DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
To All,
I have decided to now start offering pre-built tunes, ready to flash. A little background: I did not start tuning my Gladiator with the intention of having a business or making money, I have a day job, and a beautiful family, they come first. The Gladiator is my daily driver and hot rodding is my hobby, for now I am trying to keep it that way. I started offering my tune free of charge on this forum as a way to contribute to the Jeep community, to have fun and conversation with others. It has done just that, and it really has been great, getting to know everyone, and learning about some killer rides.

For all those wondering how or why I jumped in and made a tune. I have worked in the automotive and construction industry as an embedded controls designer for 20+ years. When I bought my Gladiator, I noticed it had, what I would call, less than finished calibrations spots, but nothing that worried me to much or was much worse than many other OEM cars I have driven. When Magnuson started offering their supercharger for the Gladiator, I saw an opportunity to get the power level of my Gladiator closer to what I had in my Ram without too much investment, and I have always had a good experience with Magnuson kits, so I went for it. I jumped on the band wagon pretty early and did not realize that the history of Jeeps and superchargers with the 3.6L has been a rocky road. I told my wife I would bolt the kit on and leave it alone. Well after a couple months, I no longer could ignore some of the strange things my Jeep was doing with the supercharger installed, and dove in to make some drivability tweaks. The Magnuson and Jeep calibration is useable and fine, if that is what people prefer, but they were not the performance level I prefer in my rides. The rest is history documented on the forum, I ended up way down the rabbit hole, with data acquisition, dyno sessions, and a crazy amount of road datalogging, from myself and others I worked with on the forum (much appreciated by the way).

With all this said, what I did not anticipate, is the number of people that wanted help with their Jeeps tuning, supercharger or not. Over the past 20 months the volume of phone calls an emails has rapidly grown. I posted tunes and help guides on the website to help, and I believe it did a bit, but also an unintended consequence is, it has kind of created a beacon and pulled in a bunch more curious jeepers. So the support side of this has taken on a life of its own.

I never want to short change someone with this. I want everyone to have fun like I am, so I do my best to answer all question, and provide assistance the best I can. Everyone has been very cool.
In a bid to help simplify things for the users of my tunes and myself, I have decided to start offering ready to flash tunes. I am going to be charging a bit for the ready to flash tunes. The non-pulley tunes for copy currently on my older posts will still be available for copy on the forum, and will still be free, but there will be limited technical support. Future revisions will go into the ready to flash tunes I am requiring a product support payment for.

My thoughts: I am charging for the ready to flash support for a couple reasons. I feel the need to recoup a bit of my time as it has become significant time sink. I have also invested a bit into the tools to get a ready to flash file. Last but not least I am doing my best, to fairly prioritize those who need assistance.

I hope everyone understands, and I look forward seeing more high performance Jeeps!
Sponsored

OP
OP

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CURRENT OFFERINGS

Magnuson Supercharger Small Pulley Supercharger Tune (Currently Automatic Only): $300
Magnuson Supercharger Stock Pulley Tune: $250
Naturally aspirated Tune: $200

Tunes Under Development (Need Testers)
Magnuson Supercharger Manual Small Pulley Tune

Send Request to: [email protected]

COPY and PASTE into EMAIL
Customer NAME:
Name of Jeep (Optional but appreciated):
Year of Jeep: 20XX
Model of Jeep: Wrangler/Gladiator
Trim Level: Sport/Overland/Mojave/Rubicon
Transmission: Automatic/Manual
Tire Diameter: Stock, 33, 35, 37, 40
Final Drive Ratio: 3.73, 4:10, 4:88, 5:13, etc

Instruction for acquiring support will be replied

IMPORTANT NOTE: Please read your engine and transmission tune from your ECM before sending it in to be unlocked!!!!

Attachments

Last edited:

Josh00333

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Freedom
Build Thread
Link
Awesome Dave! I’ll see how I like mine one done and may hit you up.

OP
OP

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Curious about the NA tune. Is it for flex fuel? 93? Either way, what kind of gains would be expected?
My current NA tune is not for flex fuel.

I make tunes to run on 87-93 octane. I retain and amplify the factory safeties to monitor ignition and valve timing and adjust the power delivery to the best available with the fuel that is being used. 93 will give you much better performance, but if you need to run 87 no worries, fill it up and let it rip tater chip.

I don't have power numbers for the NA tune, but the best I can give you at the moment, it will allow big tire rigs to once again utilize their higher gears. It will also significantly clean up engine rattle and avenger lights

Sponsored

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys, 2020 Gladiator
Dave this is fantastic.

I haven't gotten a Maggi yet but when I do I was going to you for the tune. I believe your price posted is a steal by itself.

Until I do...how do people feel about the stock NA tune? I'm interested in something like that for the time being for sure. I'm only slightly savvy when it comes to cars, and know the best bet for MPGs is gearing. Will this tune help in that at all? And would you roughly guess the HP increase is 20ish?

OP
OP

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dave this is fantastic.

I haven't gotten a Maggi yet but when I do I was going to you for the tune. I believe your price posted is a steal by itself.

Until I do...how do people feel about the stock NA tune? I'm interested in something like that for the time being for sure. I'm only slightly savvy when it comes to cars, and know the best bet for MPGs is gearing. Will this tune help in that at all? And would you roughly guess the HP increase is 20ish?
I am not sure if there is a HP gain so to speak. What I do is remap your torque delivery so your Jeep is more tolerant to NVratio changes, similar to a big block. The trans looks for available torque and with the current cam settings the VE and torque are cut short for linear torque gain. If we map aggression in the trans it is pretty obvious when someone is pulling larger tires and stock gear sets. As such you can map a shift schedule for that AS THERE ARE 96 AVAILABLE AND 5 USED. Once you do that you can pair those new shift points, with new valve timing to shift torque downward. So now as you change wheels and drive modes we have shift mapping and valve timing that delivers torque so the jeep never feels like it looses power.

Along with this I optimize timing and fueling so it all feels smoother and runs more adequate without the controls having to catch timing and do timing control.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
If I had the money I know where it would be going.
Not looking for HP gains, just making it more usable.
Not looking for big mpg gains, what it does is ok but maybe the transmission mapping could make it a tad more like it used to be.
I want to tow, and that it does pretty well but I want it to not hunt so bad, and have the power to stay in 8th and not drop back to 6th or 5th with a bit of wind or a small hill on the highway when NOT towing.
When it changed gears multiple times in a mile it's pretty sad. Towing it's got guts so I know the engine has it, just when not towing it's not great.

Sponsored

OP
OP

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You are a brave man.
I would of agreed with you before all this took off. But it is literally at the point where people are offering to start something for me. Or all my friends and the guys I have helped(I also consider friends) have collectively said it is about time. Even my wife and my family are relieved I am charging for my time.

I see it like this if it takes off I can justify my time, if this buries it. I get some time back. Ether way I will take the precautions needed.

Chance575

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C
Occupation
D
NA E85 tune will not get you any more power unless you run high compression. I’ve been down this road with my LS7 in my Z06.

Last edited:

DC3

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Website
dilabs.cc
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT GDE Ecodiesel, 22 Polestar 2
Occupation
engineer
Bravo! It is great to see you formalizing your offering @DAVECS1. You are providing a great value and service to our community!!! These tunes are a no-brainer addition! I LOVE my small pulley tune!!!!

@DAVECS1 How about tunes for other forced induction systems like Hamburgers or Edelbrock, or Ripp... Will you offer tunes for the folks who are running these kits?

OP
OP

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bravo! It is great to see you formalizing your offering @DAVECS1. You are providing a great value and service to our community!!! These tunes are a no-brainer addition! I LOVE my small pulley tune!!!!

@DAVECS1 How about tunes for other forced induction systems like Hamburgers or Edelbrock, or Ripp... Will you offer tunes for the folks who are running these kits?
I am more than willing to offer tunes for these products. I need to do development first though. I have thousands of hours into what I have now. I want a decent amount of data on these so I can make a tune that I feel is as safe as these.

Last edited:
Reactions: DC3

just_another_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I'm glad someone is putting in the effort to offer this service. The HP Tuners equipment + credits required to load the tune is over $1,000 though, which means it doesn't make much sense for us plebs with stock motors.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.