Couple questions on the 6.4 HEMI SWAP

shrinkhead

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
Couple questions on the 6.4 Hemi SWAP for my Rubicon Gladiator

- will all stock features such as start stop, crawl control etc. be retained?

- real world gas mileage only interesting as the the tank is so small. Also 91?

- added weight on the front. Some concern that with the 6.4 and steel bumper plus winch the truck will be too nose heavy when going down steep stuff and any tweaks to front suspension needed? I have the MOPAR 2-inch lift right now.

- install time between drop off and pickup. I understand the ECU gets shipped out so we looking at a week or two?

- does not work with the MOPAR or other snorkels correct?

- can you still go to your dealer for oil change and service or need a speciality shop?

- what are the downsides besides cost, loss in range (MPG), and not being able to run on 87?

Thanks for the responses :). Also interested to hear some real world accounts from those who have done it. I know it will be fun when you floor it but there's more to DD than flooring (as sad as that is).

Advertisement

Deadeye

First Name
JC
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
I reached out to a shop a while back. They said everything worked except that auto stop/start. All the infotainment screens etc.

malaise, it’s a significant enough change that your warranty is pretty much voided. I’m going to wait until my warranty is up

kyleking777

First Name
Kyle
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKRU
Couple questions on the 6.4 Hemi SWAP for my Rubicon Gladiator

- will all stock features such as start stop, crawl control etc. be retained?

Everything works as from the factory, except for the start stop feature

- real world gas mileage only interesting as the the tank is so small. Also 91?

I drive it like I stole it, mixed highway snd city. I have 40” tires, 4.88 gearing, Expect to get between 11 and 14 with that set up.

- added weight on the front. Some concern that with the 6.4 and steel bumper plus winch the truck will be too nose heavy when going down steep stuff and any tweaks to front suspension needed? I have the MOPAR 2-inch lift right now.

I had a 4” Evo lift prior to swap, as well as steel front bumper and winch. There was a bit too much rake in the front for me, even with that set up. Swapped in the 6.4L and added a 1.5” spacer lift on top of the coils in the front, and now it sits exactly how I like, perfectly straight

- install time between drop off and pickup. I understand the ECU gets shipped out so we looking at a week or two?

expect it to take 7-10 business days

- does not work with the MOPAR or other snorkels correct?

no, that will not work unless you modify it yourself, but not worth it

- can you still go to your dealer for oil change and service or need a speciality shop?

you could if you really wanted to, just do not let them touch your computer. No flashes, ever. They probably won’t touch your jeep after that though. It takes 7Qaurts of of oil now. Easiest just to handle your oil changes yourself from now on. If that’s not something you can/want to do. Then just make sure they know all the details before you go

- what are the downsides besides cost, loss in range (MPG), and not being able to run on 87?

I get about 300 miles to tank on long highway drives. Yes it requires 91 or higher. Absolutely no down sides. It’s the best thing I’ve ever driven

Thanks for the responses :). Also interested to hear some real world accounts from those who have done it. I know it will be fun when you floor it but there's more to DD than flooring (as sad as that is).
I DD it, and I love every second of it. It’s how it should have been from the factory. You won’t regret it. You’ll miss your 40,000$ to do it, sure. But if you can afford it, do it.

OP
shrinkhead

shrinkhead

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
I DD it, and I love every second of it. It’s how it should have been from the factory. You won’t regret it. You’ll miss your 40,000$ to do it, sure. But if you can afford it, do it.
Appreciate this very much!!!! It is definitely on my short list. I am in MA and need to figure out logistics with likely rubitrux who are in NC as well. It's not that there is anything wrong with the 3.6L it's just not exciting at all.

MRW

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2012 JK8, 2015 JKUR, 1986 CJ7...........
My AMW swap is dead reliable, has been serviced at the dealer, and does everything you should expect it to. If you are in Mass you could send it to AMW in Michigan and have it done there. I do not know if they have any certified installers near you. They can add a lift or anything else you want while it is there. you can give them a call and ask if they have any other installers near you. They do have one in Maryland which may be the closest one for you. It is best to go with someone who has done a few. Experienced installers can do it in 3 days or a little less. I am not sure what m fuel mileage is. I do know I go about 200 miles before I fill up but that is usually just about at 1/4 tank. I do not do a lot of highway driving. I have about 11,100 miles on my JT, 9,000 of that on the swap.

Advertisement

Advertisement