Sponsored

cost of 40s: 2.5K OR 30K lol

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
so I ordered 40s (nittos trail grapplers 40x13.5 for 17inch rims)

I have 2 options when they arrive next year (I have the lift and clearance to run them without rubbing (RK 3-inch no limits and chopped fenders with right offset wheels)

A: slap the tires on my then current setup of upgraded stock axles with 4.10s and see what happens.

B: do it right first time and do axles, new wheels (this one stings) and steering. I am leaning towards the D60s w e-lockers here but curious what others are running. gearing 5.13s I am set on and I do think I need a steering upgrade as well. Itā€™s hard to turn the 37s sometimes on the trails already. I was looking at about 16-17K for axles, 3K for steering and 2K for wheels plus 2.5K for tires and a lot of hours for labor so I am guessing this could end up closer to 30K and I will need a new solution to carry the spare. which then brings me to my next question: is this all worth it? I do wheel this thing a lot and do 40s make such a big difference over 37s ? Plus thereā€™s all the added weight from wheels, tires and axles though with the HEMI not too concerned about that and lastly the practicality of lugging the spare around. No doubt 40s look and do great but is it that much better than 37s? I was surprised how much better 37s are on the trail versus 35s though.

I could also take that 30K and just buy a TJ or a buggy lol.

I want to run 40s but I also do not want to run 40s šŸ˜œ
Sponsored

DankjeeP

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR, '98 XJ, '17 FLHXS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
HW Engineer
Do you really need a spare? Get tires with beefy sidewalls, run bead locks, carry a puncture kit.

LaterGator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator
Only place to keep a 40" spare is in the bed. I don't think any of the bumper mounted tire carriers support a 40" spare. You might build a custom carrier to work. If you need the bed for gear, then the spare in the bed is going to be a problem. The weight of the 40" tire/wheel makes it hard to put anywhere up high unless you got help to get it down and back up.

WK2JT

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTC
Vehicle Showcase
I get itā€¦ 40ā€™s look really cool. But for all the reasons you listed, Iā€™m calling it a day with 37ā€™s myself.

Sponsored

OP
OP
shrinkhead

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
yeah probably bed rack for the spare but also I forgot the cost of new driveshaft to go into the equation.

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Id not do the tons until you break something. Truss and gusset the d44s for a fraction of the cost and you can probably wheel it for many years unless you use a lot of skinny pedal everywhere.
Sponsored