Deeper Gearing For The Manual

Dusty Rag

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator
Hi all! First time posting here long time Jeeper. I ordered my JTR MT 6 weeks ago and am currently E1 status. I’m getting super excited and have been spending quite a bit of time here reading lots of comments. I’ve definitely noticed that for some the manual seems to have its disappointments. But I’ve always had a manual since I started driving and couldn’t bring myself to buy the auto this time around either. I drove the auto and just didn’t love it. My buddy has a manual JL sport and I thought it was actually pretty good although I didn’t get it up to highway speeds. I definitely noticed the needed higher rpm shifts and lack of low end torque feel. I see Centerforce makes a heavier weight flywheel which I think would help but I’ve also read people saying 5th and 6th don’t seem to have much use. So to me this sounds like a differential gearing issue more than a transmission issues. On older Jeeps the manuals always had lower gears than the autos but now they are the same. Also, a wide spread in gears for an off-roader was always my preference. Why not do 4.56 or 4.88 gears on stock 33s? Has anyone done this? I’ve done some searching but haven’t found anything. I’m just curious what others think.
Sponsored

BGH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Finance
I just bought a manual rubicon model and my initial reaction is that the gearing is great. In daily driving it’s more like a 4 speed than a 6 speed, which I’m fine with. It should work nicely in 4L in the backcountry all day long with all of that gear spacing. Clutch is fine too. I had initially planned on replacing the clutch as soon as possible, but no way I’m doing that after spending a little time with it. My biggest complaint with the manual setup is that reverse is insanely tall. I am happy I don’t have the 3.73 axles.

CJXJJT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
51 CJ3A, 71 CJ5, 72 CJ6, 93 XJ, 21 JT
Occupation
Machinist
I just bought a manual rubicon model and my initial reaction is that the gearing is great. In daily driving it’s more like a 4 speed than a 6 speed, which I’m fine with. It should work nicely in 4L in the backcountry all day long with all of that gear spacing. Clutch is fine too. I had initially planned on replacing the clutch as soon as possible, but no way I’m doing that after spending a little time with it. My biggest complaint with the manual setup is that reverse is insanely tall. I am happy I don’t have the 3.73 axles.
I own the same Jeep as BGH an agree on all points. Reverse takes a little to get used to but still love the manual! Gearing in low is pretty fantastic, you'll love it. I do use 5th & 6th mostly for economy on flat ground.

OP
OP

Dusty Rag

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator
Awesome! It’s great to hear that you’re enjoying your manuals!

Chocolyle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR Sarge Green MT
Occupation
Technical Sales / Security
I have the JTR manual as well. I love the shift feel, short and well defined. (For a truck, its not a 993) It did take some getting used to though and found turning off the hill assist helped stop the stalling when leaving from a stop. 4 Lo and the Rubicon's 4.10 is awesome. I am running the stock Falkin 33 M/T tires. Reverse is not great, I had to back up my 12X72 dump up a slight hill and the high temp warning for the clutch came on, should have dropped to 4 Lo, reverse in that is perfect.

Also, I can't recommend enough, go to a local muffler shop, or do it yourself, and get rid of the stock muffler, leave the 2 resonators in place. Nice sound, little to no drone and it doesn't sound like a Prius any more. Stock exhaust and it can be difficult to hear where you are, whats going on. Muffler gone and you are in the know.

I will be replacing the clutch at some point with the Center Force, then lift and tires. Probably 37 pizza cutters. Will see on a re-gear at that point.

Sponsored

JeepJunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TJ Rubicon, 2019 JLU, 2022 JT Mojave
I have a JLU and a Mojave JT (4.10 gears on the JTM), both 6 speed manuals.
I run 4.56 gears on the JL, and ran 33’s for a year, have 35’s now.
4.56 and 33s is an awesome combination, excellent acceleration, can cruise at 70mph with revs at 2500 in 6th. Now with the 35s on the JL I wish I had 4.88s.
That said, i actually am surprised by how useable the 6 speed is with the 4.10s and 33s on my JTM. I won’t regear that unless I go to 35s on that (not in the plan currently). I can use 6th as low as 60-61 mph in the JTM.
Enjoy the manual, it’s a great transmission.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
You'll be fine on the JTR with 4.1s stock. Just don't go thinking it's 6 speed haha. It's really a 5 speed with an extra overdrive. Don't go in thinking it's a close ratio sports car, and you'll be fine. I might regear, but that's because I have bigger tires. Even now, it's still carrying me just fine.

Last edited:

Hipbilly

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport, 2007 FJ Cruiser
I'm at 4.56 on 34" (BFG 35s), and its pretty much perfect. I'd say 4:10 would be more than fine for 33's, but if you have to re-gear, might as well future proof it.
I'd be comfy up to 37s on my gearing, I don't think 4.88 would be needed unless you never hit 70mph.

FWIW, 85 is effectively max speed for me, I don't like sustaining over 3Krpm, and I had to convince myself that cruising at 2,500rpm (75mph) is OK. actually gets better mileage than 2,000rpm (anecdotal observation, don't attack).

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
I'm at 4.56 on 34" (BFG 35s), and its pretty much perfect. I'd say 4:10 would be more than fine for 33's, but if you have to re-gear, might asi well future proof it.
I'd be comfy up to 37s on my gearing, I don't think 4.88 would be needed unless you never hit 70mph.

FWIW, 85 is effectively max speed for me, I don't like sustaining over 3Krpm, and I had to convince myself that cruising at 2,500rpm (75mph) is OK. actually gets better mileage than 2,000rpm (anecdotal observation, don't attack).
I keep RPMs between 2000 and 3000 unless I'm passing or climbing. Seems to be the sweet spot.

BGH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Finance
Also if you’re a manual person as I am, best to just keep going with that just like you did. I bought a 2020 Tacoma OR LB, which only came in auto. First auto I ever bought, and I’ve owned a bunch of vehicles. Huge mistake and a waste of some money. It’s gone now and I love the manual gladiator in a way I could never love any taco, especially that particular one.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Dusty Rag

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator
Also if you’re a manual person as I am, best to just keep going with that just like you did. I bought a 2020 Tacoma OR LB, which only came in auto. First auto I ever bought, and I’ve owned a bunch of vehicles. Huge mistake and a waste of some money. It’s gone now and I love the manual gladiator in a way I could never love any taco, especially that particular one.
That’s good to hear too! I was looking at getting a taco long bed but was bummed when they didn’t offer it with a manual. I figured if I was going short bed I’d rather have the gladiator.

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S
Occupation
EHS
4.56 seem like the perfect compromise for 35s if you DD your truck.

-miko-

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo Wagon, Tundra, Nissan NV, '21 Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Designer
I am happy I don’t have the 3.73 axles.
Spot on. My first JT was a manual Sport with the 3.73 axles and it was pretty miserable. If I had kept it, definitely would have regeared to 4.56. Life dictated going to an auto though but I did go with 4.11 gears which helps the engine/tire combo tremendously.
Sponsored