Sponsored

Def troublecode at 1542 miles

jwalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(2021 Gladiator Diesel Rubicon) (2020 Gladiator Overland) (2004 TJ, 2" lift).
Received my first troublecode today P20C6. The vehicle had been running all morning and I was just pulling off the freeway after about a 150 mile trip. This code refers to the DEF heating circuit. Thought I would at least share. I will call and schedule an appt with the dealer tomorrow.

From what I found online at OBD codes:
If the PCM detects improper voltage that is outside the normal expected value range within the control circuit for reductant heater D, a code P20C6 will be stored and a malfunction indicator lamp may be illuminated. Reductant heaters may be inside a DEF tank (example shown here): What is the severity of this DTC? A stored code P20C6 should be considered severe and addressed as quickly as possible. The SCR system could be disabled because of it. Catalyst damage could result if the conditions which contributed to the code being stored are not rectified in a timely manner.

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/p20c6
Copyright OBD-Codes.com

88501D51-BE62-4593-9325-276777E63E4E.png
Sponsored

OP
OP
jwalt

jwalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Check that all your fuses and relays are seated properly.
I checked these. Fuses were fine, relays were only partially seated. I reset the OBD code and will see if it occurs again. This particular code gets set in the permanent codes. Any idea if I need to notify Jeep or the dealer in case of further problems?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I checked these. Fuses were fine, relays were only partially seated. I reset the OBD code and will see if it occurs again. This particular code gets set in the permanent codes. Any idea if I need to notify Jeep or the dealer in case of further problems?
Absolutely! You want all faults on record in case it lasts until 2 days after your warranty is up, OR in the case something else happens.

OP
OP
jwalt

jwalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got another code today P208B saying def system requires service and to take it to a dealer. Started running really rough so I called and take it to them in a week. 1643 miles. F-ing DEF
Jeep Gladiator Def troublecode at 1542 miles 3BCF7503-5128-4B30-860D-95FE0AFB1058

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
The first thing to check for with code P208B is DEF contamination or degraded ...
according to one troubleshooting thing I found.

OP
OP
jwalt

jwalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I put the pedal monstor in my wife's gas gladiator, the diesel has plenty of poop for me and I am still running the tank of DEF that came from Jeep.

JeepDrvr2018

First Name
Montgomery
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Excellent video series on YouTube about DEF. If new to it/diesels, suggest you watch it and learn. I alternate between Walmart def and the Blue DEF. One time the WM, next time the BD. I put DEF into motorhome. My usage will be different than yours, but I add about 2.5 gallons+ to the DEF tank for every 400-800 miles I drive. I went from Oregon to Georgia, used about 13 gallons of DEF. It has limited shelf life, it can freeze, won't hurt it, and the def tank should be kept full if you are planning on storing vehicle for month or so. Condensation can build up in tank, and mess up the system. Personally I would fill it up weekly (driven miles) and don't normally use Pump DEF, just buy the stuff in jugs and put it in. It is corrosive to paint and aluminum (just consider all metals a hazard) do not put in diesel cans which have zinc metal in them, don't mix it and diesel period. Don't piss in tank and think that is good.

OP
OP
jwalt

jwalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am only new to leaving the DEF system in tact. I run the tank preheater at night and use the block heater to help keep everything from freezing. I am just a bit disappointed at 1600 miles getting a Def system must be serviced at dealer code. I chose to take the risk on an early Gladiator diesel though. Hopefully it is repeatable and able to be fixed not just band aided.

Sponsored

JeepGuy82

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler TJ, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
What's the update on this? I have an EcoDiesel Rubicon with no DEF issues, but am curious what the resolution was in case I have this issue.

OP
OP
jwalt

jwalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What's the update on this? I have an EcoDiesel Rubicon with no DEF issues, but am curious what the resolution was in case I have this issue.
I ended up clearing the codes because the dealer couldn't get me into service for a few weeks and I needed the vehicle for work and it was running very bad. I believe there was a misunderstanding because at first they said they couldn't do anything unless there was an active code so I had to cancel the first appt. I had one of those codes come on again earlier this week and I made another appt at the dealer. This time they are saying since it is in the permanent codes they should be able to diagnose. It is going in Tues 1/5/21. My guess is It is a fluke with the low temperatures and the DEF pump. I am hopeful for a resolution but I am half guessing that nothing will be found or able to be diagnosed. I will try to remember to update later next week.

JeepGuy82

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler TJ, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
Keep us posted. Hoping the issue is resolved for you quickly.

OP
OP
jwalt

jwalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have had my gladiator to the dealer a couple of times. Their assumption is that it is the DEF line heater. There are two DEF heaters, one on the tank and one in the line to the engine. Currently they put a “diagnostic in process” tag on my Jeep. The fourth time I threw this code It was about 24 degrees F ambient temp after the vehicle has been warmed up and run for at least 20 minutes. I live where it has been around 0 F and I do use the block heater.

OP
OP
jwalt

jwalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I ended up having to take a couple trips to the dealer for this issue. The first time they said they could not pull anything up to diagnose, but given I had which codes were thrown they put it as a diagnostic in process with suspicion that it was one of the two DEF heaters on the system. I was worried about the DEF freezing and had been careful to avoid this. About a week later the Jeep threw the code again. It had been running for over 30 minutes and I was running down the highway at 70mph with an air temp of 24 F. This time the dealer pulled the DEF pump and verified the lines were not frozen. They attributed the P20C6 fault which online lookup is a DEF heater problem to an actual faulty DEF pump. They had a spare on their shelf and replaced it. They were up front with me that this was the first step in attempting to fix the issue and there may still be other issues that could cause this code.
Sponsored