Sponsored

Death Wobble Cause found article

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"

Ichthus

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gobi JTR, 20 Bikini Willys JLU, 18 GC Overland
Occupation
Pilot
The quotes from the engineer show that he understands exactly what is going on...much more so than most people...and that the “fix” is complex. Perfect conditions, with just the right suspension impact, creating a vibration of exponentially increasing severity, exasperated by colder temperatures.

You can replace the whole solid axle with an IFS to avoid the problem entirely, install a stabilizer to damp the vibrations before they become critical, or you can fix the parts that wear and enable it as they fail.

Ultimately, what will be best for everyone is if the people who can’t handle Death Wobble all turn to the new Ford Bronco and leave the solid axle life to those who accept the compromises that come with capability.

tbaker

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 silver Jeep gladiator rubicon
Wonder if this will include the Jeep gladiator and I have saw where the new Broncos are going to be solid axles also

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Has death wobble been and issue with a stock JL? I know the OEM steering stabilizer shock for the JL was beefed up pretty good compared to the older JK one.

Mig

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Has death wobble been and issue with a stock JL? I know the OEM steering stabilizer shock for the JL was beefed up pretty good compared to the older JK one.
It's a problem with any solid front axle vehicle. Handing out new stabilizers is nice and all but it won't truly fix anything. Best way to avoid death wobble is by keeping your Jeep stock (lol) and ensuring your suspension components are always in a well-maintained state. That includes replacing bushings when needed, ball joints, the works.

Sponsored

nlicalsi91

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sahara Tank Green
I have had a bone stock JKU Sahara since 2015, with acceptation of bfg all terrains, purchased brand new. I now have almost 63,000 miles on it and the only thing I have ever experienced was occasional bump steer on the highway. I do hear that the majority of death wobble cases happen when the jeep has more than a 1.5" lift. I don't know if that is entirely true though

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
It's a problem with any solid front axle vehicle. Handing out new stabilizers is nice and all but it won't truly fix anything. Best way to avoid death wobble is by keeping your Jeep stock (lol) and ensuring your suspension components are always in a well-maintained state. That includes replacing bushings when needed, ball joints, the works.
is this something i should actually be worried about? I certainly don't want to be driving around with my kid in the car and having it wobble me off the road or into a cop car or something.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
You told me nothing I did not already know. I am talking about stock out the gate new?

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Great video Steffen and makes a lot of sense.

The death wobble issue is not just on Jeeps. This issue is/was very common in the Ford Super Duties, particularly before about 2012. My newer 2016 SD doesn’t have this issue (so far).

Alaska-HWY JK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Rubicon LJ 2007 JKU 2020 Rubicon Gladiator
My Jk has 189,000km on it. Had death wobble at around 30,000km. The drag link had a bit of wear and was replaced under warranty. This was with 2.5” budget boost and 34” BFG ATs.
Since 80,000km it’s on a 3” TeraFlex lift, 4” in the front, Dynatrac PR 44 front axle with Reid high steer knuckles. Synergy tierod and drag link, RCV axle shafts and 37” tires. GY MTRs till they wore out and now Nitto Trail Grapplers.
Hasn’t had a steering stabilizer on it since 80,000Km and that was in 2010. Not another incident of death wobble either.
Dynatrac Pro Steer ball joints also. Check your torque on the track bar, they gave a lot of trouble on the JKs as the bolts cam loose and elongated the hole on the axle side.

Sponsored

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Great video Steffen and makes a lot of sense.

The death wobble issue is not just on Jeeps. This issue is/was very common in the Ford Super Duties, particularly before about 2012. My newer 2016 SD doesn’t have this issue (so far).
ha ha, didn't even see that video yet! gotta watch it-not at work.

Woodstock

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Grand Cherokee, 2016 Mini Countryman All4
Back around 2000 I had a TJ that developed Death Wobble. I replaced the worn stabilizer with an upgraded one, and that did fix it. So my plan if I ever get another Jeep is to keep it mostly stock - except for the wimpy stock stabilizer.

Gobi Wan K

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Gladiator
Occupation
Roller Coaster Tester
Back around 2000 I had a TJ that developed Death Wobble. I replaced the worn stabilizer with an upgraded one, and that did fix it. So my plan if I ever get another Jeep is to keep it mostly stock - except for the wimpy stock stabilizer.
I would put my money on your new stabilizer just hiding the problem and not fixing it. I had a TJ running 37 Krawlers on 4 inches of lift. Never had a stabilizer and never had death wobble. I did get pretty bad death wobble on my stock 2013 Power Wagon. Had to change out all the steering components. was way worse after that and it turns out the stock mopar parts were bad from the factory. Replaced everything again and no problems since.
Point being, stabilizers don't fix death wobble.

Alaska-HWY JK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Rubicon LJ 2007 JKU 2020 Rubicon Gladiator
I would put my money on your new stabilizer just hiding the problem and not fixing it. I had a TJ running 37 Krawlers on 4 inches of lift. Never had a stabilizer and never had death wobble. I did get pretty bad death wobble on my stock 2013 Power Wagon. Had to change out all the steering components. was way worse after that and it turns out the stock mopar parts were bad from the factory. Replaced everything again and no problems since.
Point being, stabilizers don't fix death wobble.
Mopar said they did. Expensive ones fix it better!

XJ2JTChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S on 35's, Mopar 2" lift, `96 XJ, 97 ZJ, `99 Camaro LS1
Such a strange topic.....it does need to be perfect conditions for it to occur and I don't believe the steering stabilizer is the "fix" what-so-ever. It is a bandaid. That's all. Hiding the problem....design. What Jeep should be doing is sending out a mass mailer or social media commercial or something along those lines, with video from inside, outside, and underneath, showing exactly what death wobble is, and how the driver should react/respond. I have experienced it in older WJs and TJs that i didnt own, and my XJs all had wonton steering conversions with 33 to 35" tires on all, never once did i have the steering stabilizer, and never once did i get death wobble. That being said, steering stabilizers are cheap, and easy to replace, which is why they chose to make this the "fix". Anyways, for anyone that doesn't know...."death" wobble is not something you as the driver should freak out about. Just maintain your course, don't go making any drastic moves or speed increases/decreases, and the vehicle will return to normal usually in 5 to 30 seconds....30 being an extreme case in my experience. (And in most cases when it lasted longer like that, it was due to worn ball joints or bushings). The term death wobble is simply because as the driver, it will sound and look like you're about to wreck, but I've also viewed the occurence from inside and out, and the vehicle always continued to track down the road as it should....even during the extreme wobble. Good luck all, hopefully our JTs wont have the problem too often.
Sponsored