Sponsored

Damn...Cited for no doors and wide tires.

jeepdriva

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKR
Well I just got pulled
Over and a warning in Ocean City Maryland for no doors and given an inspection tickets for my method wheels Sticking out too far from my stock fender flares. Any suggestions as to what my options are to get through the fender issue. Don’t have another set of wheels. Who would have thought a beach would have cared. It was a state trooper.
Sponsored

Last edited:

gmc1000_1965

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Yeah, look up your states laws. Did you have side mirrors attached with doors off? They can't cite you for doors off but the right amount of mirrors. Also check for tires. Fight fight

DropW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Kia Sephia , 2007 Vulcan 900
https://casetext.com/statute/code-o...ipment-of-vehicles/subtitle-4-other-equipment

Section 22-403 talks about mirrors ... and according to that section at least... it looks like side mirrors are not needed on a car/truck as long as it has an Unobstructed rear view mirror .... if it is obstructed or missing, then it will need side mirrors, But then part B might be where he got you , "(b) Every motor vehicle registered in this State shall be equipped with an outside mirror on the driver's side located to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of the vehicle and along the driver's side of the vehicle. This subsection does not apply to motorcycles, which are governed by subsection (c) of this section. ".... motorcycles have to have two mirrors one on each side handle bar . Section 22-405 has information about tires in general .... but I have yet to find anything thing about fenders ... Does the ticket have any code number like 22-403 violation written on it ?

Sponsored

DropW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Kia Sephia , 2007 Vulcan 900
Section 22-413 talks about protectors or flaps behind rear wheels of vehicle ...
Also just found this Maryland code inspection site .. this link talks about fenders .. http://mdrules.elaws.us/comar/11.14.02.08

So, what I could find from digging around on the web, is most likely its a mirror issue and not the doors in particular . Have yet to see anything about factory removable doors being a violation . And, most likely fender coverage is lacking on your tires .

Last edited:

capercrew02

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep WJ, BMW i3, Red JTR.
That sucks! I’d try and clarify if you need wider fenders, or if properly sized mud flaps would suffice. If so, I’d look at the rokbloks flaps. Easy install, look nice, and easy to remove.

Gobi Wan K

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Gladiator
Occupation
Roller Coaster Tester
I used to be an officer in Maryland many moons ago. In fact I had to call out an inspection station that wouldn't pass my CJ because it didn't have doors (I didn't have any). Of course they could have changed the laws since then. There are several things that apply to tires and fenders and it gets confusing but if I remember right technically the fenders need to cover the tires. I remember in the late 90s early 2000s when Ford released the Super Duty the 4x4 version violated the rules in Maryland because the bottom of the fenders were too high compared to the tires. Don't know if they ever adjusted to accommodate that but I know we never enforced that and most officers really had no idea. I was involved in CMV inspections so we got more info and training than the average guys/gals.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jeepdriva

jeepdriva

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKR
I did have mirrors on it, the Carolina metal masters mirrors. He clearly said, must have a protective Door of some sort, even the half bar door world work he said. In regards to the wheels his language was, “ is this the original wheels that came with the Jeep and then said tires can’t stick out past the fender. I’ll check if my ticket has a code. Does anyone know if there is any variance or do they have to completely cover?

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
I wonder if they can enforce those laws against out-of-state folks. It would be interfering with interstate commerce I would think. There was a case I remember reading about regarding states being able to restrict their own citizens when it came to vehicle stuff but not out of state visitors

arosen1997

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
LAV Turret Technician
I did have mirrors on it, the Carolina metal masters mirrors. He clearly said, must have a protective Door of some sort, even the half bar door world work he said. In regards to the wheels his language was, “ is this the original wheels that came with the Jeep and then said tires can’t stick out past the fender. I’ll check if my ticket has a code. Does anyone know if there is any variance or do they have to completely cover?
The door thing is an ocean city specific ordnance requiring doors.
For fenders they must completely cover the wheel and tire.
You must have a driver's side and rear view mirror.
I wonder if they can enforce those laws against out-of-state folks. It would be interfering with interstate commerce I would think. There was a case I remember reading about regarding states being able to restrict their own citizens when it came to vehicle stuff but not out of state visitors
They cannot enforce those laws on out of state vehicles as that is protected by the interstate commerce act.
Same reason I can drive through Maryland with my big scary assault weapons as they call them without fear of getting arrested.
Sponsored