First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
81’ Cherokee,20' GMC AT4, ‘18 4Runner, cross-trek
Occupation
professional big dumb animal.........
Interesting read- I like the new Tacoma’s- so this is certainly surprising to me.....

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/consum...NV5ahoaXdUFgDeKAlOMeccaC50fFWofuN-vRMaWRfxM-I

Edit: just want to add that while interesting- motorbuscuit is an oddball group. My bet in producing this- is to track and see what happens in the blog and auto media world just because they push stuff like this. Read and peruse for your own mind thought processes- but a kink in the mind entertaining read.... maybe
Sponsored

Last edited:

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Interesting read- I like the new Tacoma’s- so this is certainly surprising to me.....

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/consum...NV5ahoaXdUFgDeKAlOMeccaC50fFWofuN-vRMaWRfxM-I
"Predicted reliability ratings" are anyone's guess. True the Gladiator has components that have been proven to last in other vehicles, but the Gladiator itself has only been around for a couple of years and there were early recalls, TSB's out for it already. I do hope my Gladiator will last a long time, longer than third gen Tacoma's, but time will tell.

OP
OP
Caraholic

Caraholic

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
81’ Cherokee,20' GMC AT4, ‘18 4Runner, cross-trek
Occupation
professional big dumb animal.........
"Predicted reliability ratings" are anyone's guess. True the Gladiator has components that have been proven to last in other vehicles, but the Gladiator itself has only been around for a couple of years and there were early recalls, TSB's out for it already. I do hope my Gladiator will last a long time, longer than third gen Tacoma's, but time will tell.
Yes it’s just an interesting quick take- but I’d leave it a a brisk perusal. These guys as stated in other threads- they (motorbuscuit) push wierd if not, off basis writings almost to see just what happens, since they’re so off the target usually. But interesting non the less and I tossed it out there just as a catch all. Read but be mindful the guys are diffferent... I’ll. Make a quick edit to that

CivilJeep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Diesel, 2022 4XE
Occupation
Engineer
I have to believe that part of this may be about managing expectations. Let's face it, if you buy a Toyota, you are purchasing the expectation to never see the inside of a service waiting room. Us Jeep guys already know that won't happen, so when it inevitably does, it was expected. It wouldn't take more than a few Tacoma's built on a Friday to ruin that reputation.

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
Well, yes. Because if you bought a Tacoma and see a Gladiator, you'd be less satisfied. I love giving smug glances at Tacomas when the weather is nice and I have the top and doors off. Or when wheeling with them.

The 2021 Toyota Tacoma didn’t just score some pretty low predicted reliability ratings from Consumer Reports. It also earned itself a three out of five predicted owner satisfaction rating. Unfortunately, though, that shouldn’t be much of a surprise. According to Consumer Reports’ data, owner satisfaction has been a struggle for the Toyota Tacoma for quite some time.

Sponsored

DirtySaylor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
If you are gonna go with a tacoma, why not get the Tundra? The gladiator does everything better than the tundra, IMO. Then you have the resale. Can't beat a jeep wrangler or JT on resale.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT
I just read the reliability article in Jan 2021 issue of Consumer Reports and they gave the Gladiator a reliability rating of 99, the highest of any vehicle in this report. Their reliability ratings are based on input from member surveys.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
I see these comparisons between Taco and Jt and think....who cares?

Other than they both have 4 tires, seat 5, and have a pickup bed.......not even the same type of tool from an off road standpoint.

I mentioned to a Toyota purist friend of mine that I had ordered an ecodiesel JT......his response literally was "Why did you buy that POS"? He knows how I use my vehicles and the JT fits it 90%......Maybe just hating cause he can't afford it?

I have driven 8 Tacomas this year while regearing 5 of them and never thought...."I really want one of these"! I did 1 JL gear job and liked the overall ride and package, but hated the 3.6 as I have for the past 9 years and the 3.8 before that. Did a JT suspension and axle build and thought to myself "If they ever offered a decent power plant, I could totally see me driving one if these"!

Sponsored

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
Motor biscuit is a third rate click chasing media house run by Starbucks swilling first year marketing grads sitting on exercise balls in some loft somewhere.

As I read this, it is an article that leverages another article. So, someone else does the work and these boobs write some slop commenting on someone else's comments.

It was flattering to the gladiator but for what? A hope and a prayer that it ends up being reliable?

I've had a Tacoma and it is damn reliable. I hope that my gladiator will be as reliable but that is a steep climb..

I still like the gladiator better.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fiat 124 Spider, 2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I owned a 2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road. It was very well put together, it rode comfortably, was quiet as a vault, and very capable on the trail. But was never vale to find a comfortable driving position, and the powertrain was atrocious: the engine felt anemic and the automatic refused to do anything besides hold the gear it was on.

I kept being told that “that’s the way it was designed to work.” Perhaps, but it was still atrocious to drive. Particularly on the two-lane roads we have around here, where you need to pass without the engine or the transmission second-guessing your intentions.

I sold it six months later. Got what I paid for it new, minus tax & license. Now that is some resale!

Took my money and got me a JL. Best decision ever.

Pity. It was a handsome truck.
Jeep Gladiator Consumer Reports Gives the 2021 Jeep Gladiator the Edge Over the Toyota Tacoma 368393A0-A93A-4A9B-A1C3-5BA18C922B47
Sponsored