First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FC Red Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
So for those that have the Curt Echo trailer brake controller I recently got an app update and in the description it stated it added support for the Curt Echo Manual Override button. I couldn't find any information about this on Curt's website but did find some decent info on a 3rd part site:

https://thetruxsuperstore.com/i-30818044-curt-51189-echo-brake-controller.html

Some Pics stolen from them:

M200382401.jpg

M200382411.jpg

Looking at another 3rd party site (CARID) it looks like it will retail for about $45 bucks:

https://www.carid.com/curt/echo-brake-controller-manual-override-button-mpn-51189.html

I will start off by staying I think this is an awesome addition. It gives the main think missing from it by having a manual physical button you can press to activate your trailer brakes. With that said, I see things like this and just think how much better it could/should have been.

For starters, most vehicle interiors are grey or black, offer this thing in at least a grey color so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb on my dash. It's also has no lights in it, so at night, depending on where you stick it, you may not be able to readily see it. I feel like they should have just made this plug into a vehicles 12v plug. It could easily have integrated lights that way and most 12v cigarette outlets are in nicely available locations on the dash. In addition, add a couple of USB plugs on it so people wouldn't lose that as an option if a charger was previously using that spot. Seems like they could have done this easily for the $45 bucks considering i can pick up a dual USB 12v charger for a couple of bucks.
Sponsored

4S50

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Sportsman of Leisure
Thanks for posting about that; this is the first that I have seen of it. I am using the Curt Echo frequently and really like it. I originally bought it to fill in until the Mopar controller became available but having towed my trailer about 10k+ miles with it I can find no reason to replace it. In my opinion, a mounted unit could do no better, but having to keep the phone where it was accessible to keep the button handy was a PITA.

EasyWind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Per a chat I had this morning with someone at Carid, they have 32 of these in stock and ready to ship. Well, 31 now. . .

OP
OP
MrFahrenheit

MrFahrenheit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FC Red Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Per a chat I had this morning with someone at Carid, they have 32 of these in stock and ready to ship. Well, 31 now. . .
Would love to see some pics of it (mounted in the truck) and your impressions when you get it.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
14 as of 7:38 PST 1/20/21.

Sponsored

EasyWind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Would love to see some pics of it (mounted in the truck) and your impressions when you get it.
I haven’t pulled my trailer with it installed yet, but according to the Echo app it’s connected and triggering the brakes as expected when I push the button.

As the OP pointed out, whoever gave the go ahead to make this in white should re-evaluate their life choices. I put it on the freedom panel (white) right above the garage door opener. It blends in there and since I have a full roof rack, I don’t have plans of taking the top off until I come off the road overlanding for the next couple of years.

My two cents. I’ll update this if there’s any issues next time I take the trailer out. Feel free to ask any questions. So far, I’m happy.

25AF1BF4-8D42-4E7D-B035-DFFA703688FD.jpeg

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
No picture sorry, it below and to the right of the ignition button. Easy setup, works as expected. Made setting the gain and sensitivity in the app a doddle for one person.

Made my wife very happy, she's looking forward to driving the truck on trips, too.

Temp

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition, Leaf, Prius
Occupation
Engineer
Hello,
I've been investigating the Echo and also found the idea of needing the phone to be open to the Curt app to access manual braking a potential safety issue.
I was really glad to read your feedback on the manual physical button. Thanks for sharing!
I don't have a Gladiator, but joined to post this link - https://flic.io/shop
Jeep Gladiator Curt Echo Manual Override Button Black Button for Curt Echo

I wanted to repay the sharing of information with the, I believe, very real likelihood that this black button will do the same thing (though you'll need to make your own sticker for the middle) plus it costs $30 instead of $45.

I noticed one line in the description, "Compatible w/Echo And Programmable For Other Flic Applications". I figure if the Curt branded button works with Flic apps, the inverse should also be true (Flic buttons should be compatible w/ Echo).

Best of luck!

Ben

Rollcast

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Somebody mount it on the floor like an old school headlight switch! :)
Sponsored