors removed. I had it fixed under warranty on my 2020 and then it happened again after my warranty expired. I tried to bend the pins and got the windows to work but I basically lived with no blindspot warning and my passenger door lock switch stopped working. I've had my 2022 for a couple of weeks and I will likely still take the doors off but will be a nervous wreck reinstalling them.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Consensus? Well, that you won't find on a forum where people gather to compare notes about PROBLEMS and fixes. Think of the tens of thousands who don't have issues while on a forum, everyone has issues.
I've not had troubles - however, temper that statement with the fact I've not had doors off and on a dozen times, either. So if it's a game of odds, compare it to buying 3 or 4 lottery tickets and hitting it big vs. buying 500 and winning. Time will tell.

I DO agree with those who have had the issue that the connector is grossly overly complex and is more akin to a connector that's a one and done used in production. It could be better and should be better and what's up with the complex latch? Totally NOT necessary. You don't see that complex a latch in most other places in Jeeps. Why there?

Undecided

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport S w/ Max Tow!
Occupation
Cybersecurity
Ran into this problem - Was able to manually fix them and have not had issues since.
What I think helps the most is I unhooked the vehicle side of the plug from its mounting point.

That lets me connect them at a much easier angle.

Sponsored

ShastaJT6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willy`s JT
While I agree with ShadowsPapa on the complexity of these connectors - I think they absolutely could have gone with a simpler connector, especially when its one that is going to be tinkered with so often - I tend to disagree with the general idea that these connectors are a "problem".

As SP said - there is opportunity for improvement, and these could be simpler, and this may not be the best application for these connectors - I've dealt with these locking gate connectors in automotive and IT for a long time. I believe the problem is people jamming them in and forcing them into place and then being surprised its damaged. I dealt with the same thing for many years in IT before I transferred to the automotive side.

"My usb ports are broken, these things are so lame!"
"My charging port is broken, these things are so flimsy!"

and so on, usually the people who push harder rather than ensuring proper alignment, who put excess strain on the harness and connections in one way or another, etc.

Now, there are definitely ways to make this easier. Obviously, the OEM using a simpler connection would be great - BUT, I strongly advise folks to remove the fir tree clip holding the OEM body harness to the plastic trim. It slides right off of the harness connector. Replace it with a piece of velcro.

This way, you can remove the harness and get ~10" of slack to work with, rather than bending over and staring at the pins and hoping its aligned right. With that slack, it is ten times easier to mate the connectors properly. I find that this is especially helpful for those of us with bad backs who dont want to do a contortionist act to get under the dash. After youve mated / unmated the harness, just stick it back to the trim with the velcro.

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
While I agree with ShadowsPapa on the complexity of these connectors - I think they absolutely could have gone with a simpler connector, especially when its one that is going to be tinkered with so often - I tend to disagree with the general idea that these connectors are a "problem".

As SP said - there is opportunity for improvement, and these could be simpler, and this may not be the best application for these connectors - I've dealt with these locking gate connectors in automotive and IT for a long time. I believe the problem is people jamming them in and forcing them into place and then being surprised its damaged. I dealt with the same thing for many years in IT before I transferred to the automotive side.

"My usb ports are broken, these things are so lame!"
"My charging port is broken, these things are so flimsy!"

and so on, usually the people who push harder rather than ensuring proper alignment, who put excess strain on the harness and connections in one way or another, etc.

Now, there are definitely ways to make this easier. Obviously, the OEM using a simpler connection would be great - BUT, I strongly advise folks to remove the fir tree clip holding the OEM body harness to the plastic trim. It slides right off of the harness connector. Replace it with a piece of velcro.

This way, you can remove the harness and get ~10" of slack to work with, rather than bending over and staring at the pins and hoping its aligned right. With that slack, it is ten times easier to mate the connectors properly. I find that this is especially helpful for those of us with bad backs who dont want to do a contortionist act to get under the dash. After youve mated / unmated the harness, just stick it back to the trim with the velcro.
Chromebook won't allow the Alt24 up arrow so i'll do this ^^^^^^^
Yeah, what he said. and I had to laugh because I experienced the "I can't get to the network" and saw what they had crammed Ethernet RJ45s into and worse.
I found you can develop a feel for these - but it's tricky when a 60+ year old with arthritis and back issues tries to get down there to aim them in straight and feel for the pins to hit their target. I think his velcro idea is great. I now have a new project for my JT and am glad as I was running out of things to "fix" or change.

I've been retired now 5 years but I still recall those days when even RS232 connectors got messed up. I mean - really? How in the world did you accomplish this?? Dang USB won't fit, I guess I need to push harder (no, you need to flip it over and it will slide right in)

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Ran into this problem - Was able to manually fix them and have not had issues since.
What I think helps the most is I unhooked the vehicle side of the plug from its mounting point.

That lets me connect them at a much easier angle.
Exactly this. When/if you bend the pins, pop the connector off the panel with a flathead and you'll be able to straighten bent pins much more easily. It happens to me early on and I was able to bend them back, no issues since, but I'm extra careful every time I put them back together.

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Also I see someone mentioned they were able to get them replaced under warranty, but I don't know how often that's the case. I remember reading in other threads that dealers are more or less instructed to blame it on user error. My or may not be but there's a bent pin thread every other month, so we must be a bunch of clumsy animals putting our jeeps back together (debateable)

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 YJ, '07 Ram, '16 JK, '21 Sport S Max Tow
Let me preface to say that I have not taken the doors off on my JT yet at all, and even though this is my 4th Jeep, it's the first one with power windows/locks/mirrors/etc.
But it seems to me there might be a market (doesn't even matter if the actual need is real or perceived) for some sort of adapter that locks on to the male and female sides of the oem plug and adapts it to something more robust. Undo the oem connector once to plug it in to the adapters, and then from now on plug and unplug the adapter halves. Or would that be too bulky?

Sponsored

trader979

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Financial Services
Let me preface to say that I have not taken the doors off on my JT yet at all, and even though this is my 4th Jeep, it's the first one with power windows/locks/mirrors/etc.
But it seems to me there might be a market (doesn't even matter if the actual need is real or perceived) for some sort of adapter that locks on to the male and female sides of the oem plug and adapts it to something more robust. Undo the oem connector once to plug it in to the adapters, and then from now on plug and unplug the adapter halves. Or would that be too bulky?

trader979

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Financial Services
There is a plastic plate that is supposed to cover the pins when the connector is removed. It appears it sometimes comes out of the notch. Pop it back on and pins are protected when reassembling.

80147318-12B7-4C9D-92CF-1C8D9E21F39F.png

4A35ADB6-A401-4376-9E5D-42EAEF92AC08.png

E63D8C68-1276-4706-A17B-9925E1D669F7.png

trader979

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Financial Services
There is a plastic plate that is supposed to cover the pins when the connector is removed. It appears it sometimes comes out of the notch. Pop it back on and pins are protected when reassembling.

Jeep Gladiator Consensus on how big of a problem the Glad (and some Wranglers) door connectors are E63D8C68-1276-4706-A17B-9925E1D669F7

Jeep Gladiator Consensus on how big of a problem the Glad (and some Wranglers) door connectors are E63D8C68-1276-4706-A17B-9925E1D669F7

I’ve had my doors off multiple times and always look to check the sleeve is covering the pins before reassembling. As long as it’s covering the pins, won’t have any issues. If it isn’t, takes only a few seconds to pop it back on.

berb

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gadiator Sport / Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited
Occupation
Teacher
I have had this problem and I was fortunate to get it covered under warranty. Here are the issues.
1) Jeep should have used a connector will less flexible pins like in a marine connector that uses cylinders. Like this.
Jeep Gladiator Consensus on how big of a problem the Glad (and some Wranglers) door connectors are 1645033583781

2) The dealership never showed me how to use the connector properly.
People will put the connectors together and use the lever to pull them together. Using the lever to bring the pieces together puts too much pressure on the pins if they are not aligned properly and then will bend the pins.

You are supposed to put the connectors together and then allow your light pressure to move the lever as you bring the connectors together. Once the lever moves then you pull it down to finish the connection. This process prevents bent pins.

Just my 2 cents.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I have had this problem and I was fortunate to get it covered under warranty. Here are the issues.
1) Jeep should have used a connector will less flexible pins like in a marine connector that uses cylinders. Like this.
Jeep Gladiator Consensus on how big of a problem the Glad (and some Wranglers) door connectors are 1645033583781

2) The dealership never showed me how to use the connector properly.
People will put the connectors together and use the lever to pull them together. Using the lever to bring the pieces together puts too much pressure on the pins if they are not aligned properly and then will bend the pins.

You are supposed to put the connectors together and then allow your light pressure to move the lever as you bring the connectors together. Once the lever moves then you pull it down to finish the connection. This process prevents bent pins.

Just my 2 cents.
That is exactly the process I've been using. I don't use the lever until it's already moving and the pin are engaged. The lever will actually pull things before the pins are in the proper spots if not careful. I push together manually and the lever is already partway moved and then I only aid it in moving the rest of the way, still putting the halves together manually and guiding the lever instead of the other way around.
Sponsored