First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired Law Enforcement
I know, I know, but I decided to try the dealerships paint protection.

I'm thinking they didn't really apply the protection, at least correctly, maybe I'm wrong.

Isn't the paint protection like a heavy duty wax/coating they put on that should make water bead up, run off and help dirt come off when washing vehicle.
Sponsored

OP
OP
EXTORTION

EXTORTION

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired Law Enforcement
Just want to have my ducks in a row when I return to dealership. It won't be pretty, if they didn't do what they were suppose to. And if their "Paint Protection" is crap, then they will have another issue.

JKABBQ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Corsair, 1991 P40
I got it done and it’s a waste of money to have a dealership do it. Their “paint protection” is just a paint sealant. When the dealership outsourced mine to be done...it was so bad, the paint came back worse than when it was new off the floor. The sales manager had to personally inspect mine 3 times before it was decent enough to come back to me. In the end, I took it to a ceramic coating place and their estimate to color correct my black JT was $900. The dealership ate that cost for me to make things right for the damage caused by their paint protection. You’re better off doing a good wax job yourself than have a dealership do it for you.

7C252348-A0F1-444E-8930-23AC8F3AB278.jpeg

90455DCD-5416-4F84-B10B-7B04FAE35523.jpeg

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Had my JT done - it came back beautiful. The inside and out was excellent.
Will it hold up, how good is it, etc.? If it's like past vehicles I've had done, I'll be fine for years.
I didn't have it done on my Ford and that thing had serious paint oxidation issues, and rust issues.
We've had our Grand Cherokees done and have been happy with it on those.
Of course - this will VARY! Who does it, what exactly are they doing - what PRODUCTS, etc.
There are so many variables - you can't say they are all the same as like so many other things, results will vary by the person doing it, and the products they use. There are many many products being used out there - some you could do at home and save a ton, some not so much.
In our case, we've had good luck and when we trade our vehicles in a simple washing, vacuuming, ordinary cleaning up and they look like new again.

IMO - "it depends" - find out what products they are using and what they do.
Would I trust all of them?
My nephew worked at a place that did that sort of thing, detailing, new vehicle protection and so on - that kid knew more about cleaning and paint and glass and upholstery cleaning and protection -blew me away.... I credit him for my SX4 coming out so great in the Auburn AMO show - that car to this day cleans up so easily.......

JKABBQ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Corsair, 1991 P40
What Shadowpapa said...Each dealer will have their own vendors, in house, products etc that will be used. Some will be better than others. My dealership like I said fired the one that did the work on mine as there had been other complaints in the past. I’ve also had it done on two previous JKs in the past and it wasn’t a problem those times.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
What Shadowpapa said...Each dealer will have their own vendors, in house, products etc that will be used. Some will be better than others. My dealership like I said fired the one that did the work on mine as there had been other complaints in the past. I’ve also had it done on two previous JKs in the past and it wasn’t a problem those times.
Yours was a pretty obvious problem this time around. Glad they took care of it for you.
On the other hand, that thing is BEAUTIFUL now. Wow, what a finish.

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
Car dealerships are not detail shops. If you want paint protection and you’re not skilled yourself, go see a Detailer for ceramic coating, ppf or some combination of both

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Car dealerships are not detail shops. If you want paint protection and you’re not skilled yourself, go see a Detailer for ceramic coating, ppf or some combination of both
That's why the dealerships here farm it out to the shops that are.
There is one high-end dealership (they deal in high end imports) that has their own detail shop but that's an exception. I don't know of any dealership in the Des Moines area that does this - other than that one. It's easy to tell - when you get into your truck and there's a business card for the outfit that did the work and the dealership says they have to have it for at least a day - and you see your truck leaving the lot.

Sponsored

Riccochet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKR | 2020 Ram 2500 | 2021 JT Sport
Pro tip: the dealer doesn't actually do a damn thing to your vehicle when they sell you that crap. It's a warranty, not a coating. And it's a warranty that will never, ever pay for anything. Try to file a claim and it'll be denied 100% of the time due to "customer abuse".

Never fall for this scam. If you want paint protection take it to a professional or apply your own.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Pro tip: the dealer doesn't actually do a damn thing to your vehicle when they sell you that crap. It's a warranty, not a coating. And it's a warranty that will never, ever pay for anything. Try to file a claim and it'll be denied 100% of the time due to "customer abuse".

Never fall for this scam. If you want paint protection take it to a professional or apply your own.
LOL - maybe with YOUR dealership that's true - it's different here.

So you've tried multiple times and were refused each time?

I know the place mine was taken to, and my nephew was working at one of those places a couple of years ago before he started college. Sorry, you may be right in your area but as a blanket statement, not so much.
Mine still had some small bits of the residue in the cowl area and I could see a spot missed at where the door handle met the door metal - tiny spot, but I could tell the difference.

Snook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Graphic designer
I got it done and it’s a waste of money to have a dealership do it. Their “paint protection” is just a paint sealant. When the dealership outsourced mine to be done...it was so bad, the paint came back worse than when it was new off the floor. The sales manager had to personally inspect mine 3 times before it was decent enough to come back to me. In the end, I took it to a ceramic coating place and their estimate to color correct my black JT was $900. The dealership ate that cost for me to make things right for the damage caused by their paint protection. You’re better off doing a good wax job yourself than have a dealership do it for you.

Jeep Gladiator Dealership Paint Protection 90455DCD-5416-4F84-B10B-7B04FAE35523

Jeep Gladiator Dealership Paint Protection 90455DCD-5416-4F84-B10B-7B04FAE35523
what is ceramic coat, and how is it applied?

Riccochet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKR | 2020 Ram 2500 | 2021 JT Sport
what is ceramic coat, and how is it applied?
There are tons of great YouTube channels explaining what it is and how it's applied. Apex Detail, PanTheOrganizer, AmmoNYC, FabAutomotive.

But, essentially, it's a silicon or metal oxide coating that should be applied to a thoroughly decontaminated and paint corrected vehicle. This coating is thick, hard and durable. Depending on the concentration of the oxide layer applied it can last 1-9 years. It does not wash off like waxes or sealants. It's very durable, offers some scratch resistance, but mostly protects your paint/trim/plastics from contamination and UV damage.

In a professional setting it generally requires:

1. high pH soap contact wash
2. iron remover
3. clay bar
4. compound correction
5. polish correction
6. isopropyl alcohol wipe down
7. coating application
8. 24 hour cure time inside
9. topper application

Depending on the condition of your paint before this is started sometimes 3 and 4 can be skipped. The point being is that the paint be in as pristine condition as possible before coating it. Once coated any imperfections are now locked in under the coating.
Sponsored