Curt Brake Harness C51459

Combolc

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator, Toyota 4runner
Update below see pictures with diode required.

All - I know there has been a ton of back and forth with this harness. I actually used it a few times with my redarc and didnt have any issues. You will get an error if you press the controller override when a trailer is not connected which will prob create issues.

It prob not the right harness to use although it plugs in.

I contacted both Curt and etrailer asking if the harness was supported for the JT and here are the responses.

etrailer:

"Sorry for the confusion.
Curt originally said this wiring harness would work with the JL and the Gladiator but have since determined that it will not. We have sent in the update to our site to have the compatibility taken down but that was about 2 days ago when we discovered this to be the case.

Again, sorry for the confusion."

CURT:

Hi Brandon,

I'm showing that number to be for the Cherokee. But I just read this in a forum online that this works. As for future issues, cannot say because we don't have our engineer test work done yet. Hope that this continues to work for you.

Thanks,

Jason

seems like a bad idea to use this harness, JL forums seem to say it is missing a diode to prevent back talk

Update: Redarc figured it out for me since they are awesome. It's appears that the lack of a diode is in fact the issue. Using the Curt harness with a diode inline to prevent back talk to the PCM solves the issue. Once I get the diode and wire things up I'll post
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Combolc

Combolc

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
fyi to all who have used this harness. I just receive another call from etrailer stating Curt said not the use this harness and they are refunding me.

OP
OP
Combolc

Combolc

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did they provide you with an alternative?

No at this point there is no alternative other than Curt bluetooth model or Prodigy RF model.

I have a Redarc controller and I have been in direct contact with them on the issue. Redarc stated they will be releasing their own harness soon. They were actually recommending the Curt harness to me as well at first until Curt switched it up. Redarc customer support has been incredible BTW.

At this point I hooked my Redarc up to my Toyota (who includes the harness for you at purchase in glovebox) and have been pulling my trailer with that for now until mountains trips come up.

I really don't want to spend another 2 - 300$ on a Bluetooth or prodigy until Jeep realeases the controller and/or Redarc releases their harness.

RickyR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR Black , 2004 LJ D60's 39.5 IRoKs AMC 401 V-8
Bringing this back up. I just saw this thread, and have already mounted my Curt Spectrum, along with this wire mentioned above.
Any idea where the diode goes, and which one to use? If it's that simple, I can put in a diode.
I haven't pulled anything yet, but my controller seems to work fine, at least the blue lights come on when I hit the brakes. Guess the feedback comes into play when you are towing?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Combolc

Combolc

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bringing this back up. I just saw this thread, and have already mounted my Curt Spectrum, along with this wire mentioned above.
Any idea where the diode goes, and which one to use? If it's that simple, I can put in a diode.
I haven't pulled anything yet, but my controller seems to work fine, at least the blue lights come on when I hit the brakes. Guess the feedback comes into play when you are towing?

Yes everything will work fine until you have to press the manual overide. Especially if you press it without a trailer connected by accident. It will display someerror on dash, can't remember exactly what is says.

Yes you can drop a diode in, I am waiting for a diode from Redarc. They are sending me one they want to use with my controller. Once I will receive, I post up exactly how I wire everything. I am only assuming but I think it is the red wire but have to wait until I get my diode and I talk to Redarc.

RickyR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes everything will work fine until you have to press the manual overide. Especially if you press it without a trailer connected by accident. It will display someerror on dash, can't remember exactly what is says.

Yes you can drop a diode in, I am waiting for a diode from Redarc. They are sending me one they want to use with my controller. Once I will receive, I post up exactly how I wire everything. I am only assuming but I think it is the red wire but have to wait until I get my diode and I talk to Redarc.
I did push the button, will my jeep explode?
Seriously, I did push it, but the jeep was not running.. Did I do any damage?
Thanks

OP
OP
Combolc

Combolc

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did push the button, will my jeep explode?
Seriously, I did push it, but the jeep was not running.. Did I do any damage?
Thanks
Well that's it your Jeep is bricked now total trash. No, nothing will happen if no power to the switch Jeep was off. If it was running you would see all the issues on the dash. Turning it off and back on removes the error in some cases. The problem is more overtime wrong signals coming back to the dash.

Bacstar

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Data Analyst
Well this explains all the issues I've been having trying to get my Curt to work. I'm done towing for the winter, and already completely disconnected it from the system. Hopefully this is all figured out by spring.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Combolc

Combolc

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I po
Well this explains all the issues I've been having trying to get my Curt to work. I'm done towing for the winter, and already completely disconnected it from the system. Hopefully this is all figured out by spring.
I have diode in I will get tings wired tonight and try post up tomorrow.

OP
OP
Combolc

Combolc

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here is what it should look like with diode

IMG_20191012_091711__01.jpg
IMG_20191012_091711__01__01__01.jpg

IMG_20191012_084626.jpg

IMG_20191013_151935.jpg

OP
OP
Combolc

Combolc

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The only issue with this is the brake lights on the trailer when the override button is pushed. The brake lights will apply on the trailer when you put your foot on the brake pedal but typically when you press override trailer brakes light but they will not with this config.

So 100% works correctly except no light when override is pressed. Lights all other times and no errors on dash.

RickyR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The only issue with this is the brake lights on the trailer when the override button is pushed. The brake lights will apply on the trailer when you put your foot on the brake pedal but typically when you press override trailer brakes light but they will not with this config.

So 100% works correctly except no light when override is pressed. Lights all other times and no errors on dash.

This is how it should be with Curt harness
Will this work on the Curt Spectrum controller as well? A quick google search shows these to cost $60 in Australia, That's a chunk. Are they available on this continent? Thanks for your work on this.

EDIT: Which direction is this diode flowing?
Sponsored