First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 gladiator overland
Occupation
Low voltage VP
Looking for input on my gladiator. Been at dealer 5 times now they have replaced track bar, steering box, drag link, Pittman arm. Re torqued everything and re aligned multiple times. And a new fox steering stabilizer.

mopar lift

they added an aftermarket control arm drop bracket to attempt to remedy the problem but it caused weird drivability issues like bump steer and a awkward double rebound bounce over smaller bumps like expansion joints.

I explicitly explained to the dealer to remove the aftermarket part since it didn’t belong on the jeep engineered kit, and they tried to just put it on again and told me to deal with it. I refused the part because “legally” if it causes a crash and I kill someone because if it they will tel me to kick rocks because it was aftermarket. Also, why did it work perfectly for 13k miles and magically now it does not. Something’s just not right and they can’t figure it out.
Sponsored

Mball488

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Military
A. What size tires are you running? also what brand?
B. Did you upgrade steering stabilizer?

Those two things are some of the biggest contributors of death wobble. It may not be the key, but its certainly where id start.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ

Those two things are some of the biggest contributors of death wobble. It may not be the key, but its certainly where id start.
Neither of these will cause death wobble. A stabilizer is a band-aid for a greater issue and the only thing wheels and tires will do is exacerbate an existing problem if you have a large offset wheel or over-inflated tires. Either way there is still an underlying issue being exaggerated.

It's 100% something alignment or suspension. Too little caster is the most common cause and you should aim a degree or so more positive than spec. Otherwise it's likely a defective, loose, or worn part in the suspension.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, did they check and torque the ball joints?

Anyway, there's a lot of missing info here, sort of a mix of things -
What tires?
Did you change wheels?
Are you running wheel spacers?

The bit about the control arm brackets makes no sense, IMO. Brackets returning the control arms to parallel to the ground should have no impact on "bump steer" or "double-rebound" over small bumps. That makes no sense.

Was the axle re-centered after the lift?
I know folks will say it's not necessary but mine was lifted only a bit over 1" and the axle was definitely off-center and that can change the geometry.
Bump steer shouldn't have any relationship to the control arms.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
If this is the Mopar lift then I'd have it removed and a better lift installed. Many love theirs and I don't discredit them but it's very possible something on your truck is on the edge of spec and the lift pushed it out. IMO at the height of the Mopar lift it should at the very least include an adjustable track bar and one side of the control arms so I would personally start with those to make sure your alignment is correct. If those are causing drivability concerns on their own they're either not done correctly or they're not the cause of your issue.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
IMO at the height of the Mopar lift it should at the very least include an adjustable track bar
Yeah. MY feelings too.

I also forgot to ask what toe was set to.
Quite a few things we don't know.
What are the alignment settings, tires and sizes, wheels and so on.

I had an interesting reminder of how drastic caster can cause DW - I had a cart at Menards that once I got moving at some speed with it, one of the front wheels/casters, violently shook side to side. I thought gee, this thing has DW - and it's about caster in that case LOL

Sponsored

Mball488

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Military
Neither of these will cause death wobble. A stabilizer is a band-aid for a greater issue and the only thing wheels and tires will do is exacerbate an existing problem if you have a large offset wheel or over-inflated tires. Either way there is still an underlying issue being exaggerated.

It's 100% something alignment or suspension. Too little caster is the most common cause and you should aim a degree or so more positive than spec. Otherwise it's likely a defective, loose, or worn part in the suspension.
I would have to disagree. Both of those things are key components in solving death wobble. Tires and introducing a lift (granted a MOPAR lift isn't high) but a steering stabilizer is one of the key components in stopping it. Its not a "band-aid" its a legit part. One of the main reasons its there. Now its a very opinionated subject, but its one of the first things someone should look at esp considering that almost all installers of lifts and tires do mount and balancing plus an alignment.

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
And find another dealer, or even a non dealer off-road shop with some experienced mechanics.
These clowns at the dealerships can't do anything if the computer doesn't tell them what to try. Not all of them, but damn.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Im interested in what you find after following the suggestions so far. Im willing to be that it has to do with the lift, or caster/toe.

Toe is VERY easy to check and reset your self. After doing it once I wont pay anyone to do it again.

as for the lift. I remember early on a mess of shops, and DIYers, were not replacing the front spring upper isolators correctly and that was causing the springs to bow. MAYBE it has to do with something like that.

OP
OP

Pcasp3

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 gladiator overland
Occupation
Low voltage VP

Stock. Tested brand new wheels and tires too
It’s got whatever fox single stabilizer but in theory it shouldn’t need one
Sponsored