Couple of Audio related questions

Matts4313

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Max Tow
1. I am removing the 7" head unit and replacing with Insane Audio. My question is will the factory head unit be locked to my vehicle making it impossible to sell? Is there something I need to do to unlock it? Will it work in a JL also?

2. From my experience and from reading others, the kick/knee panel speakers are completely useless. Has anyone attempted to fit a small shallow mount sub or another base specific speaker? Maybe a 6.5 or 8" with wiring to an amp?
Sponsored

Last edited:

BigRed97

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
No it is not locked to your truck

Just upgrade to 6.5s for the knee and sound bar. Plenty of threads with info on both

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
On the knee panel speakers, do a search on install. There is a link in one of the threads that takes you to the JL side. You do NOT have to disassemble the entire dash like most videos show.

BigRed97

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Sorry, I misunderstood the question. I thought you were asking if the IA unit would be locked. It will not but YES the stock radio is Vin coded

There are places to send them to get them unlocked or buy the codes from, or if you have a friendly dealer they can get you the unlock code

Sponsored

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT
Ive read that there is a code you need to pull before removing and that the unit might or might not work in a Wrangler. Any idea on that?

I appreciate it.
The code can't be created until you know the VIN of the new vehicle. I bought a used 5" from a stereo shop and they had a contact at a dealer that generated the activation code using my VIN. I don't know how a regular person gets it done.

BigRed97

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
The code can't be created until you know the VIN of the new vehicle. I bought a used 5" from a stereo shop and they had a contact at a dealer that generated the activation code using my VIN. I don't know how a regular person gets it done.
Yes I forgot that part, I believe you actually need both vins. The original and the new one. (The stereo shop probably had the one that it came out of)

We're all regular people aren't we 🤣

There's website to purchase codes from, or if you have a good dealer they will do it, sometimes for a fee...(or maybe bribe a tech with a case of beer )
Sponsored