First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Cherokee Sport
Occupation
Security Corporal
Hi, I'm new here, and as you can tell I do not own a jeep, I've always loved jeeps but I wanted a truck. Until recently I never knew they had a built a truck, I only knew of the gladiator. But I have been test driving new trucks and I'm torn between the Gladiator, Colorado and the full-size Silverado, but when I test drove the gladiator I feel in love.

But I been watching a lot of videos on the gladiator pros and cons. I am concerned about the reliability of the vehicle on jd power is rating was 2.5. Have anyone had any issues with the steering on the highways or smoke from engine or any issues?

I need to decide on what truck I'm buying, so I'm open to opinions and thoughts
Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I got zero issues with mine but I've also owned other Jeep's and know what to expect. If your expecting a smooth cadillac ride then it's probably not for you. If you are wanting something you can take the doors and top off of, and still haul some stuff in the back and tow with, and go off road in then it's probably the best all around vehicle for that. As far as reliability, the 2021s should be a lot more reliable steering wise than the some of the 2020 models because of the TSB that's been released which addressed the bad steering box and replaces it. I personally haven't had mine replaced because mine drives fine. But if your comparing how it drives on long trips compared to say a Ram, Ford or Chevy, Ram, Ford or Chevy are going to be more comfortable than a Gladiator. Once again though I am coming from a JKU, TJ, XJ, so I know how they ride and I will still continue to buy them. If your good with giving up a little comfort for a lot a fun then it's the Truck for you. If you want to be like other people and either try to make your truck look like a Gladiator or wish you had bought one, then get another truck.

DirkG

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
Welcome Michele to the board and kudos for asking questions prior to making your decision. We see questions like this and when we see a full-size mentioned (Silverado), it really depends on your daily needs (towing, type of hauling, size of family, etc.).

I can speak to your concerns as this is my first Jeep and also my first truck. I'm a "car guy" and have owned Acuras, BMWs, Chevys, Fords, etc. and have no allegiance to FCA/Jeep. In fact, this is my first FCA. That being said, I've never had a vehicle that's been more "fun" to own. I see you're in LV which has a similar car culture to SoCal, but there's something about the Gladiator that grabs people's attention. I see now what the "Jeep culture" is about and this will not be my last. My 10 year old son has already laid claim to my Gladiator when he can drive. Ha.

The aspect that sets the Jeep apart from the Colorado / Silverado is the convertible capability. In LV, I'd imagine this is a huge plus (as it is here in SoCal). The fact that it's a convertible truck really makes it in a class by itself. And it's no-nonsense nature - the construction is simple and there are endless number of factory and aftermarket customizing that can occur.

For me, I buy engines, then the vehicle that comes with it is a bonus. I'm a fan of this FCA 3.6L V6 as it's used in Jeep Wranglers to Chrysler 300s. I have yet to have a problem with my truck (knock on wood). Obviously you're taking more of a risk than if you're buying a Honda, but that's where you need to quantify your value of the "fun" factor (how much risk are you willing to take?).

The steering has a TSB and from the info that has been distributed, it was a 2020 issue and all 2021s have the updated steering boxes.

Hope this information helps Michele and good luck with your choice :like::beer: :jk:

mike921921

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Altitude
Occupation
Retired
What a cute doggie . My Gladiator (no issues to date) is my 4th Jeep and 2nd pickup. I guess the main difference between the Colorado, Honda, Silverado, Ranger, Tacoma, F150, (and all other commodity pickups) and the Gladiator is - well, the Gladiator is a Jeep. Difficult to describe, but it's a cultural thing going back to '41. Good luck

Ravenron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer
Hi Michelle and welcome to the forum! I agree with all of the above and can add the following: My first Jeep and, like you, I've always wanted a Jeep but always needed a truck. The Gladiator gave me a chance to have both! As far as reliability, I havent seen any of the motor issues...seems fine for me. I did have the steering issue mentioned in the TSB but after having that addressed, it drives great! I wouldn't be afraid of a 2020, especially if you can get a good deal and have the dealer do the TSB before delivery. 2021 would be even better.

Finally, while looking, be sure to check out the Mojave...all the "attitude" of the Rubicon but better suited to your environment around Las Wages. I love mine and it rides better than any Jeep I've ever been in! Way plush and comfortable on the street and very capable off road. Just not particularly suited (at least not to Rubicon level) for rock crawling. I will say it's great on "washboard" roads and fire roads here in Colorado.

Good luck and good shopping!

Sponsored

OP
OP
MissGunslinger
First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Cherokee Sport
Occupation
Security Corporal
Wow so many replies thank you for your opinions!! I am not looking for Cadillac of trucks but I do help out my brother bringing truck parts to California and moving my mom (constantly). I like being different.

My family size is me and hubby, sometimes i carry 2 more people. But mostly its just me and my 1 other, lol. I come from a silverado family, lol.. My mom prefers sedans and cars.

I go to the desert often to go shooting and I love going to the mountains. My dog Captain(in the picture)also loves riding in my truck! Thank you again it really helps with my decision.

Last edited:

sarcasm

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Size! The Gladiator is not a small vehicle but compared to the Silverado it will be much easier to live with day to day as a daily driver. Parking with a long vehicle like the Gladiator can be an issue in a deck or parking lot but much better than a full size truck. The Colorado should be similar to the Gladiator.

Engine: The Gladiator V6 has been around for a long time in multiple vehicles and is considered to be extremely reliable. You can find people to complain that it is underpowered but I find it plenty fast for day to day driving as well as towing a box. Gas milage is a little disappointing.

Towing: If you plan to buy an RV then get the Silverado but the Gladiator and Colorado can tow a decent amount although you may want to opt for the Max Tow Gladiator.

The Jeep is the only Convertible Truck around and that is its main selling point. I have the Dual Top option and would recommend it if you live someplace with real Winters. It is just a few minutes to put the top down and remove the back Window. The Freedom panels are nice but it is not the same as a full top down experience. You get nothing like it in the Chevy options.

Jeep actually ranks pretty good in the Consumer Reports rankings now. But really every automaker has upped their game compared to 20 years ago when you bought Japanese or lived with the sub par quality.

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
I got zero issues with mine but I've also owned other Jeep's and know what to expect. If your expecting a smooth cadillac ride then it's probably not for you. If you are wanting something you can take the doors and top off of, and still haul some stuff in the back and tow with, and go off road in then it's probably the best all around vehicle for that. As far as reliability, the 2021s should be a lot more reliable steering wise than the some of the 2020 models because of the TSB that's been released which addressed the bad steering box and replaces it. I personally haven't had mine replaced because mine drives fine. But if your comparing how it drives on long trips compared to say a Ram, Ford or Chevy, Ram, Ford or Chevy are going to be more comfortable than a Gladiator. Once again though I am coming from a JKU, TJ, XJ, so I know how they ride and I will still continue to buy them. If your good with giving up a little comfort for a lot a fun then it's the Truck for you. If you want to be like other people and either try to make your truck look like a Gladiator or wish you had bought one, then get another truck.

Are you planning to eventually try to get the TSB. I am kind of in the same boat you are.

Ravenron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Are you planning to eventually try to get the TSB. I am kind of in the same boat you are.
You both really should get it done...you don't know how much better it could be... :)

Sponsored

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
You both really should get it done...you don't know how much better it could be... :)
Not to hijack the thread...

but I also have read how much of a nightmare it could turn into. lol

OP
OP
MissGunslinger
First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Cherokee Sport
Occupation
Security Corporal
Ok, so I just saw the new colors they are adding, I'm usually all black kinda girl but I'm digging on the snazzberry...

DirkG

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
Ok, so I just saw the new colors they are adding, I'm usually all black kinda girl but I'm digging on the snazzberry...
Jeep has the history and the stones to offer a wide variety of colors. My Gator color is the #1 compliment I get on my JT. Snazzberry is a unique color...check out the Snazzberry thread as owners are already taking delivery.

Ravenron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Not to hijack the thread...

but I also have read how much of a nightmare it could turn into. lol
Nightmare is only through dealer BS...seems like everyone who's done it has had positive results. That said, there's always someone who isn't happy...look long enough and you'll find them. VAST majority of folks are experiencing improved results. Longterm: I tend to believe a steel hardpart on the Jeep is gonna be more durable than an aluminum one. That's just me...

And to the OP - the new colors are pretty awesome! I like the "Sarge Green" but Snazzberry is also pretty darn cool. I just sold my Hellcat Challenger in that same color - on the Hellcat it was called "Octane Red".
Sponsored