Sponsored

Crawling with M/T and 5.13s

• Thread starter Deleted member 30519
  • Start date
  • Watchers 1

Deleted member 30519

I got 5.13 gears installed last week and so far it's been a blast. Sometimes when I pull into work I have to circle the parking lot a couple of times to get a spot and I noticed just now if I leave it in second gear and take my foot completely off the clutch with no gas it literally crawls around the whole parking lot at 5 mph. If anyone has the manual transmission and always gets that jumpy hesitation in first or second gear in parking lots this is your answer! Even the reverse gear is a lot shorter which makes it easier to back up into places.
Sponsored

ColoFreeJeeper

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys, 2005 Wrangler Sport
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, it’s been my experience too that deeper gearing makes MT driving easier and more fun. However, it comes at a cost of highway cruising RPM and overall driveshaft speeds. The Rzeppa joints on the driveshafts may have less vibrations than u-joint shafts but are inherently weaker. Just keep a watch out long term.

be77solo

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Willys Sport 6-MT, '19 Cadillac XT4
What size tires you running? 4.88's are on my "list", but I don't plan to go bigger than 33-35's.

The 3.73's are just too tall, even on stock Willys 32's.

Thanks for the feedback!

OP
OP

Deleted member 30519

What size tires you running? 4.88's are on my "list", but I don't plan to go bigger than 33-35's.

The 3.73's are just too tall, even on stock Willys 32's.

Thanks for the feedback!
No problem. I'm running 38" pantagonias.

be77solo

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Willys Sport 6-MT, '19 Cadillac XT4
No problem. I'm running 38" pantagonias.
Wow, that must have a been a HUGE improvement then ha, assuming you had 4.10's before? I can't see my 3.73's being drivable with 38's.

Enjoy!!!

Sponsored

OP
OP

Deleted member 39643

Can you get up to 6k in 3rd now without breaking all speed limits? How is 4th?

OP
OP

Deleted member 30519

Can you get up to 6k in 3rd now without breaking all speed limits? How is 4th?
I haven't driven it hard since I'm still a little under the 500 mile break in period. I'm dropping it off Friday to get the rear diff fluid changed.
Sponsored