First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Things & Stuff
I would like to hear from diamondback owners what they think about the tops and if the HD version is that much better.

My truck is part work truck... Holding tools and materials but I also will be adding a rack and tent this summer.

I think for the rack, I will do something that attaches around the top rather than to the top so I can't see needing the payload of the HD version but I do work in some rough areas so added security would be good.

From your experience is the HD any more secure than the SE or is it just more sturdy weight wise?
Sponsored

Nebulocity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Mojave - Sting Gray
I would like to hear from diamondback owners what they think about the tops and if the HD version is that much better.

My truck is part work truck... Holding tools and materials but I also will be adding a rack and tent this summer.

I think for the rack, I will do something that attaches around the top rather than to the top so I can't see needing the payload of the HD version but I do work in some rough areas so added security would be good.

From your experience is the HD any more secure than the SE or is it just more sturdy weight wise?
I just received and installed the HD this week. I went with the HD because I intend to haul everything on top and wanted to make sure I had enough capacity. Probably overkill but who cares. What will I haul? Plywood, 2x4's, bikes, gear, vacation stuff, everything.
I would say it's about as sturdy as you can get. Walking on it is like walking on a floor, no give whatsoever.
Install was fairly easy. Adding the shims to the bedrails wasn't fun, but I had it done under an hour with no damage to the rails.
It's pricey but I would recommend, if you go with the DB, it was worth it to me to go a few hundred more and get the HD.
I installed a Bedrug XLT on the inside also, and I'm pretty pleased with that too.
Jeep Gladiator Diamondback HD or SE on my Mojave? 20210412_191433

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JTRD
I donā€™t have one, want one.
The HD is $300 more. Seems worth it to me.

The SE is only rated for 400lbs on top. Thatā€™s not much. Two dudes and your maxed.

OP
OP
Logan94605

Logan94605

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Things & Stuff
I just received and installed the HD this week. I went with the HD because I intend to haul everything on top and wanted to make sure I had enough capacity. Probably overkill but who cares. What will I haul? Plywood, 2x4's, bikes, gear, vacation stuff, everything.
I would say it's about as sturdy as you can get. Walking on it is like walking on a floor, no give whatsoever.
Install was fairly easy. Adding the shims to the bedrails wasn't fun, but I had it done under an hour with no damage to the rails.
It's pricey but I would recommend, if you go with the DB, it was worth it to me to go a few hundred more and get the HD.
I installed a Bedrug XLT on the inside also, and I'm pretty pleased with that too.
Jeep Gladiator Diamondback HD or SE on my Mojave? 20210412_191433
Aw man! Thanks for the photo.... It looks just like my Mojave. I was debating over the smooth or classic diamond finished and you totally set it for me. That top looks great on the sting grey. I went with the Weathertech bed liner in the first week and it's held up pretty good... Concrete debris, boulders, demo from a bath remodel. But the bedrug sounds like a good addition under the top to keep the noise down.

So the shims come with the top now right? Any tips on removing the rails? I installed the front trail cam and tore apart the whole dash in the first month, so I'm sure it can't be much harder than that..haha

Nebulocity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Mojave - Sting Gray
Aw man! Thanks for the photo.... It looks just like my Mojave. I was debating over the smooth or classic diamond finished and you totally set it for me. That top looks great on the sting grey. I went with the Weathertech bed liner in the first week and it's held up pretty good... Concrete debris, boulders, demo from a bath remodel. But the bedrug sounds like a good addition under the top to keep the noise down.

So the shims come with the top now right? Any tips on removing the rails? I installed the front trail cam and tore apart the whole dash in the first month, so I'm sure it can't be much harder than that..haha
They do ship the shims now with the top. And they provide pretty decent instructions on getting the rails off. Just a lot of patience and easy force to not snap the clips. Once you figure out one side, the other side goes pretty quick. Still was a pain though.

Sponsored

Diogenes

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I went with SE instead of HD. I feel that the HD is for larger trucks so you can put wheelers up there or a tent.

I would be reluctant to put too much weight up top because it would mess with stability.

The HD is made of a thicker aluminum and comes with more cleats. Other than that it is the same. You can't really go wrong.

OP
OP
Logan94605

Logan94605

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Things & Stuff
I went with SE instead of HD. I feel that the HD is for larger trucks so you can put wheelers up there or a tent.

I would be reluctant to put too much weight up top because it would mess with stability.

The HD is made of a thicker aluminum and comes with more cleats. Other than that it is the same. You can't really go wrong.
Thanks for the feedback. My partner kicked in the extra $400 to get the HD just to get me to shut up about it...haha. Problem solved!

Rockabillyroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT

I think there's an additional support that's welded across to hold that extra weight.

I went with the SE as well. HD was overkill for my needs. But for those that can, there's a military discount for those that qualify. I think it was 15% or 20%. Huge savings.
I bought a blemished one for about the same amount and a quick turn around.

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JTRD
Iā€™m eventually a buyer; question:

How is the HD overkill?

In my head, I see me standing or sitting on top of it, likely with a couple of my kids. Parking it at the top of a ravine with a buddy and myself sitting on it hog hunting.

The SE is only rated for 400lbs.

Jcsii

First Name
Clark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR / TJ / CJ5 / MB
Occupation
Elec Eng
For security, on the HD I have at least, the rods for the hatch in the front and back extend into the track on the bed sides. Not sure if its any different on the lighter one.
A heavy duty pry bar would probably force it open but you would really have to want to get in and it would take some effort. I suspect a large pipe wrench would over come the lock on the handles.
Don't mean these as criticisms, just observations. It's probably better than 90% of the covers out there. I will keep the casual guy out and deter most.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Logan94605

Logan94605

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Things & Stuff
For security, on the HD I have at least, the rods for the hatch in the front and back extend into the track on the bed sides. Not sure if its any different on the lighter one.
A heavy duty pry bar would probably force it open but you would really have to want to get in and it would take some effort. I suspect a large pipe wrench would over come the lock on the handles.
Don't mean these as criticisms, just observations. It's probably better than 90% of the covers out there. I will keep the casual guy out and deter most.
Thanks Jcsii..... That's pretty much what I figure. It's really the job site during the day or a parking lot situation that I will rely on it the most so it's probably secure enough for that. I am a little worried it will challenge somebody just because it looks like it must be hiding something good..haha

Diogenes

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Iā€™m eventually a buyer; question:

How is the HD overkill?

In my head, I see me standing or sitting on top of it, likely with a couple of my kids. Parking it at the top of a ravine with a buddy and myself sitting on it hog hunting.

The SE is only rated for 400lbs.
For your use case I would get the HD. I am not sure how sturdy the bed sides are though. After fiddling with it a bit the SE seems to be made much more sturdy than the bed itself is.
Sponsored