Sponsored

Converting factory ESS battery system into a (factory) Dual battery setup ?

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
Has anyone attempted this without a complex, intimidating & costly aftermarket setup?

the factory manages to charge two batteries. I know that even with the Tazer disabled ESS the little battery still gets charged and it can be removed and the Jeep still works so…Other than some sort of a mounting solution why can’t we just use it (factory dual charging setup) with a second, high quality battery? what am I missing here?
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheSolarWizard

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Use it for what?
Other than it’s intended use, it’s not big enough for a true secondary battery.

Kevin
apologies for being too vague.

id like to mount two high quality batteries and just have one for normal functions of the Jeep + factory aux (lighting and gmr) and the second battery for winching, spod + accessories and/or fridge

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
apologies for being too vague.

id like to mount two high quality batteries and just have one for normal functions of the Jeep + factory aux (lighting and gmr) and the second battery for winching, spod + accessories and/or fridge
That's the Genesis dual battery kit. It uses a Cole-Hersee Smart Isolator to keep both batteries from becoming discharged. It is a good option, but does requires the purchase of two new batteries. It replaces the ESS battery with a full size battery.

The primary purpose of the ESS battery is to keep the computers stable so they don't reboot from a low voltage situation. As long as the primary battery is in good shape, the truck will function with a failing ESS battery.

The Tazer, and all the similar devices, does not disable the ESS system. They just prevent it from turning off the engine by telling it the temporary disable button on the dash has been pushed. The ESS system is always active and monitoring.

The alternative to the Genesis kit is to purchase a Smart Isolator and add another battery for the accessories.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TheSolarWizard

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
That's the Genesis dual battery kit. It uses a Cole-Hersee Smart Isolator to keep both batteries from becoming discharged. It is a good option, but does requires the purchase of two new batteries. It replaces the ESS battery with a full size battery.

The primary purpose of the ESS battery is to keep the computers stable so they don't reboot from a low voltage situation. As long as the primary battery is in good shape, the truck will function with a failing ESS battery.

The Tazer, and all the similar devices, does not disable the ESS system. They just prevent it from turning off the engine by telling it the temporary disable button on the dash has been pushed. The ESS system is always active and monitoring.

The alternative to the Genesis kit is to purchase a Smart Isolator and add another battery for the accessories.
ok but why can’t I just mount an additional high quality battery under hood etc and skip all the additional wiring If the Jeep already charges a second battery, monitors the state of charge and keeps one discharged battery from disrupting the other?

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
ok but why can’t I just mount an additional high quality battery under hood etc and skip all the additional wiring If the Jeep already charges a second battery, monitors the state of charge and keeps one discharged battery from disrupting the other?
The Smart Isolator is what keeps the batteries separated from each other.

If the main battery is good, the charging system will mask the problem until the ESS battery fails, but it will provide a message on the ESS screen that indicates there is a charging problem.

You can replace the ESS battery with a full size battery. There is no place to mount the second battery under the hood without using the Genesis kit. The factory configuration does not prevent both batteries from becoming discharged.

OP
OP
TheSolarWizard

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
The Smart Isolator is what keeps the batteries separated from each other.

If the main battery is good, the charging system will mask the problem until the ESS battery fails, but it will provide a message on the ESS screen that indicates there is a charging problem.

You can replace the ESS battery with a full size battery. There is no place to mount the second battery under the hood without using the Genesis kit. The factory configuration does not prevent both batteries from becoming discharged.
so if I were to source a bracket that’s diesel compatible for duals and extend the lead to reach it, then there’s not really any issues with this idea? I already carry a great jumper pack and cables

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
so if I were to source a bracket that’s diesel compatible for duals and extend the lead to reach it, then there’s not really any issues with this idea? I already carry a great jumper pack and cables
You would just have to be careful not to drain the batteries too low. Contact Genesis and see if they are working on a diesel kit. They sell the dual battery tray for the gas engine, separately, for those that want to DIY.

I left the factory setup intact and installed a Smart Isolator and a third battery. It is mounted to the frame behind the right rear wheel. I used cable kits from Warn to make the connection to the rear battery.

Sponsored

Kitfoxbill

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Suburban
Has anyone attempted this without a complex, intimidating & costly aftermarket setup?

the factory manages to charge two batteries. I know that even with the Tazer disabled ESS the little battery still gets charged and it can be removed and the Jeep still works so…Other than some sort of a mounting solution why can’t we just use it (factory dual charging setup) with a second, high quality battery? what am I missing here?
If the small batter is disconnected the vehicle wont start. Check out video from jeepinforment.

jeepers29

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR, GC
Occupation
Domestic engineer
Has anyone figured out a way to eliminate the aux battery? It seems like thar is where most of the battery troubles are coming from.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone figured out a way to eliminate the aux battery? It seems like thar is where most of the battery troubles are coming from.
You cannot eliminate it. You can rewire it so everything connects to the primary battery, which will present stability issues in the electrical system. You could replace it with a larger battery, but that requires mounting and cabling changes.

jeepers29

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR, GC
Occupation
Domestic engineer
You cannot eliminate it. You can rewire it so everything connects to the primary battery, which will present stability issues in the electrical system. You could replace it with a larger battery, but that requires mounting and cabling changes.
OK, thanks for the info.
Sponsored