First Name
Zebulon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Mack's Toe Nacho
Occupation
Powersports Technical Support
I had the pleasant surprise of finding out after my first oil change at home that my dealer has been overfilling my engine by about a quarter and a half. That is of course unless my Jeep makes oil. I am so excited to call them on Monday and find out exactly why this is. I figured it out very scientifically. If I drain the oil out, install fresh, and then dump the old into the container the new came in it should be perfect. There shouldn't be enough to fill a quart bottle beside it and have more in it then a new jug. Old oil is on left, unopened 5qt on the right.
Just another reason to continue doing my own maintenance I guess.:angry::headbang::swear:

16555735893584570787755302754342.jpg
Sponsored

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)
I had the pleasant surprise of finding out after my first oil change at home that my dealer has been overfilling my engine by about a quarter and a half. That is of course unless my Jeep makes oil. I am so excited to call them on Monday and find out exactly why this is. I figured it out very scientifically. If I drain the oil out, install fresh, and then dump the old into the container the new came in it should be perfect. There shouldn't be enough to fill a quart bottle beside it and have more in it then a new jug. Old oil is on left, unopened 5qt on the right.
Just another reason to continue doing my own maintenance I guess.:angry::headbang::swear:

Jeep Gladiator Dealer overfilled oil 16555735893584570787755302754342
That seems to be a pattern with dealers, no matter what car you drive. My Tacoma, our Subaru, all the same. However, having said that, if you put in 5qts (in the 3.6L) it is a bit over full, but I don't think a quart and a half.

OP
OP
ReverendZ

ReverendZ

First Name
Zebulon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Only reason I even took it in to begin with was the three free from Jeep. But yes, having worked in the dealership scene I know the youngest, greenest techs usually get oil changes and they often forget that sometimes they should rtfm.

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
My truck is only going to the dealer if it's a serious warranty issue. If something like the rear camera went out I'd just buy a new one and install it myself. The $100 is worth less than dealer jackasses screwing the truck up.

Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
My truck is only going to the dealer if it's a serious warranty issue. If something like the rear camera went out I'd just buy a new one and install it myself. The $100 is worth less than dealer jackasses screwing the truck up.
Totally agree, đź‘Ťđź‘Ť my heated steering wheel stopped working, I am dreading taking it in, too expensive to fix myself.

WetWilly

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Retired bum
I will go to the dealer for serious warranty issues only. Point being, I went to work at a local Chevy dealership at 18 years old ! What I knew about cars came from my dads old dirt track cars, and all the dealer knew about me was I didn't mind getting greasy. Experience was no issue !

Mojave2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator
It sucks that the warranty and the free oil changes are part of your vehicle purchase price but you end up being paranoid using it.

For my out of warranty vehicles that require a service I’m not capable of doing I’ve been recently having mobile auto mechanics come out to my house and do the work. It’s easier to watch and talk about what they’re doing to better ensure the job is done right.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase

Jeep Gladiator Dealer overfilled oil 16555735893584570787755302754342
Did the dipstick show it too full, or are you just going by more than five quarts coming out?

am1978

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Homebrewer
Only reason I even took it in to begin with was the three free from Jeep. But yes, having worked in the dealership scene I know the youngest, greenest techs usually get oil changes and they often forget that sometimes they should rtfm.
Most, even since 2018, are stuck in the JK mindset.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ReverendZ

ReverendZ

First Name
Zebulon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Did the dipstick show it too full, or are you just going by more than five quarts coming out?
I had checked it two days prior out of curiosity and it was well above the full point then.
Besides, still pretty sure Jeeps don't make oil, unless they start making milkshakes in the pan that is. I am also confident that my drain pan was empty when I started and the amount that came out was a whole lot more than what went in.

Reactions: Mac

SnazzGlad

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
3rd times a charm at my local dealership. I told them to make sure to put 5 in not 6 because it’s a pain in the ass to suck out that extra quart and I don’t have time to wait for them to get it right. This cute 20 something blonde dang well made sure it was right. I’m probably gonna start doing my own oil changes now since I’m not gonna start paying someone to overfill it. Never had issues with my Chevys at the dealership or my local tire/ oil change joint that does work on my wife’s Equinox.

Rummie

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.siestakeyrum.com
Vehicle(s)
20 JT, 15 JKU, 22 BMW 4, Challenger R/T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rum
Vehicle Showcase
That's better than the dealer who forgot to put the oil in during one of the free changes in my JK. I have done my own oil changes ever since!

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I've had seven oil changes, and two warranty repairs, done by the dealer with no issues. I questioned them on the first one, since the paperwork showed six quarts, but that was because they didn't want to update the listing in the computer as they used the same one for all the free oil changes.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Two of the three local dealers nearest to me still have the 6 quart mindset when doing an oil change. Took my 2021 Gladiator in for the first Jeep Wave oil change last month to the selling dealership and they put in 6 quarts. I argued with them after the service that the owners manual states explicitly that it is a 5 quart fill with oil filter but got nonsense from them that they fill per what the dip stick tells them and they keep adding till it shows full. I asked them if they actually wait 5 minutes before checking per the owners manual and got deer in the headlights looks.

Funny thing is during the whole time arguing with me, they kept harping to give them all 10's on any survey I receive. I ripped them on the survey pretty bad because of what I mentioned above and got a call from the service manager sort of pissed asking me and flat out told him his service department was a clown show.
Sponsored

Last edited: