Sponsored

Dealer Hardtop Cost

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2018 Lexus GX460
Does anyone have insight into what a dealer's cost would be for a Mopar hardtop? MY Gladiator came with a soft top, and I want a hard top for winter. I may buy a Grand Cherokee L for my wife in the near future and plan to ask for a better than retail price for a hardtop. I will buy it straight out, not try to roll it into the financing. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Junker21

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys , 1993 F-150 Off Road RC SB
Occupation
Retired Mailman
Does anyone have insight into what a dealer's cost would be for a Mopar hardtop? MY Gladiator came with a soft top, and I want a hard top for winter. I may buy a Grand Cherokee L for my wife in the near future and plan to ask for a better than retail price for a hardtop. I will buy it straight out, not try to roll it into the financing. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!
I just bought a Gladiator Willys and tried to get a discount on a tonneau cover to make the deal . Short story , Parts is parts and sales is sales and they don't work together at all . I know , stupid right ? I've tried this before on other cars I've bought and it never worked . Doesn't hurt to ask though .

Midnight Rider

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport S, RIP.
Occupation
Senior Construction Inspector
Vehicle Showcase
I tried to get the dealer to throw in a rear window storage bag on my preowned Gladiator I purchased. No dice.

OP
OP
Twig & Berries
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2018 Lexus GX460
I am going to try and will let you know how it works out. I may tell them no deal if they don't budge. Wife likes a few other vehicles, so I could walk with no problem.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I tried to get the dealer to throw in a rear window storage bag on my preowned Gladiator I purchased. No dice.
This was because your dealer didn't feel like he had to do it to get the sale. Apparently he was right.

I worked in various roles at a car dealer when I was younger. I started in parts, then service as both a service writer and a used car tech, then sales and finally F&I. I've got a good understanding of how things work.

Parts pays X for a part. They may make it up 50% for a retail customer. For the sales dept, it will be internally costed at some number greater than their cost, but discounted from retail.

If the sales dept "throws in" a part, the gross profit on the deal will be reduced by the internal cost on the item. This impacts the sales person's, f&I manager and sales manager's compensation. So they are invented to "Say no, but don't let him walk".

This is true of any accessory. The dealer will do what they need to do to get the deal. Sometimes a dealer says no because its really not worth their while to do the. deal that way. Sometimes they no because they believe that you won't "walk".

Either way, don't lie to yourself. Everything is negotiable. The problem is that you won't know whether they are just negotiating or have reached their lowest price unless you walk. And most people aren't willing to do that.

The first commandment of negotiation is that you will always get the best deal on something you don't really want. (Because you are so willing to walk away)

... I may tell them no deal if they don't budge. Wife likes a few other vehicles, so I could walk with no problem.
You clearly know the game.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Biker Paul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland North Edition
Occupation
Retired
I just bought a Gladiator Willys and tried to get a discount on a tonneau cover to make the deal . Short story , Parts is parts and sales is sales and they don't work together at all . I know , stupid right ? I've tried this before on other cars I've bought and it never worked . Doesn't hurt to ask though .
I think Bestop makes tonneau covers and I swear by their products.

Junker21

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Mailman
This was because your dealer didn't feel like he had to do it to get the sale. Apparently he was right.

I worked in various roles at a car dealer when I was younger. I started in parts, then service as both a service writer and a used car tech, then sales and finally F&I. I've got a good understanding of how things work.

Parts pays X for a part. They may make it up 50% for a retail customer. For the sales dept, it will be internally costed at some number greater than their cost, but discounted from retail.

If the sales dept "throws in" a part, the gross profit on the deal will be reduced by the internal cost on the item. This impacts the sales person's, f&I manager and sales manager's compensation. So they are invented to "Say no, but don't let him walk".

This is true of any accessory. The dealer will do what they need to do to get the deal. Sometimes a dealer says no because its really not worth their while to do the. deal that way. Sometimes they no because they believe that you won't "walk".

Either way, don't lie to yourself. Everything is negotiable. The problem is that you won't know whether they are just negotiating or have reached their lowest price unless you walk. And most people aren't willing to do that.

The first rule of commandment of negotiation is that you will always get the best deal on something you don't really want. (Because you are so willing to walk away)

You clearly know the game.

EJWF11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
… find a totaled one at your local pick-a-part 🤓

Junker21

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Mailman
On my deal I did walk and the only reason the deal got done was when I came back later to verify that they would not take my offer a different sales manager overheard and did a bunch of internal price adjustments to end up at the same result at my price . Some dealerships just can't go outside the guidelines set by management . Sales manager told me he reviews all failed deals the next day and he probably would have called me to make it work .

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my deal I did walk and the only reason the deal got done was when I came back later to verify that they would not take my offer a different sales manager overheard and did a bunch of internal price adjustments to end up at the same result at my price . Some dealerships just can't go outside the guidelines set by management . Sales manager told me he reviews all failed deals the next day and he probably would have called me to make it work .
Yup. Its all about the internal costing.

I had a prospect come in and we couldn't make the numbers work.

Fortunately I had added her into our contact management system because a month later when she was in for service, she spoke to another salesman.

Except this guy also happened to be the used car sales manager. Somehow he didn't check our system to see if or what value he had put on her trade. So he looked at the trade thinking it was his first time seeing it.

Except when it was his deal ( or so he thought) he used his authority as the used car manager to put a value on it that was $3500 (!!!) higher than the value he had put on it when it was my deal.

He made the deal, but when he went to enter her into our contact management system he saw that I had spoken with her 2 weeks earlier and had followed up with her again just a few days earlier.

So he had to split the deal with me 50:50. Ha.

He got in a LOT of trouble when the GM looked into the discrepancy in the ACVs (Actual Cash Value is the internal value that a dealer assigns to a trade. What they show you may be different) and saw that he had appraised the car much higher on his own deal.

Sponsored

tcass

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S
is that a 5 quarter....i loved those things. i was in from 70-80. mainly drove duce and a half or 5 ton.

Junker21

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Mailman
is that a 5 quarter....i loved those things. i was in from 70-80. mainly drove duce and a half or 5 ton.
I don't remember how the military Gladiator was rated . I also drove a 5 ton when I was in the states . Was so much better to be the driver than riding in the back !
Sponsored