Design of under seat storage flawed?

alwyslpy

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
So this has been in the back of my mind since I first saw/heard about the backseat lockable storage. I feel like the design is flawed...hear me out..

So I see the box as a place to throw things, secure it and get out quickly as needed. For your fisherman, perhaps some collapsible poles, baits, etc, the gun range person, some guns and ammo, mechanic, some basic tools.

The issue is: You can't have both.. you can either use the box as a permanent storage, secured but unmovable, OR as a removable locked box, that's not really secure because someone can just take the whole box.

By this I mean, in order for you to lock it and secure it, the box has to be bolted in meaning you could not remove it easily. You would have to unlock it, unscrew it and then remove it. Or you leave the bolts out, but then someone could just take the box and bust it open in the comfort of their own home..

I would like to see a mod that allows you to quickly secure/unsecure the box to the truck. Perhaps some sort of two piece slot system. a U shape bolted to the truck, with a male end O that slides into the U and some sort of mechanism to lock it in place that's accessible.

Hope this all makes sense. I just love the removable/lockable box but feels it falls short of its real potential.
Sponsored

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 2020 Gladiator LE
Vehicle Showcase
So this has been in the back of my mind since I first saw/heard about the backseat lockable storage. I feel like the design is flawed...hear me out..

So I see the box as a place to throw things, secure it and get out quickly as needed. For your fisherman, perhaps some collapsible poles, baits, etc, the gun range person, some guns and ammo, mechanic, some basic tools.

The issue is: You can't have both.. you can either use the box as a permanent storage, secured but unmovable, OR as a removable locked box, that's not really secure because someone can just take the whole box.

By this I mean, in order for you to lock it and secure it, the box has to be bolted in meaning you could not remove it easily. You would have to unlock it, unscrew it and then remove it. Or you leave the bolts out, but then someone could just take the box and bust it open in the comfort of their own home..

I would like to see a mod that allows you to quickly secure/unsecure the box to the truck. Perhaps some sort of two piece slot system. a U shape bolted to the truck, with a male end O that slides into the U and some sort of mechanism to lock it in place that's accessible.

Hope this all makes sense. I just love the removable/lockable box but feels it falls short of its real potential.
Duct-tape.jpg

Fixed!

Sponsored

OP
OP

alwyslpy

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
You can actually Keep
it unbolted from the floor and just flip the seat down and lock the seat. Problem solved

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
You can actually Jeep it unbolted from the floor and just flip the seat down and lock the seat. Problem solved
Kinda incorrect. The tops of the seats can be locked so you can’t get to what’s behind the seats. The bottom seat cushions can not be locked in the down position. Just lift them up to gain access to the box below the seats. The box itself can be locked. And if the box is left unbolted then anyone can lift the entire box out and run off with a box, regardless of weather or not the box is locked or unlocked. It’s really best to keep it bolted to the floor and locked if you don’t want to get your box stolen.

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
So if you flip the top of the seat over the bottom it doesn't lock? Well that sucks...

Screenshot_20190525-114547.png

TheITGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2021 Toyota Rav4 Limit
Kinda incorrect. The tops of the seats can be locked so you can’t get to what’s behind the seats. The bottom seat cushions can not be locked in the down position. Just lift them up to gain access to the box below the seats. The box itself can be locked. And if the box is left unbolted then anyone can lift the entire box out and run off with a box, regardless of weather or not the box is locked or unlocked. It’s really best to keep it bolted to the floor and locked if you don’t want to get your box stolen.
Or if you live in Chicago, they'll just use a battery powered Dremel with a cutting wheel to cut the latches and take what's inside anyway...

Sponsored

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
So if you flip the top of the seat over the bottom it doesn't lock? Well that sucks...

Screenshot_20190525-114547.png
That would be nice if it did that. But to the best of my knowledge it only locks the seat back in the upward position. Does not lock the seat back when it’s in the horizontal position. Believe that falls under the wishful thinking category. But to be honest I am certain that Jeep didn’t think to do that for the simple reason that they put locks on the under seat box that really should be left bolted to the floor. That way you can lock up what’s under the seat in the box and what’s behind the seat. Just don’t unbolt the box, problem solved.

LittleRocker

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S and Tesla Model 3
My Sport S didn't have the locking boxes. An unintended, but nice consequence, is that the bag for the front tops fits perfectly in the space.