Not open for further replies.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
So I don't know if you all are having the same good time at the gas pump I am having, but premium around here is about $5.30 a gallon. I know I have tuned for 87, and I have put all the safety I know of in to the tune, but for me it was hard to put in fuel I knew was not going to make it run its best, and was basically going to test all the corner cases as my truck get daily drove by the whole family.

Well with 89 octane at 4.75 dollars I am on my third tank of that and I am happy to report, things are running unexpectedly smooth! During the first tank I did have a couple of moments cruising at 75 mph at 2000 RPM I could feel it playing with timing. My guess is is it was switching to the lower octane, variable valve timing and base timing maps. Once it stabalized in these maps, never felt it again, and actually I preferred the smoothness of the lower timing and conservative valve timing. I am sure at full throttle it probably will not be as fun, but hey have you seen gas lately lol.

We took a 4 hour trip to a state volleyball match last night with the whole family in the Jeep. I was able to cruise 75mph in 8th gear most of the way. Knocking down about 15 to 15 mpg.

On the way home we had wind advisories, always a good time in a lifted jeep. I used the paddle shifters to lock in 8th. It did a decent job of holding speed. I could use some work on my transition fueling maps for cruise, but nothing drastic the family felt, as they all nodded off to sleep. It never knocked or bucked, it would just slow down in speed if the wind and hills were too much and pick speed back up when it could, or if I paddled shift to 7th.

So this is a really long post, to basically say I am having good results running 89 octane on my small pulley tune Magnuson, and I will continue to test for the sake of my wallet and all you guys out there that want to try and get some relief at the pump.

I have not gone crazy enough to try 87 yet, but that may be coming. I have done low octane testing a couple tanks at a time. The big difference here is I am running it consistently and using the jeep as you would everyday with no test equipment hooked up, so far so good, and possibly better.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.