Dead 2021 Gladiator Ecodiesel

MTgladiator21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator ecodiesel
Occupation
yes
Woke up to go to work, and the new Jeep is dead. Has 1021 miles on it. Everything up to now was great and I love the Jeep. Finally a jeep with a diesel.
So far, I have a couple hours getting Jeep to Tow it to a nearby dealer (80 miles away). Another hour, talking to the dealer about what happened. Basically, when I came out to start the Jeep, not even a light flashed for the unlock on the doors. Completely dead battery. I wondered if I left something on, but could see anything, then I wonder if this battery was just bad?

Anyway Chrysler Central arranged a tow, and it was dropped off at dealer. Called the dealer, and they had no idea the jeep was coming to them. So I told my story again, and said I thought it was just a bad battery. They thought so too.

Anyway they needed to attach so fancy computer testing thing to the battery so they can get paid for the service they are doing. After 3 hours, the battery tests good. Then, after the Jeep boots up(jeeze, I never thought I would say that) they verify a constant 3 amp draw on the battery. The troubleshooting begins. More story to come.

Just not a real good way to start out with a pricey brand new vehicle. I have never had trouble on any other vehicle, so soon. Contrasting, I still own a Chevy Colorado diesel, 4 years old, 62K, not one problem.

Anyone else have a dead or slowly dying Ecodiesel?
Sponsored

OP
OP

MTgladiator21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
yes
Talked to the dealer again. Current draw dropped to 1.5 amps, but I asked what was normal. They said 65 milliamps is normal or .065 amps. Just for information for all out there.

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
@MTgladiator21
You undoubtedly have a battery(s) related issue and the dealer will remedy that quite easily..
Eh sounds like a vampire draw from something is still happening. Unless that draw is the smaller battery pulling charge from the bigger? Curious to hear the culprit, @MTgladiator21

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Being an Ecodiesel is irrelevant. If your dealership service department is half way competent, they should be able to narrow down where the parasitic draw is coming from.

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
How do you not place it in park?
Mine won't turn off until it is placed in park.

Gulf_coasterHTX

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Subaru Ascent, '21 Gladiator Sport S Diesel
Occupation
Petroleum Engineer
How do you not place it in park?
Mine won't turn off until it is placed in park.
For some reason I do this a lot - get to where I’m going, have my foot in the brake and push the ignition button without putting into park. Maybe a relic from driving a manual for a long time. The engine shuts down but the electronics don’t. I always catch it because the car will beep at you and notifications on the screen, wife giving me a dope slap, etc

Gladiator_92

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport EcoDiesel
Occupation
Project Management
Vehicle Showcase
For some reason I do this a lot - get to where I’m going, have my foot in the brake and push the ignition button without putting into park. Maybe a relic from driving a manual for a long time. The engine shuts down but the electronics don’t. I always catch it because the car will beep at you and notifications on the screen, wife giving me a dope slap, etc
just switched to an auto after driving manual for the last 10 years. I forget to put it in park all the time. "In gear" IS park in a manual. Too funny.

ssteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
camaro, audi Q, cj2a, ram
Seems there's a lot of issues with secondary batteries causing problems. Doubtful any diesel has been sitting for very long so it makes me think maybe the batteries were stored, shipped wrong or mishandled somehow.

If you put the main battery on a trickle charger/battery tender will it also charge the aux battery?

OP
OP

MTgladiator21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
yes
Good discussion, Hopefully today I get the news on what the issue was. BTW, it was in park when I left it over night. Jeep is just off the build trailer from factory, Had a long trip home ~600 miles, drove about two days, back and forth to work... 10min trip, then 5-10minute at lunch. So nothing unusual, and exactly what I do in my vehicles that do work. So, the mystery current draw?

They hadn't found anything glaring yet(but were distracted with New Years). They mentioned it wasn't as easy as pulling fuses to see what curcuit was causing the issue. Something about a master power center, computer, blah, blah. To me that means a computer controlled bunch of SCRs, instead of fuses.(What the hell were they thinking in engineering land?). So hopefully, they can plug in a computer that tells them what is using power, but I am guessing, they didn't think that far ahead.

Sponsored

zuke

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2015 JKU, 2006 TJ, 2021 Bronco BL
I'm not 100% positive, but I don't think the Gladiator Diesel has an Aux Battery, That's only in Vehicles with Auto Start/Stop.

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, '21 JLU 80th | Past '20 JTR, '18 JLUR
I'm not 100% positive, but I don't think the Gladiator Diesel has an Aux Battery, That's only in Vehicles with Auto Start/Stop.
The EcoDiesel has ESS.

CaptNkllm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Maybe to many 5-10 min drives and not enough time to actually charge the battery? To many amps out and not enough amps in so it depleted?
That’s my guess. Hope you get it sorted out.

OP
OP

MTgladiator21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
yes
They think is a dead short in the Aux, stop/start battery. It was hiding itself until they started tapping around the aux battery and it jumped up to 5 amps.

No QC in parts these days, do that in the field with customers :)
Sponsored