Sponsored

Did I make a mistake getting a JLU instead of a JLUR?

John Black

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Wrangler
Did I make a mistake on getting a JLU instead of a JLUR?

Rubicons cost about 10 to 15k more, it does come with some nice upgrades, but I’ve always been a believer that if I buy a Sport and make it my own then it’s just a good without the higher monthly payments. You are going to replace wheels and tire, bumpers, add quick releases, skid plates, etc... to upgrade either Jeep. I agree if you don’t plan on doing those upgrades and want to off road, buy the Rubicon. Now, that I am in the stages of updating my sport, I keep being told you should have gotten a Rubicon and I keep asking myself why? Did I make a mistake?
Sponsored

Chipe

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
I personally, a non-Rubicon owner, don't think you made a mistake. You will take your JLUxxxxxx and make it your own, no matter what platform you start with. With the Sport you have more to work with! :)

Warpath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 2.0T JLR 2-Door, 2020 GT500
Only you can answer that. Everyone uses, needs, wants and spends differently. The popular opinion on what you need is irrelevant

Sponsored

fjrrider

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hydro Blue JLUS
Every situation is different.
It doesn't take long to narrow the gap once you start doing upgrades.
Also, when it comes to resale time, you're not going to recover the $ you spent on the upgrades whereas the Rubi will have a higher starting point when looking at trade/resale value.
You also get some other goodies with the Rubi that you don't get with the sport:
115V outlet
Power Windows (comes on Sport S, but, not Sport)
Nicer cloth seats
Better base radio
Rock rails
Better brakes
Bigger alternator
Better base suspension
AC standard (comes on Sport S, optional on Sport)
Garage door opener
LED interior lighting and console bin task light

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
No Mistake made...you can buy Rubi axles for $3000-4000.
You don't need electronic disco sway bars, get manual discos for $150, no electronics to go haywire and leave you stranded.
You can buy Rubi suspention and rock rails for like $1 or free there are so many available...Hell you can get the performance rails from a MOAB for dirt cheap too.

Radio doesn't help you off road
Leather seats? meh Bartact seat covers IMO are better.
LED lights can be had aftermarket for cheaper
OEM metal bumper package is meh

People are buying RUBis and MOABS and taking parts off left and right

Stick with the lower payment and capitalize on the amount of RUbis and MOABS that will never go offroad but people are upgrading.

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
All great points. Other thing to consider from my point of view would be general purpose.

For me, I have a Sahara on order. Went with 2.0. Many may ask why. A few reasons.

It’s replacing a fully loaded Toyota Highlander. Actually an additional vehicle for the family. Now have a teenage driver in the house (prayers appreciated!!!!!) :) so we are transitioning vehicles. Our daughter will take the G6 Coupe, my wife will take the Highlander and I will have the Sahara.

It will be an everyday driver. I drive a good amount for my job and find myself several times a year traveling to ON, Canada as well as several states in the Mid-West. So the Sahara will have some creature comforts and actually have around or even better MPG as the highlander.

Our daughter will be heading off to college next fall so my wife and I are looking for a fun country cruiser as well as for our travels to the Mountains of East TN.

So we did not feel the Rubi was necessary but selected what we felt to best fit our lifestyle.

SouthLeb

First Name
Rame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUS punk'n
I don't know if this your first Jeep, it was mine.
Forums are bad for making you feel need Rubicon. A dealer advised me to get Sahara since it was first jeep.
Ended getting Sahara, for me it was the sweet spot on price, equipment and overall drive.
If I decide that I need upgrades I can always add them or trade in for Rubicon :like:

Enjoy it, and push it to its limits.

Sponsored

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
John, it's not unusual for one to second guess a choice they made after the fact. I do it myself. Don't worry about it, just enjoy modding the Jeep you have. The decision can be changed, but it's gonna cost ya. And, unless you're planning on some serious off road antics the Sport will serve you well.

ZenWorld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Sahara, 2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
No mistake, my man. The mistake would have been buying a Rubicon and feeling like you paid too much and didn't need all that fancy jumbo it offers.

I always prefer to buy cars as stock as possible to shape them into what I ideally need. You save money, and you come out with a car that feels yours.

I personally bought a Sahara as I loved the leather seats and the entertainment system it had. I didn't want to do that afterward as I felt it would look tackier... So it worked out for me. I now take it Off-Roading and haven't felt the need to upgrade as the trails I've done can easily be done if you are smart about the way you tackle obstacles.

My biggest advice for you is to tell those guys to go rock crawl off a mountain!

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
It’s a mistake if you have regrets or didn’t get what you want. If you’re satisfied with what you’ve got then everything’s OK. If not, ask yourself why you didn’t buy what you like.

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
I got a fully loaded Sport S. Not a fan of the Rubicon.
Already ordered Evo suspension, XD60s, Raceline Beadlocks, Pat 38s and much more.

Reason being, everything on the Rubicon I don't want except maybe for the fenders.

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Every time I experience how capable my Sport is off-road, I stop worrying about what kind of Jeep I have.
Sponsored