Dead mouse!?!

jefflaur1

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Oberland
damn! Brand new Gladiator..under 650 miles and apparently there is a dead rodent “somewhere” in my brand new rig...Wife won’t ride in it (not always a bad thing) but it does stink..gets worse when I fire up the AC or vent. Where best to look? I may just got to the dealer and have them check it out..but I would like to know if you have any known “hiding places” for dead mice etc.
Sponsored

BruteForce

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
utahbruteforce.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2009 Ram 3500 CTD, 2001 Toyota 4Runner
Occupation
SVP/CISO
Those dash vents are unreal large. I had a SUPER HUGE Mormon cricket fall in there.. after a few weeks, it got blown out the front vent with AC on HIGH.

Check under the rear seats to rule that area out.

Sponsored

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Pull the cabin filter, see if it smells worse when you do.

Behind glove box.

If you find one there, pull the engine air filter and have a look around.

Little bastards get everywhere and build nests.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Pull the cabin filter, see if it smells worse when you do.

Behind glove box.

If you find one there, pull the engine air filter and have a look around.

Little bastards get everywhere and build nests.
I really need to clean my glasses - I could SWEAR when I read this it said -
>>Pull the cabin filter, see if it smells worse than you do.<<

Wow, one word, actually only 2 letters, really changes things.........

I would make them warranty that. Biggest concern is if you get mouse crap in your vents. I'd want that cleaned out. Hantavirus is no joke.
Joking, right?
No way in hell you'll get warranty out of a critter getting in.
There's no way in the world to know HOW or WHEN it got in there. PROVE it's a defect - PROVE it got in there because of a design flaw.
I've seen evidence of mice in vehicles you'd swear there was no way in. They can squeeze down to a size that's unreal. I've seen where they have gotten into a space by squeezing under weatherstrip and they only needed a quarter inch to do it. They are limited only by the size of their skull.

If there's a mouse, there's mouse crap and pee - period. I've had them in campers, a brand new Grand Cherokee, you name it. They pee and crap as they walk.

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
Partially joking. What's the worst they say? No? Then you are right back to where you are.
Call Jeep and say, " You just bought it and you are getting a funny smell."
You are correct. Mice are gross. The truck has 600 miles on it. Coulda gotten in anywhere is right. I'm just thinking if it got in the hvac you are pulling all kinds of shit and replacing it.

*I'll add to this. From a customer service standpoint is the proper thing to do. Guy gets a brand new Jeep. Under 700 miles this stupid thing happens. Service manager does him a solid and investigates the smell. Hooks the guy up. That guy is now a customer for life. Small investment upfront pays for years.

I really need to clean my glasses - I could SWEAR when I read this it said -
>>Pull the cabin filter, see if it smells worse than you do.<<

Wow, one word, actually only 2 letters, really changes things.........

Joking, right?
No way in hell you'll get warranty out of a critter getting in.
There's no way in the world to know HOW or WHEN it got in there. PROVE it's a defect - PROVE it got in there because of a design flaw.
I've seen evidence of mice in vehicles you'd swear there was no way in. They can squeeze down to a size that's unreal. I've seen where they have gotten into a space by squeezing under weatherstrip and they only needed a quarter inch to do it. They are limited only by the size of their skull.

If there's a mouse, there's mouse crap and pee - period. I've had them in campers, a brand new Grand Cherokee, you name it. They pee and crap as they walk.

Sponsored

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Once you find the dead critter, invest in some mouse poison. Once they get in they will tear EVERYTHING up and your wiring harnesses are NOT covered by warranty or insurance if critters chew them up.
Goldwings ain't cheap to get wire harnesses replaced either.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Partially joking. What's the worst they say? No? Then you are right back to where you are.
Call Jeep and say, " You just bought it and you are getting a funny smell."
You are correct. Mice are gross. The truck has 600 miles on it. Coulda gotten in anywhere is right. I'm just thinking if it got in the hvac you are pulling all kinds of shit and replacing it.
Yeah, I hear ya. GROSSS - when alive and when dead - GROSS.
They pee and crap everywhere. They make nests using anything including WIRE insulation. We paid a fair amount getting our Trane heat pump repaired a few years back - mice chewed the insulation off the high voltage wires and shorted things out - but the revenge was sweet - one got FRIED trying the big capacitor in there!

Wear gloves and a mask and disinfect with concentrated stuff. Doc is right - some of the illness from mice will KILL. Ask Rick from IRT fame about 10 years ago.

Once you find the dead critter, invest in some mouse poison.
Poison is NOT fast acting - they eat it and get in and DIE up inside things. They'll still chew before they die. Ask how I know.......... Traps are best thing I found - and check daily.
I stopped using poison as it didn't stop the damage- all it did was ensure I had to find the dead rodent in the duct work or where-ever.
I've also seen pets hurt by the poison -lost a dog that got into it, and since the mice and rats don't die instantly, if another animal eats the mouse, they have that poison in them now.

muttinthehut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland North Ed
Not entirely off-topic, but bought a motorcycle from a guy out in the country a few years ago. Brought it home and rode it a few times. Every time I'd go down to the garage I smelled something bad. Thought the guy had hit road kill or something. Washed the bike, like, 10 times. Then one day I noticed it lacked power going up a hill. Started looking on a forum and found a thread about a mouse in the air filter. Went downstairs to the garage, lifted the tank, and sure enough a mouse had bedded down in the air filter. He was still there. Dead of course.

Riding friends donned me "Ratburner" after that.

Jeep Gladiator Dead mouse!?! 2461263753_062c3ce06d_c

Ironically found a nest in the filter of one of my cars a few months ago. So yeah, they'll find places to hide.

WhippetTaxi

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2017 Lotus Evora 410, 2011 BMW 1M, 2001 F250
Occupation
Retired
This clearly isn’t a warranty issue, but might be a comprehensive insurance claim depending on what‘s going on.

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2005 Wrangler X
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
*I'll add to this. From a customer service standpoint is the proper thing to do. Guy gets a brand new Jeep. Under 700 miles this stupid thing happens. Service manager does him a solid and investigates the smell. Hooks the guy up. That guy is now a customer for life. Small investment upfront pays for years.
biggest problem with this, is (at least down here in S FL) they are so backed up, this will delay someone with legitimate warranty issue being repaired, then you’ve lost them for life...
Sponsored