First Name
Hans
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator EcoDiesel
Occupation
burner of tax dollars
I have a 21 gladiator EcoDiesel. I purchased a RK 3 inch lift kit. That turns out is for a gas rig. I really would like to use the track bar elimination feature on the rear of this kit. But the stock def tank is in the way. Has anyone relocated the def tank yet ?
Sponsored

OP
OP

hansshanks

First Name
Hans
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator EcoDiesel
Occupation
burner of tax dollars
When I purchased from the seller I was under the impression it was compatible with the diesel. The main reason I chose rock krawler was the track bar elimination feature. I can not return it because I purchased it from a private party. I was unaware that the track bar elimination feature was not useable on a diesel version with out modifications. In either case. I am aware that the spring rates are wrong. That is a lesser problem at the moment, seeing as how I can not currently install the rear suspension at all. Thus my reason for looking into options for moving the def tank. Spring rates are a small problem with a easy fix. The def tank is a larger problem. And if I can not find a satisfactory work around I will likely scrap the entire kit as I would rather go with Iron Rock Off-road.

Wouldn't you be better off returning it and getting a kit made for the diesel? The springs in that kit aren't going to be tuned for the added weight of the diesel.

ThatStinging_Jeep

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon In Sting Gray
Vehicle Showcase
When I purchased from the seller I was under the impression it was compatible with the diesel. The main reason I chose rock krawler was the track bar elimination feature. I can not return it because I purchased it from a private party. I was unaware that the track bar elimination feature was not useable on a diesel version with out modifications. In either case. I am aware that the spring rates are wrong. That is a lesser problem at the moment, seeing as how I can not currently install the rear suspension at all. Thus my reason for looking into options for moving the def tank. Spring rates are a small problem with a easy fix. The def tank is a larger problem. And if I can not find a satisfactory work around I will likely scrap the entire kit as I would rather go with Iron Rock Off-road.
yeah man i was under the same impression but as i was looking under the truck admiring everything underneath i was like "AWWWWWWWWWW man,the def tank is right there" then i looked behind the truck looking right infront of the axle and i was like "yup.....cant do a triangulated rear :(

FlyingPig2019

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 EcoDiesel Gladiator
yeah man i was under the same impression but as i was looking under the truck admiring everything underneath i was like "AWWWWWWWWWW man,the def tank is right there" then i looked behind the truck looking right infront of the axle and i was like "yup.....cant do a triangulated rear :(
I spoke to RK about this last month. They told me a solution is in the works. Like you, I want the 4 link suspension. Last week I ordered the diesel kit and will upgrade to the 4 link when they come up with the solution. I couldn’t wait any longer. Bottoming out the front suspension on Walmart speed bumps pissed me off enough times. Anything is better than the 2 inches of clearance Jeep gave us.

Sponsored

ThatStinging_Jeep

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I spoke to RK about this last month. They told me a solution is in the works. Like you, I want the 4 link suspension. Last week I ordered the diesel kit and will upgrade to the 4 link when they come up with the solution. I couldn’t wait any longer. Bottoming out the front suspension on Walmart speed bumps pissed me off enough times. Anything is better than the 2 inches of clearance Jeep gave us.
Did they told you how long it would take for them to find a solution for the def tank ?

ThatStinging_Jeep

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Did they told you how long it would take for them to find a solution for the def tank ?
Welp called them and I got a very vague response of something probably coming out by the end of the year to next year.....sadly
kinda annoyed not gonna lie since that's the only reason I wanted a RK kit,I'll probably still end up buying a rk lift kit either way and wait until they release some sort of fix for this and install the rear triangulation truss along with the uca's

FlyingPig2019

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 EcoDiesel Gladiator
Welp called them and I got a very vague response of something probably coming out by the end of the year to next year.....sadly
kinda annoyed not gonna lie since that's the only reason I wanted a RK kit,I'll probably still end up buying a rk lift kit either way and wait until they release some sort of fix for this and install the rear triangulation truss along with the uca's
I was told it’s “close” but that was all he could tell me. I’ve gone ahead and ordered the lift. It should all be here by the end of next week. Once the DEF tank relocation is sorted out, I will purchase the 4 link rear cradle and upgrade it then. I’m not terribly concerned it’s not ready yet. The 3” lift even with the rear track bar is still worlds of difference over the 2 inches of shitty travel Jeep gave us in these trucks.

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
Dixie4wheeldrive has done a relocation on their monster JT build.

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
Get a stage 2 and remove the tank. Done deal.

Sponsored

Alanized

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1C6JJTBM9NL136661
Occupation
Retired
This is my first post... But I have Relocated the DEF tank.

I purchased the RK adventure series four link rear end diesel kit knowing that I had to relocate the DEF tank. The DEF tank is plastic so cutting it (for me) is not really an option and I’m not sure if it would work in the factory location. I did not like the idea of in the bed or a rear mount but those are two other options. I chose to remove the spare tire and build a bracket and extend the hoses, injector tube and electrical. I attempted to purchase a second wiring harness from the dealer but they told me I’d be voiding my entire warranty. When I said “cancel my entire extended warranty” they modified their response to a warranty issue directly related to my DEF tank relocation and thew RK suspension. That is more reasonable. I found the main male and female harness connectors on line from the Connection Experts and extent the wiring for the relocation by 36”. It’s a 12 pin connector known as EXP1225F and EXP1225ML. They come with 8” of wire.

On the relocation of the tank. It is easier if it is close to empty but it is not too difficult to remove the fluid. I inserted a breather line to open the check vale and poured out as much as possible. Then the fiddling began. I decided to mount the tank with the electrical connections at the rear. I made a hanger bracket to ensure the axle articulation would not hit the tank and placed it as high as possible with access to the three pipe connections on the top. I removed the inner fender flare to access the fill line. I simply extended the fill and breather lines with same OD pipe and a union. No cutting was required though a heat gun is helpful. To put the fender well back in you will need the plastic rivets and a rivet gun that has a long draw. I had to purchase one that deals with plastic rivets.

The relocation only involved drilling two holes, one through the spare tire carrier to mount a “U” bolt to support the new frame on the passenger side. I also used the redundant spare tire lowering cable bolt hole for the rear support. On the driver’s side I made a small bar with two studs to slip into the frame to attach an angle bracket with two studs protruding up to attach another angle bracket to support the DEF Tank. There is no way to get one piece over the frame and I did not want to drill through the side frame. The second hole drilled the top side of the beam between the two main frame rails to bolt the front side of the hanger bracket. In retrospect a “U” bolt may have worked here as well. My hangers use the DEF tank bolt holes. I had to add a 3/4" piece of bar to lower the DEF tank to access the hose connections on the top.

The derivers side hanger is a piece of straight bar drilled and tapped to use the OEM bolts and holes. The Left side hanger is more extensive and, for the most part, shields the Def tank. I used the bottom bolts that used to connect the DEF tank to the rear of the fuel tank. Overall my bracket seems to be very sturdy.

THE ERROR: Don’t cut the DEF injector line. There is a heat tracing line inside it. I tried to extend the injector line and heat tracing wire but had leaks. I tied to “sleeve” the connection so I could solder and heat shrink the tracer line but could not clamp the hose tight enough to stop the leak. There must be more pressure than the clamps can hold. I abandoned the idea of re-connection the interior heat trace line. The 5mm push in union fittings sealed without issue. Hopefully I can find a longer injector line with a heat tracing line but for the time being I have reconnected the DEF line with push on connectors and 5MM tube. Since I’m only using the vehicle in the summer I’m not overly concerned about DEF freezing. Recently I purchased and installed an OEM DEF injector line, weather protected to tube connection, and re connected the heater line. Then I cleared all the error codes with and OBDII reader.

My system can easily be put back to stock if the need be. I plan to ordered a set of rear upper control arms and the rear track bar for the rear end five link system so the DEF tank can be put back to a stock configuration and a lift maintained. This will require two alignments but worth it just in case of future winter driving. I have lots of pictures. Also sent my notes to RockKrawler.
Jeep Gladiator Def tank relocation? tempImagehLILEq
Jeep Gladiator Def tank relocation? tempImagerATmAY
Jeep Gladiator Def tank relocation? tempImages3DduV
Jeep Gladiator Def tank relocation? tempImagefJ4gsM
Jeep Gladiator Def tank relocation? tempImagewkDTQ
Jeep Gladiator Def tank relocation? tempImageLiUVHf
Jeep Gladiator Def tank relocation? tempImageQ1qn1k
Jeep Gladiator Def tank relocation? tempImagexvAlxB
Jeep Gladiator Def tank relocation? tempImagePIYvNf
Jeep Gladiator Def tank relocation? tempImagei0qNiO

tempImageKTwkQl.png

tempImageqMeNEM.png

tempImagepkOhDb.png

tempImageYscOuv.png

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
This is my first post... But I have Relocated the DEF tank.

I purchased the RK adventure series four link rear end diesel kit knowing that I had to relocate the DEF tank. The DEF tank is plastic so cutting it (for me) is not really an option and I’m not sure if it would work in the factory location. I did not like the idea of in the bed or a rear mount but those are two other options. I chose to remove the spare tire and build a bracket and extend the hoses, injector tube and electrical. I attempted to purchase a second wiring harness from the dealer but they told me I’d be voiding my entire warranty. When I said “cancel my entire extended warranty” they modified their response to a warranty issue directly related to my DEF tank relocation and thew RK suspension. That is more reasonable. I found the main male and female harness connectors on line from the Connection Experts and extent the wiring for the relocation by 36”. It’s a 12 pin connector known as EXP1225F and EXP1225ML. They come with 8” of wire.

On the relocation of the tank. It is easier if it is close to empty but it is not too difficult to remove the fluid. I inserted a breather line to open the check vale and poured out as much as possible. Then the fiddling began. I decided to mount the tank with the electrical connections at the rear. I made a hanger bracket to ensure the axle articulation would not hit the tank and placed it as high as possible with access to the three pipe connections on the top. I removed the inner fender flare to access the fill line. I simply extended the fill and breather lines with same OD pipe and a union. No cutting was required though a heat gun is helpful. To put the fender well back in you will need the plastic rivets and a rivet gun that has a long draw. I had to purchase one that deals with plastic rivets.

The relocation only involved drilling two holes, one through the spare tire carrier to mount a “U” bolt to support the new frame on the passenger side. I also used the redundant spare tire lowering cable bolt hole for the rear support. On the driver’s side I made a small bar with two studs to slip into the frame to attach an angle bracket with two studs protruding up to attach another angle bracket to support the DEF Tank. There is no way to get one piece over the frame and I did not want to drill through the side frame. The second hole drilled the top side of the beam between the two main frame rails to bolt the front side of the hanger bracket. In retrospect a “U” bolt may have worked here as well. My hangers use the DEF tank bolt holes. I had to add a 3/4" piece of bar to lower the DEF tank to access the hose connections on the top.

The derivers side hanger is a piece of straight bar drilled and tapped to use the OEM bolts and holes. The Left side hanger is more extensive and, for the most part, shields the Def tank. I used the bottom bolts that used to connect the DEF tank to the rear of the fuel tank. Overall my bracket seems to be very sturdy.

THE ERROR: Don’t cut the DEF injector line. There is a heat tracing line inside it. I tried to extend the injector line and heat tracing wire but had leaks. I tied to “sleeve” the connection so I could solder and heat shrink the tracer line but could not clamp the hose tight enough to stop the leak. There must be more pressure than the clamps can hold. I abandoned the idea of re-connection the interior heat trace line. The 5mm push in union fittings sealed without issue. Hopefully I can find a longer injector line with a heat tracing line but for the time being I have reconnected the DEF line with push on connectors and 5MM tube. Since I’m only using the vehicle in the summer I’m not overly concerned about DEF freezing. Recently I purchased and installed an OEM DEF injector line, weather protected to tube connection, and re connected the heater line. Then I cleared all the error codes with and OBDII reader.

My system can easily be put back to stock if the need be. I plan to ordered a set of rear upper control arms and the rear track bar for the rear end five link system so the DEF tank can be put back to a stock configuration and a lift maintained. This will require two alignments but worth it just in case of future winter driving. I have lots of pictures. Also sent my notes to RockKrawler.
Jeep Gladiator Def tank relocation? tempImageYscOuv

I don’t know how I missed this post….. but we’ll done!!

many shots flexed out with the 4 link rear?
I cannot wait to ditch the rear track bar…. Absolutely dislike the way the rear feels at speed…. Pogos and shifts.
Inspiration!

Alanized

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1C6JJTBM9NL136661
Occupation
Retired
I haven't had the opportunity to take pictures of the articulation yet, but it feels good so far. Heed my waring on the def line. Leave the original in place, cap and cover the ends and make your own new line. I had quite the time clearing the DEF error codes. Also if you're cold climate like me it is only a warm season truck. I store it the winter.

Brianb6603

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Toyota 4x4 pickup, 2011 VW Golf TDI
Occupation
Electronics tech
Get a stage 2 and remove the tank. Done deal.
I am interested in doing a stage 2 and deleting all the excess parts for all the obvious reasons and also want to install a RK 4 link but have not found anyone who is giving out any information on doing so... can anyone point me to a vender who will do it for an export vehicle? Yes, I know that the EPA will go nuts but it is going to be exported out of the UNITED STATES.

I do have some experience with this process having done so to my VW Golf TDI. The results are truly fantastic.

Thanks
Sponsored