JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Jeep Gladiator DE surf fishing permits Screenshot_20201222-133705

Just wanted to have a quick PSA that the Surf-fishing permits for Deleware state parks for 2021 are now available!

With the permit, you'll get access to DE state park beaches for the purpose of surf fishing. You are supposed to be "actively engaged" in fishing, so it's not for jumping dunes or doing donuts in the sand, but still gets you access to drive on the beaches for a fun activity. Oh and you get a front license plate that has a picture of a Jeep on the beech as your permit. There is limited availability and costs twice as much out of state, but worth it to me!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw0OUrDrO3B-qMdtiwaKttw7
Sponsored

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired
I don't fish...I only drown bait :rock: :rock: :rock: :CWL::CWL::CWL:

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Food for though, I always buy my permits in the 2 year interval. The cost is certainly higher but they have raised the prices almost annually. So I see it as a way to save a few bucks.

OP
OP
JTBurns

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Food for though, I always buy my permits in the 2 year interval. The cost is certainly higher but they have raised the prices almost annually. So I see it as a way to save a few bucks.
Great point. I only bought a one year this time because I'm about 2.5 hours away and want to make sure I use it enough to rationalize the cost. I think 6 visits between Spring and Fall would get me my money's worth. Maybe I'll see you out there!

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Great point. I only bought a one year this time because I'm about 2.5 hours away and want to make sure I use it enough to rationalize the cost. I think 6 visits between Spring and Fall would get me my money's worth. Maybe I'll see you out there!
Fair!

If you've never been I have a couple suggestions..

Weekends are BUSY...If you get there early you can guarantee a spot. Otherwise ive drove on only to find no openings where I usually go.

If you're able to go on a week day, its always wide open territory.

The rangers are typically great folks, they may just stop to chat. Dont be suspicious of them...I cant recount one story of they citing someone who didnt ask for it. Despite the rules saying no drinking and all that..they essentially dont care as long as your not trashing the place.

The fishing is best in the spring and fall. But make sure you have long neck plyers incase you get a shark and/or skate.

There are air stations to refill once you come off the beach

There are no bathroom ON the beach...unless you bring one (camping shower tent)

Have fun! Driving on has been a huge part of my family's life for years now, its wonderful.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JTBurns

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Fair!

If you've never been I have a couple suggestions..

Weekends are BUSY...If you get there early you can guarantee a spot. Otherwise ive drove on only to find no openings where I usually go.

If you're able to go on a week day, its always wide open territory.

The rangers are typically great folks, they may just stop to chat. Dont be suspicious of them...I cant recount one story of they citing someone who didnt ask for it. Despite the rules saying no drinking and all that..they essentially dont care as long as your not trashing the place.

The fishing is best in the spring and fall. But make sure you have long neck plyers incase you get a shark and/or skate.

There are air stations to refill once you come off the beach

There are no bathroom ON the beach...unless you bring one (camping shower tent)

Have fun! Driving on has been a huge part of my family's life for years now, its wonderful.
Awesome, thanks so much for the tips!

Any suggestions on mods to haul the fishing poles? Otherwise I was just gonna tie them down in the bed with the end hanging behind.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome, thanks so much for the tips!

Any suggestions on mods to haul the fishing poles? Otherwise I was just gonna tie them down in the bed with the end hanging behind.
That will work wonderfully for a bit. I ended up making my own pole holder that goes in my trailer hitch years ago for my JK, so i still just use that.

not worth spending tons of money, especially if you end up hating it!

some other odds and ends I thought of.

absolutely air down...dont be that guy who gets dug down in the sand because you wanted to just go for it. I air down to 18-20 personally.

definitely have a piece of 2x4 you can use as a traction board, and a shovel, incase you do get stuck. It doent really happen but always good to be prepared.

Mike1087

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
@Gren71 I've never been to the designated areas for driving in DE before can you give a little more insight....I only see pics from google image and it looks like a parking lot...during the week do you feel its still a parking lot and you are on top of each other? Ive been going to Assateague OSV for 10 years and its been getting soo packed Im looking into other driving options!

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
I've been on Delaware beachs since 1978, yes it is nuts and can be a parking lot weekends and holidays, during the week much better. Thing is you have to be fishing, and when it is packed is during the summer when fishing is slow, beaches are empty, October to May, and fishing is much better. There are many times I can't make out the model of trucks parked on both sides of me, or even think I am the only guy out there. I do go often during summer with family, always catch fish, but hate the crowds. I also think the Rangers are checking permits and if you are activly fishing more then in past in reponse to the crowds and also surf permits were being stolen off trucks due to running out cause of the new limits being set. Get your surf permit early if you want to go.
Everywhere is getting more crowded.
If your on the beach there and you see a Blue Mojave with a black cap on back , and surf rack on front, stop by and say hi!......Jack

Mike1087

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I've been on Delaware beachs since 1978, yes it is nuts and can be a parking lot weekends and holidays, during the week much better. Thing is you have to be fishing, and when it is packed is during the summer when fishing is slow, beaches are empty, October to May, and fishing is much better. There are many times I can't make out the model of trucks parked on both sides of me, or even think I am the only guy out there. I do go often during summer with family, always catch fish, but hate the crowds. I also think the Rangers are checking permits and if you are activly fishing more then in past in reponse to the crowds and also surf permits were being stolen off trucks due to running out cause of the new limits being set. Get your surf permit early if you want to go.
Everywhere is getting more crowded.
If your on the beach there and you see a Blue Mojave with a black cap on back , and surf rack on front, stop by and say hi!......Jack
Thanks for the info Jack. We typically do day trips during the weekdays in the summer (non holidays). I just like a little space between me and the next car to have a nice relaxing day. Im all for picking up the sport of fishing, been something ive wanted to do for a little while now.

Is there a map or guide of the beaches that allow driving?

I think ill give it a try and see what we think. ill be in my blue sport (hopefully lifted by then). if i see you ill stop by!

Sponsored

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
@Gren71 I've never been to the designated areas for driving in DE before can you give a little more insight....I only see pics from google image and it looks like a parking lot...during the week do you feel its still a parking lot and you are on top of each other? Ive been going to Assateague OSV for 10 years and its been getting soo packed Im looking into other driving options!
http://www.dnrec.delaware.gov/News/PublishingImages/Cape-Henlopen-Bike-Loop-partial-closure.jpg

i pretty much always go to hearing point on the east side of cape henlopen.

It is WAY better on the week days. Wide open the majority of the time. And if there are others out there, theyre likely fishing as well and are always out to help.

59D6E000-6C80-4822-BFBA-0AF8E1175C04.jpeg

Mike1087

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Yes, go to Herring point drive on , go left towrds the jetties, ususally good structure there, I fish the DMS tournament there. Coming from southern end of state, after crossing the Indian River inlet bridge, cross at Faithful Steward crossing, get on beach head north until you are behind the Life Guard Museum, usually some good holes there.

OK History lesson time, it is called the Faithful Steward after one of the two wrecked treasure wrecks off the beach there, the section of beach from the inlet north was called coin beach as it was the most productive beach to find coins in the world, until beach replenishment.
If you are fishing the Delawre coast and find a US coin on the the beach, check the date if f it is earlier then 1943, toss it back it belongs to one of our boys, that were killed when the U-boats were sinking tankers right off the beach coming out of the Bay, 95% of the refined oil for the Europen front came out of Delaware bay refineries, we didn't stop the carnage until we put pressure on the Germans to protect their country and they pulled the U-boats back. They sank a bunch of ships, I still find coins once in awhile.
Ok lesson over, don't get me going on Fort Miles, Hint Herring point is a gun emplacement, big, real big like the guns of Navarone, very impressive from a small boat off the beach!......Jack

Saharacane

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon LE
Occupation
Dog Dad

LowerSlower

First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 80th JT
Went out yesterday off of Keybox Rd. There were very few people out and did see another gladiator down the way. It was perfect, hard to believe that in another week it is going to just suck around here.
Sponsored