Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Motorized toy collector
Not mine, a good friend. He just bought a 2021 Sport S Max Tow at a dealer in a neighboring town. Ordered some wheels and 35" tires. On the way to the tire shop, his JT threw two codes. UO418 faulty brake system control module, and UO415 invalid data anti lock brake system control module. Still with the stock tires on.
When he took it to the dealer, they said it was due to the 35" tires and they would not work on it. WTF? A little over 1K miles on it. I call BS. My dealer had two new Gladiators on the lot that they lifted with 35" and one with 37" tires.

His dealer is full of crap.
Looking for advise on how he should proceed. He already sold the stock tires/wheels.
Sponsored

Wkyfiregladdy

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Mechanic
Well if it threw it with the stock tires on obviously the 35’s didn’t cause it. Next point is how are all of us others with aftermarket wheels and tires running 33s 35s 37s so on and not having same issue sounds like a wiring issue to me or maybe fuse issue... lazy dealer, maybe look for a different dealer

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Private Investigator
Vehicle Showcase
Not mine, a good friend. He just bought a 2021 Sport S Max Tow at a dealer in a neighboring town. Ordered some wheels and 35" tires. On the way to the tire shop, his JT threw two codes. UO418 faulty brake system control module, and UO415 invalid data anti lock brake system control module. Still with the stock tires on.
When he took it to the dealer, they said it was due to the 35" tires and they would not work on it. WTF? A little over 1K miles on it. I call BS. My dealer had two new Gladiators on the lot that they lifted with 35" and one with 37" tires.

His dealer is full of crap.
Looking for advise on how he should proceed. He already sold the stock tires/wheels.
He should "proceed" to another Jeep dealer and have the damn tires and wheels installed and then have them flash the computer. If I recall correctly, this is the second time I have read of this type of conduct from Washington Jeep dealers. My dealer in California has absolutely no warranty issues with 35 or 37 inch tires, and will flash the computer to adjust the speedomiter and shift points when 35" tires are added, though Jeep will not allow them for some reason to flash with 37" tires.

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Crappy dealer I would find another or have them prove to you that the tires caused the issue as plenty of dealers sell Jeep’s with bigger tires

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
IS IT a manual transmission? (oops, max tow, it can't be a stick! Sorry)

Anyway, if it wasn't max tow, and if it was a stick, There's other posts here about tire size changes with a stick - it has to relearn high gear. There's a process to follow. Dozens if not hundreds of men - and women - have changed tire sizes on all levels of the JT, including SPORT.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TJDave

TJDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Motorized toy collector
Dozens if not hundreds of men - and women - have changed tire sizes on all levels of the JT, including SPORT.
My point exactly. Stock 33 to 35, to now 37, and I've never had a problem in over a year and 8000 miles. No problems with many other friends on their Gladiators and JL Wranglers with larger tires.
Thanks all for your replies. We are going to check all the wiring connections and fuses.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My point exactly. Stock 33 to 35, to now 37, and I've never had a problem in over a year and 8000 miles. No problems with many other friends on their Gladiators and JL Wranglers with larger tires.
Thanks all for your replies. We are going to check all the wiring connections and fuses.
I've never seen nor has this issue - but some have reported results with electrical gremlins by simply making sure all fuses were in firmly. A connection is a connection but apparently some aren't "good enough". Maybe oxide on a really low amp connection. Heck, it will only cost you 2 minutes.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I'd promptly leave, drive to another dealer and give the first dealer the worst review I could.
"The tires caused it" is the most dumb ass card they could play.
Especially when there's been at least TWO Sport models on our local dealer lot - one with a 3" lift and another with a 2" lift. The taller one they put really nice wheels and 37" tires on and the 2" lift they have new wheels with 35" tires. These were NEW - well, until they modified them. I have pictures of yet another the dealer near me lifted up there pretty good, was sitting in their showroom. Now if a dealer can do that to a NEW JT and sell it as new with full warranty - "it's the tires" is beyond dumb.

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Especially when there's been at least TWO Sport models on our local dealer lot - one with a 3" lift and another with a 2" lift. The taller one they put really nice wheels and 37" tires on and the 2" lift they have new wheels with 35" tires. These were NEW - well, until they modified them. I have pictures of yet another the dealer near me lifted up there pretty good, was sitting in their showroom. Now if a dealer can do that to a NEW JT and sell it as new with full warranty - "it's the tires" is beyond dumb.
I mean I'd be livid. I'd 100% report them to whoever I could as well.

Sponsored

Demo_slug

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator 2020
Vehicle Showcase
I think I had that issue on my max tow also.. The tone ring on the left rear axle shaft wasn’t pressed on right and got loose. Causing strange wheel speed measurements that confused the abs computer. New axle shaft fixed it.

cuellar13

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 RAM, 2021 Bronco Big Bend, 1966 GMC Stepside
Occupation
Director of Recruitment for Pharma/Biotech/Device Consulting Firm
When I bought my JKU, I asked the service manager (at the selling dealer) how much of a lift I could put on, and what size tires I could go to without being refused service. I was told "less than a 3" lift and smaller than 35" tires, otherwise we won't touch it..."
I read on forums at that time about dealers flagging VINs so warranty work could not be done anywhere in the US, so I did a 2 1/2" lift and bought tires that put me just over 34". I would recommend going to another dealer to see what they say. Don't even mention what the previous dealer said. Before I mod any vehicle suspension with a manufacture's warranty, I speak with the service manager first, and take it there for any maintenance. A good relationship with the dealer can go a long way in situations like this.
Sponsored