First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Truck Driver
Sorry, posted something like this in the wrong category. Thanks to those who responded there
Really want a Diamondback SE but really not sure about the money. $$$$$
Upsides/Downsides?
Worth the money?
How was shipped condition? Not a big fan of truck freight
Any comparable options?
Sponsored

kd1yt

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Sport S Red, 2014 Ural sidecar 2wd motorcycle, '51 Dodge M37
Buy once cry once. I thought long and hard before taking the plunge (on an HD) and gradually accumulating the funds, and haven't regretted it once. Have had it about a year.

Mine arrived on a pallet matching the size of the product package, and was well packed and protected and un-damaged.

I once had a different hard cover, of a composite type, on a different truck - corrosion ruined it where metal was riveted into the composite, and it became damaged in a way that was hard to even re-connect the structural elements (metal rivets had corroded and expanded but weakened, due to salt, behind the outer composite surface, and then tore out unexpectedly, leaving all of the parts distorted and compromised).

No product is flawless, but this is an impressively well-designed and crafted product - if its features and functions match what you want.

OP
OP
Fouts

Fouts

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Truck Driver
Buy once cry once. I thought long and hard before taking the plunge (on an HD) and gradually accumulating the funds, and haven't regretted it once. Have had it about a year.

Mine arrived on a pallet matching the size of the product package, and was well packed and protected and un-damaged.

I once had a different hard cover, of a composite type, on a different truck - corrosion ruined it where metal was riveted into the composite, and it became damaged in a way that was hard to even re-connect the structural elements (metal rivets had corroded and expanded but weakened, due to salt, behind the outer composite surface, and then tore out unexpectedly, leaving all of the parts distorted and compromised).

No product is flawless, but this is an impressively well-designed and crafted product - if its features and functions match what you want.
Do you think the SE makes sense? I really don't plan on setting anything on top of it, I also own a full size truck for big trucky stuff.

kd1yt

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Sport S Red, 2014 Ural sidecar 2wd motorcycle, '51 Dodge M37
Do you think the SE makes sense? I really don't plan on setting anything on top of it, I also own a full size truck for big trucky stuff.
I've never seen the SE first-hand. The HD is stout and comes with a bunch of cleats, if you anticipate wanting the cleats (more than are present on the SE) it starts to make sense to get the HD, which already has them, and it's just more robust. I expect that the SE is well crafted for what it is. Neither SE nor HD should be subjected to a lot of strong upward pull on the cleats, the overall design is much more able to resist downward pressure than upward/cross pulling forces. Hope that helps.

OP
OP
Fouts

Fouts

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Truck Driver
I've never seen the SE first-hand. The HD is stout and comes with a bunch of cleats, if you anticipate wanting the cleats (more than are present on the SE) it starts to make sense to get the HD, which already has them, and it's just more robust. I expect that the SE is well crafted for what it is. Neither SE nor HD should be subjected to a lot of strong upward pull on the cleats, the overall design is much more able to resist downward pressure than upward/cross pulling forces. Hope that helps.
Very much, thanks

Sponsored

Rockabillyroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
I fixed the few leaks I have in my DB last year, but there's new leaks this year. I'm consider going a different route. Maybe a rolling tonneau an cross bars.

BigLizzard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
I make people bigger brighter and louder
I had an hd on my taco a couple years back. I miss having that. I can easily stand on it and it keeps my things secure in the back. I did get some moisture on wet days, but not a large amount of water.

Nigelcorn

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willy's Ecodiesel
I have the SE and it is plenty stout for what I do with it (mount a rooftop tent). I had no intentions on carrying an ATV on too, so the HD with it's extra weight didn't provide any benefit to me.

Anyway, it's a quality product. It is more expensive than other hard tonneaus, but not by that much considering how long it seems it'll last. I would highly recommend one.

OP
OP
Fouts

Fouts

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Truck Driver
would someone be able to tell me if you can fold panels so that you can drive with open?

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
would someone be able to tell me if you can fold panels so that you can drive with open?
You can. Just need to secure it. You remove the shocks and it folds right over. You can also remove a panel while leaving the other on.

Sponsored

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator - Overland - Gator
You can fold one of either of the two at anytime and drive like that—best to secure the panel if you choose to do it.

Additionally, you can remove the panels VERY quickly and just leave the cross piece.

And if you want to remove the whole thing, it only takes about 5-minutes. I leave painters tape in my bed rails to marn where the cross piece goes so if I have to put it back on, I do t have to guess about how to line it up. Putting it back on probably takes me less than 10-minutes, easily.

I frequently load trash barrels in the back with the rear panel folded back. I just use bungee cords or rathchetvstraps to keep the panel folded down (using the dock cleats as anchor points).

stingrey

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JTR, '15 Range Rover
Occupation
Civil Eng
- Upsides - the bed is more secure than the cabin (if there is such a thing as secure)
- Downsides - need to remove it to put large tall items in bed but the upside to the downside is the cover can come off in a few mintes.
- Worth the money? - to me, absolutely!
- How was shipped condition? well packed, no damage at all. Delivered to me in Canada.
- Any comparable options - nothing that I have seen

The SE is stong enough for most. I'm 220lb and I can walk around on it. I ordered their extra cleats. They were easy to install.
Jeep Gladiator Diamondback cover My DB Cover

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
The only reason that I can think of to justify one is to be able to put weight on top of it. If you aren’t doing anything like that then I think you’d be much happier with something like a bakflip. I loved how it folded up against the cab or you could go with the revolver. They’re more practical for most people and cost less than those diamondback covers and look a hell of a lot better. They’re also flush mount which gives you more options for accessories.

OP
OP
Fouts

Fouts

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Truck Driver
The only reason that I can think of to justify one is to be able to put weight on top of it. If you aren’t doing anything like that then I think you’d be much happier with something like a bakflip. I loved how it folded up against the cab or you could go with the revolver. They’re more practical for most people and cost less than those diamondback covers and look a hell of a lot better. They’re also flush mount which gives you more options for accessories.
You are exactly right but you ever get something stuck in you head and now I think thats what I need.
Sponsored