Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Guys,

3.5 inch clayton suspension and 37 inch bfgs on black rhino wheels.

I have over 3k miles now on my Gladiator. Right about at the 3k mark I started getting death wobble when hitting bumps.
I noticed that it looked like weights came off of my wheels. I took it in and they rebalanced the wheels. After that I only got death wobble on one road when I would hit a specific bump (about 40 mph). Highway and normal driving was all good even with small and large bumps and pot holes.
This week I started getting it even more. I went under the truck this morning and noticed I went from 5.3 castor to about 4.3.
I adjusted the castor back to 5.5 and took it for a drive, the death wobble was worse. I checked how everything was torqued down and everything was d as far as that goes.
Not sure what else to do about the truck besides taking it into the dealer or offroad shop.
Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Check the front track bar - especially the frame bolt side. That bolt has to be super tight.

Note: It is also weird that the castor changed like that. Look and see what caused the castor to change - that may lead you to the issue...

Nespeezy

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Guys,

3.5 inch clayton suspension and 37 inch bfgs on black rhino wheels.

I have over 3k miles now on my Gladiator. Right about at the 3k mark I started getting death wobble when hitting bumps.
I noticed that it looked like weights came off of my wheels. I took it in and they rebalanced the wheels. After that I only got death wobble on one road when I would hit a specific bump (about 40 mph). Highway and normal driving was all good even with small and large bumps and pot holes.
This week I started getting it even more. I went under the truck this morning and noticed I went from 5.3 castor to about 4.3.
I adjusted the castor back to 5.5 and took it for a drive, the death wobble was worse. I checked how everything was torqued down and everything was d as far as that goes.
Not sure what else to do about the truck besides taking it into the dealer or offroad shop.
I have the exact same setup. Only difference is synergy steering brace. My caster is set 5.3 and 5.7. Did you buy the overland kit with all 8 arms front and track bars.

OP
OP
createdbeats

createdbeats

First Name
Davin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
I have the exact same setup. Only difference is synergy steering brace. My caster is set 5.3 and 5.7. Did you buy the overland kit with all 8 arms front and track bars.
I did get that kit

OP
OP
createdbeats

createdbeats

First Name
Davin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Check the front track bar - especially the frame bolt side. That bolt has to be super tight.
I will check that out again

Sponsored

Nespeezy

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
Are u using an angle finder to set you caster. With that lift you are definitely going to have to adjust and tweak front and rear pinion angles, caster, thrust angle while truck is on the alignment rack using computer. Those numbers that Clayton sends are starting points. Those are not where mine are anymore after 3 different alignment racks to get it right. You need to go to off-road shop that knows how to tweek it to get it right. It took me forever. I ended up replacing driveshafts too. Pinion angles where horrible. 3.5 inches is high on these things. You may want to check into the TSB if steering wanders and get the steering box replaced at dealership. That high can make steering really bad.

OP
OP
createdbeats

createdbeats

First Name
Davin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Are u using an angle finder to set you caster. With that lift you are definitely going to have to adjust and tweak front and rear pinion angles, caster, thrust angle while truck is on the alignment rack using computer. Those numbers that Clayton sends are starting points. Those are not where mine are anymore after 3 different alignment racks to get it right. You need to go to off-road shop that knows how to tweek it to get it right. It took me forever. I ended up replacing driveshafts too. Pinion angles where horrible. 3.5 inches is high on these things. You may want to check into the TSB if steering wanders and get the steering box replaced at dealership. That high can make steering really bad.
I am using an angle finder. I have only had 1 alignment and they set everything good up to this point where I am beginning to see the issue. I drove almost 3k miles without any issues since the alignment.

OP
OP
createdbeats

createdbeats

First Name
Davin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you guys for jumping in.
I fixed the issue. Not sure what exactly it was, but no more death wobble.
I reinstalled my track bar to make sure there was nothing in the seal that was not tight, then re torqued it.
I got my castor back to 5.5 (which I believe was the culprit).
Then I went through all the control arms and made sure I retorqued them as well.
Took it for a drive and it feels really nice.

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I reinstalled my track bar to make sure there was nothing in the seal that was not tight, then re torqued it.
Then I went through all the control arms and made sure I retorqued them as well.
Glad everything worked out! :) Usually, death wobble, especially if it's happening directly after installing a lift, is the result of something not being tightened down as much as it needs to be. It can be an annoying chase to figure out which nut or bolt is causing your issue, but a simple and quick solution is always to just go through and re-tighten everything as much as possible! Let us know if you ever need anything or experience any other issues, we're always available to help!

Rldavid

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, Avalance LTZ, Cadillac XLR, 1963 TBird, 1966 Chevy Fleetside, Jeep Cherokee, 2002 TBird
Occupation
Contracts Consultant
Hello All! As you may note, I am a newer member of this Forum. My Gladiator is a Sport, lifted to some degree by a local Dealer, sold off the showroom floor to a young man who had it about 6K miles and decided he wanted to go back to a sports car (or so the story goes). The Dealer won't tell me, or provide me any documentation, on anything they did to this JT. They did use Fox parts. It appears to be about a 3" lift. My Daughter convinced me to let her have my Trailhawk and get this from the Subaru dealer who sold the young man a BRZ as a sports car.
Since April when I bought it, I've put about 10K on it. It has, and still has the "wander" from the steering box. Took it the dealer over three months ago. Had to fight with the dealer as I'd installed a dual stabilizer kit to see if it made any difference in the wandering (some, not enough). First thing they said was I'd voided any warranty related to steering. Called BS on it. Also let them know it was experiencing actual "death wobble", not just heavy vibration. They kept it 5 days. After multiple calls and two in-person visits they agreed to order the steering box, and told me to pick it up as they'd have to wait until late October to be allowed to order the box. Still waiting. Still have not admitted to, nor addressed death wobble being an issue, or, acknowledged it as a "thing".
I didn't buy it to leave sitting, waiting at home. So, in the meantime, I've purchased and installed Steering Smart tie-rod, drag link and track bar, and the stabilizer relocation bracket and clamp. And did the adjustments for the track bar and alignment. Then took it to an off-road shop to check everything, verify torques, track and alignment and inspect. Much better, but still get wobble.
I've now ordered and received the Dana Spicer ball joints and going to install those too.
Wheels have been balanced and aired properly. I've thought about control arms, but, will wait to see how things go after the ball joints are done.
Do not understand why FCA would have so much of an issue with all this. I have a 1966 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 truck I've never had issue with. Of course, it doesn't have power steering either.

Last edited:

Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Hello All! As you may note, I am a newer member of this Forum. My Gladiator is a Sport, lifted to some degree by a local Dealer, sold off the showroom floor to a young man who had it about 6K miles and decided he wanted to go back to a sports car (or so the story goes). The Dealer won't tell me, or provide me any documentation, on anything they did to this JT. They did use Fox parts. It appears to be about a 3" lift. My Daughter convinced me to let her have my Trailhawk and get this from the Subaru dealer who sold the young man a BRZ as a sports car.
Since April when I bought it, I've put about 10K on it. It has, and still has the "wander" from the steering box. Took it the dealer over three months ago. Had to fight with the dealer as I'd installed a dual stabilizer kit to see if it made any difference in the wandering (some, not enough). First thing they said was I'd voided any warranty related to steering. Called BS on it. Also let them know it was experiencing actual "death wobble", not just heavy vibration. They kept it 5 days. After multiple calls and two in-person visits they agreed to order the steering box, and told me to pick it up as they'd have to wait until late October to be allowed to order the box. Still waiting. Still have not admitted to, nor addressed death wobble being an issue, or, acknowledged it as a "thing".
I didn't buy it to leave sitting, waiting at home. So, in the meantime, I've purchased and installed Steering Smart tie-rod, drag link and track bar, and the stabilizer relocation bracket and clamp. And did the adjustments for the track bar and alignment. Then took it to an off-road shop to check everything, verify torques, track and alignment and inspect. Much better, but still get wobble.
I've now ordered and received the Dana Spice ball joints and going to install those too.
Wheels have been balanced and aired properly. I've thought about control arms, but, will wait to see how things go after the ball joints are done.
Do not understand why FCA would have so much of an issue with all this. I have a 1966 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 truck I've never had issue with. Of course, it doesn't have power steering either.
What size tires are you running with the 3 inch lift ? What were the specs of the last alignment you did with the new track bar and tie rod ? Caster ? If you do not have these numbers, get on level ground (or zero out the angle finders) and take an angle finder reading at the top and bottom of the ball joint, and an angle reading on the front differential. This will help us figure out your caster. Also, post some pictures from the side of the front diff, springs, control arms, etc...

Last edited:

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
I have found on other Chrysler/Jeep platforms with similar suspension designs the BFG's are a common denominator in death wobble. Any time someone calls the shop inquiring about a fix, I always ask them what tires are on it....It's 9/10 BFG KO's or sometimes KM's that are worn down to the last 1/3 of tread.

I have never had a full on death wobble per se on any of my own vehicles, but I am very sensitive to when I feel an oscillation in the steering wheel on a particular location in the road between work and home.........Even though everything checks out fine, I've been able to stop it with a monotube steering stabilizer.

Glad you got her dialed in cause its nerve racking wondering when it might do it again!

Rldavid

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, Avalance LTZ, Cadillac XLR, 1963 TBird, 1966 Chevy Fleetside, Jeep Cherokee, 2002 TBird
Occupation
Contracts Consultant
What size tires are you running with the 3 inch lift ? What were the specs of the last alignment you did with the new track bar and tie rod ? Caster ? If you do not have these numbers, get on level ground (or zero out the angle finders) and take an angle finder reading at the top and bottom of the ball joint, and an angle reading on the front differential. This will help us figure out your caster. Also, post some pictures from the side of the front diff, springs, control arms, etc...
The only info the 4-Wheel Center provided from their check and set shows Passenger camber at 1/4", Driver camber at 1/2"; a little under a 100 miles ago. Only off-road since then was go out into the very near by New Mexico desert. Sand is fairly soft in most areas. That's it. The left side has always felt loose, but I couldn't find anything specific. At least, that's where it feels like the wobble starts up. Never had wobble at highway speed, just 20 - 40 range.

Rldavid

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Contracts Consultant
And, sorry. Tires are those installed by the dealer, Falken, Wildpeak M/T, 33" (rounded up)

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Do you think the springs settled ? or did you add a winch or something ? that could have thrown off your original caster setting ?
Sponsored