DEFECTIVE TRANSFER CASE on Diesel Rubicon

Schreconjeep

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 StingGray JTRD, '09 Prius, '15 Odyssey
I've had the EcoDiesel Rubicon for a month and a half. A couple weeks ago I went to PetersMill trail with the fam and it was the first time using 4WD. I thought it odd that I didn't see indicators of being in 4WD besides feeling it. At the end of the trail i couldn't get it out of 4 Low until I costed in N while pushing the lever up.
JEEP official videos tell you that going in and out of 4Low should be done while moving at 2-4mph in neutral (which I cannot figure out as it is a really difficult thing to do!)

Then I was heading up a steep logging road to get firewood and it popped out of 4Low into Neutral (SCARY AF)!

Took it to the dealership in WV and they said they couldn't get it in 4WD at all and that I needed a new transfer case :surprised:! So I left and went back to getting firewood...in 4wd but still no indicators.

Got home to Maryland and took it to my dealership and they said the same exact thing. 'Couldn't get it in 4WD and needs a transfer case." So that's where my baby is right now and I hope to get her back Monday.

Just letting everyone know that was something that happened and wondering if anyone experienced the same or had any thoughts.

Thanks
Sponsored

Whitejeeptj

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ, 2013 F150 FX4, Gladiator Sport S Diesel
Occupation
MRI tech
Wow, I haven't tried 4WD yet. When I get home I'll see what happens. I am sorry to hear this, I'd be bummed out big time if it was mine. Keep us up to date.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Wow, I haven't tried 4WD yet. When I get home I'll see what happens. I am sorry to hear this, I'd be bummed out big time if it was mine. Keep us up to date.
When the transfer case is new, it is hard to shift. They are tight. If you do not get it into 4WL fully, it can pop out of gear. Also the lockers may bind up on you. If you have any trouble, put it in reverse and goose it a little bit, before you shift out of 4WL or try to turn off the lockers. that should unbind the gears and let everything work more smoothly. I have 16K miles now and have been in 4WL a lot. The shifting is way smoother now, than when it was brand new.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
When the transfer case is new, it is hard to shift. They are tight. If you do not get it into 4WL fully, it can pop out of gear. Also the lockers may bind up on you. If you have any trouble, put it in reverse and goose it a little bit, before you shift out of 4WL or try to turn off the lockers. that should unbind the gears and let everything work more smoothly. I have 16K miles now and have been in 4WL a lot. The shifting is way smoother now, than when it was brand new.
Yup

NEWBWHEELER

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Explorer ST, 2020 Hydro blue Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Free loader
I hope you guys are right cause mine still pops out of 4 low into N still.

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I had a Wrangler like that once and I adjusted the linkage a bit myself and the problem went away. Sometimes in the linkage is off just a little it'll prevent the t-case from firmly hitting its detents for each setting.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
I hope you guys are right cause mine still pops out of 4 low into N still.
Mine popped out of 4WL a couple times when it was brand new. When it happened, it was hard to get into 4WL, then, it finally went in -- or so it looked like. I used to have a hard time getting it into 4WL sometimes. Then, it got easier to get it into 4WL and the issue just went away. I live in mountainous, hilly terrain, so, when I 4wheel, I am always in 4WL, and many times have the rear locker on. I have noticed less and less issues locking, binding, and unlocking as I have put the miles on the JT.

Take it out for a nice 4Wheel trip and shift it many times from 4WH to 4WL, and also exercise the lockers -- they would also bind up more when new. If you have any issues Locking, binding, or unlocking, go back and forth from forward to reverse -- this will loosen up the gears.

OP
OP
Schreconjeep

Schreconjeep

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I’ve heard that it is tight when new and gets easier and I guess that’s why I kept going after the first trip. But when there were ZERO indicators of 2H, 4H N or 4 L and lockers wouldn’t engage. I got concerned it was a problem. Then I popped out on a cliff and that’s when I took it in.
Both dealerships had issues with 4WD and independently decided to change the TCase.
So when I get it back, I’ll have to go to Rouche Creek for a weekend and break it.....in. :idea:

NEWBWHEELER

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Explorer ST, 2020 Hydro blue Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Free loader
Mine popped out of 4WL a couple times when it was brand new. When it happened, it was hard to get into 4WL, then, it finally went in -- or so it looked like. I used to have a hard time getting it into 4WL sometimes. Then, it got easier to get it into 4WL and the issue just went away. I live in mountainous, hilly terrain, so, when I 4wheel, I am always in 4WL, and many times have the rear locker on. I have noticed less and less issues locking, binding, and unlocking as I have put the miles on the JT.

Take it out for a nice 4Wheel trip and shift it many times from 4WH to 4WL, and also exercise the lockers -- they would also bind up more when new. If you have any issues Locking, binding, or unlocking, go back and forth from forward to reverse -- this will loosen up the gears.
Thanks I’ll give this a go.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Schreconjeep

Schreconjeep

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have her back with a new transfer case but have not had an opportunity to try it out yet.

kclendaniel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
That's a bummer. I tested my 4wd on Peters Mill Run at nearly the same time in early November. Went north to south and did nearly half in 4H before moving into 4L. It was tight but not impossible and no gear grinding. The popping out and not getting the indicator light makes me think it isn't letting you get it all the way into the proper position. I bet that TC was built on a Monday after a holiday... Good that they swapped the whole thing out. Hopefully you got to exercise it in the snow.

Scrambler84

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Diesel, 2012 JKUR, 1984 Scrambler
Occupation
Network Engineer
I wouldn't have drove it out of the dealer with out it being cycled between 2h, 4h and 4l several times, had mine in 4h yesterday 2 days out of the dealers lot
Sponsored