Sponsored

Continuing the earned name of "Eco-Boom"?

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired
Found On Road Dead.

Fix or Repair Daily.

Any Ford product I've ever had was a piece of junk. My '98 Exploder (bought used in '06)couldn't get out of it's own way with the 4.NO V-6. Was VERY happy when I got rid of it after a year and got an '03 Grand Cherokee Laredo...given to me by my Father as he was getting a new car.

The best Ford we had (as a family) was a '69 Econoline 150 with I believe the 302 cu.in that we'd use to pull our 19 foot travel trailer (family of 5 with a dog). It pulled that trailer all over northern PA on Rt. 6, and elsewhere, no problems. Dad totaled it on a muddy road in '72. Replaced it with a '72 Econoline, similarly equipped. NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS!!! Constantly overheated, burned through spark plugs...I remember one vacation Dad replacing the plugs and showing me how bad the ones he just removed were vs. brand new plugs. Couldn't tow that travel trailer for sh*t.

Eventually replaced it with a '74 Chevy Suburban, got a bigger travel trailer and no more issues. I actually learned to drive and took my drivers test in that Suburban.

Later on, Dad bought an Exploder to tow behind his motorhome. Had it for a year and dumped it for a Jeep Cherokee initially then an '03 Grand Cherokee as they were simply better vehicles and didn't need a special 'tow neutral' kit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
OVERLORD

OVERLORD

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
My last vehicle was an Eco-Boom.

While towing a trailer, WAY BELOW its advertised towing capability, in the mountains, on a summer day, it went into "Engine Save Mod".

That meant cutting out the turbo.

Ugly.

Towing a trailer in those conditions, with the basic small engine, without benefit of the Ford designed power adder.

I didn't think the engine would make it, and there was no place to pull over to "Let It Rest".

I decided my next vehicle would be naturally aspirated, hence the purchase of the "Overlord".

Much happier, and better gas mileage too.

redriderjf87

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
saltmustflow.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT, '81 Z-28, '18 TW200, '72 CT 175
Occupation
Electrical Controls Engineer
I'm sure Ford will figure it out, but not at my expense please.

In fairness, my limited experience with Fords has been rock solid, but they were proven simple drivetrains from a long time ago - 97 B2300 with the old Pinto 2.3L, and 02 Mustang with the 4.6 2V.

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I was never gonna get the 2.7 anyway (no manual option) but one of the many things that finally pulled me off the bronco and onto the gladiator was the fact that I like things simple, and nothing's simpler than natural aspiration. especially with auto stop/start in the mix. I do NOT like the idea of auto stop starting a turbo'd engine. Shit we used to run turbo timers back in the day to make sure they wouldn't shut down too hot, and now they're burning that prop shaft oil every few minutes?

Turbos are great when you want performance. I have no problems with the Raptor giving up the 6.2 for the 3.5, or the fact that the GT was a v6. Even the Braptor (as ugly as it is) i'm fine with the 3.0TT because of it's intended uses. Hell, one of my favorite cars in the world right now is a dual-charged (turbo and supercharged) plug-in (v60 T8. check it out if you're a wagon lover).

But for a Jeep or Jeep-equivalent, i'm a firm believe in KISS.

Sponsored

JET_83

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Found On Road Dead.

Fix or Repair Daily.

Any Ford product I've ever had was a piece of junk. My '98 Exploder (bought used in '06)couldn't get out of it's own way with the 4.NO V-6. Was VERY happy when I got rid of it after a year and got an '03 Grand Cherokee Laredo...given to me by my Father as he was getting a new car.

The best Ford we had (as a family) was a '69 Econoline 150 with I believe the 302 cu.in that we'd use to pull our 19 foot travel trailer (family of 5 with a dog). It pulled that trailer all over northern PA on Rt. 6, and elsewhere, no problems. Dad totaled it on a muddy road in '72. Replaced it with a '72 Econoline, similarly equipped. NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS!!! Constantly overheated, burned through spark plugs...I remember one vacation Dad replacing the plugs and showing me how bad the ones he just removed were vs. brand new plugs. Couldn't tow that travel trailer for sh*t.

Eventually replaced it with a '74 Chevy Suburban, got a bigger travel trailer and no more issues. I actually learned to drive and took my drivers test in that Suburban.

Later on, Dad bought an Exploder to tow behind his motorhome. Had it for a year and dumped it for a Jeep Cherokee initially then an '03 Grand Cherokee as they were simply better vehicles and didn't need a special 'tow neutral' kit.
To be fair it’s only been the Broncos that have reliability issues. Chrysler/Dodge has had way more than Ford has over the years.

ScottBeach

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator sport s
Occupation
Engineer
Had 1 ford product. Never again. Transmission replaced multiple times. Spent last year at dealer with never more than 3 days out of the shop. Happy when I sold that turd off to a carmax dealer having driven it from Ford on a day of repair to carmax before it could fail again. (Threw code on their lot ) they took.it at agreed price anyway. F### Ford. My kids know if they buy a Ford I will never come get them on the side of the road. Had an edge in LA a couple weeks ago. Failed on the PCH. Rentals are bad. But guess what. Dash light was for the stupid trans.

Pedal Metal

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 1975 Camaro, 1973 Beetle
Occupation
Analyst
I had a F150 crew cab 3.5eco. I noticed the cam phase sensor rattle before the service area knew it was a thing. Overall, not a bad truck, but I just didn’t want to own that motor out of warranty. The spooling down after acceleration was an annoyance to me with time and I just know i would have enjoyed the V8 more. That said, Ford, missed a portion of my kind in the market without a v8 option, IMO. I am 90% satisfied with my current V6 Mojave, but a bit more torque and hp would be nice. I have driven the 6.2 Wrangler and it was so silly it made perfect sense. However, that’s not all that necessary for a DD. I’d just like to see a 300’ish CI 8 in a glad.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I've owned 3 Ford Probes, 4 Mustang GTs, 2 Ford Escapes, and 2 Ford Focuses, just a few of the nearly 50 cars me and the wife have bought in 25yrs of marriage and I never had a problem out of any of them. Have friends and uncles who own Ford F150's and that's what we have as our company vehicles at work, some with over 200,000 problem free miles. If you read enough on the internet you will find problem childs in ever make and model, plenty of horror stories on this forum alone about Jeep Gladiator failures. I find it hilarious when these threads pop up bashing the Broncos. Sounds like a hint of jealousy to me.

I have driven the 2.7 Bronco and it will leave a smile on your face with the amount of power and torque it has compared to the JT but I wouldn't give up my JT for one because I need a truck.

SnazzGlad

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Had a 2001 Mustang GT. Bought in 2007 with 17k miles on it. Fuel pump went out a week after buying it. Was a fun car besides that. Also had a 2003 Focus SVT, absolutely loved that car! Got t- boned and it got totaled. Only a couple minor issues with that car. Had 75k on it. Insurance gave me more than I paid for it which got me into a brand new 2011 Silverado. Every new car brand has their issues. By parents always buy Chrysler Sebrings and I always say Chrysler is junk lol. They still have their 2008 drop top in like new condition.

Sponsored

OP
OP
OVERLORD

OVERLORD

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm a Ford guy. Been driving Fords of all types since the eighties. Bought a Gladiator, after my Eco-Boom experience.

Akgladiator

Banned
Banned
First Name
Ak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Gladiator Wrangler Camaro Mustang GXP Taurus
Occupation
Bee
My last vehicle was an Eco-Boom.

While towing a trailer, WAY BELOW its advertised towing capability, in the mountains, on a summer day, it went into "Engine Save Mod".

That meant cutting out the turbo.

Ugly.

Towing a trailer in those conditions, with the basic small engine, without benefit of the Ford designed power adder.

I didn't think the engine would make it, and there was no place to pull over to "Let It Rest".

I decided my next vehicle would be naturally aspirated, hence the purchase of the "Overlord".

Much happier, and better gas mileage too.
This is your side of the story, what's the other side of the story? Why the engine gave up?

I have owned many Ford turbo vehicles, never have an issue with them. Maintenance is always on time. Only issues that happened because deep shit dealers who messed it out.

Spare me your na engine is better crap. Watch my taillights!

Akgladiator

Banned
Banned
First Name
Ak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Gladiator Wrangler Camaro Mustang GXP Taurus
Occupation
Bee
I've owned 3 Ford Probes, 4 Mustang GTs, 2 Ford Escapes, and 2 Ford Focuses, just a few of the nearly 50 cars me and the wife have bought in 25yrs of marriage and I never had a problem out of any of them. Have friends and uncles who own Ford F150's and that's what we have as our company vehicles at work, some with over 200,000 problem free miles. If you read enough on the internet you will find problem childs in ever make and model, plenty of horror stories on this forum alone about Jeep Gladiator failures. I find it hilarious when these threads pop up bashing the Broncos. Sounds like a hint of jealousy to me.

I have driven the 2.7 Bronco and it will leave a smile on your face with the amount of power and torque it has compared to the JT but I wouldn't give up my JT for one because I need a truck.
When Ford builds a bronco truck, goodbye gladiator!

OP
OP
OVERLORD

OVERLORD

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is your side of the story, what's the other side of the story? Why the engine gave up?

I have owned many Ford turbo vehicles, never have an issue with them. Maintenance is always on time. Only issues that happened because deep shit dealers who messed it out.

Spare me your na engine is better crap. Watch my taillights!
You make assumptions without facts, were you there? I don't care about taillights. I care about making the trip successfully. Without drama. The engine didn't fail. It worked as advertised. Pitifully. Religious on maintenance. 3K oil changes. I'll stick with NA. Thanks for your ............... input.

Blue Ridge

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys in sarge green
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Pet shop owner
I drove an F 150 and a Ranger (which was a used park service vehicle) as work trucks for years. Both ran great and I'll never be a hater. Also a Chevy CK that I abused on hunting trails that ran forever and is still in the family. I am not a fan of turbo engines in general, but hate for the major brands feels a little overblown to me. They build good trucks. You just can't take the tops and door off so here I am.
Sponsored