Sponsored

Did you purchase the Discount Tire Certification

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
I am fixing to purchase a set of 37” tires from DT for my new JTR and was curious, how many of y’all purchase the certs from DT? Have you needed to use them? Or have they been a waste of money?

They seem like a good idea to me, especially if you are going to be off-roading.
Sponsored

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 2020 Gladiator LE
Vehicle Showcase
I am fixing to purchase a set of 37” tires from DT for my new JTR and was curious, how many of y’all purchase the certs from DT? Have you needed to use them? Or have they been a waste of money?

They seem like a good idea to me, especially if you are going to be off-roading.
The one time I didn't buy them I ripped my sidewall on an outing. Would've saved me $300 vs. the $150 the certs cost upfront. Live and learn. . .

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
I have been buying tires from Discount Tire for twenty years. I bought tires for daily drivers for Mrs. Klutch, Daughter Klutch, Son Klutch and me. I also got tires for my 1970 Mustang Mach 1 at Discount Tire.

Yes, I always get the certificates. They have come in quite handy many times. In fact, in 2011 I bought Mrs. Klutch a brand new Subaru Legacy. Shortly thereafter, she badly scuffed the sidewall on one of the factory Bridgestone tires and destroyed it. Those tires were over $250 each. When I went to Discount Tire to order a replacement, the rep said, "Hey, you have very few miles on this car. I can sell you a certificate for the rest of the tires. That way, if it happens again, you're covered." I agreed.

When I brought the Subaru in to get the new tire installed, they noticed another tire had a badly scuffed sidewall. That same rep said, "You know what, I missed that and you now have a certificate. You get a free tire." Nice!

Over the next several years, every one of those Bridgestones suffered a failure. Every one of them had to be replaced. And every one of them was covered by the certificate at no cost to me. The last tire failed when Mrs. Klutch was away from home in Denver. She went to a Denver Discount tire. They pulled up her file and said, "Wow, you sure got your money out of those certificates!". Then they installed a new tire free of charge.

So, yeah. Get the certificates.

saintpauljeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubi, '03 BMW Z4, '20 Mitsu OutSport
Occupation
Software Developer
Bought the certs once never used them. Then I found out they installed two wheels on the wrong axels (staggered sizes on my convertible). That has been the end of Discount Tire for me.

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bought the certs once never used them. Then I found out they installed two wheels on the wrong axels (staggered sizes on my convertible). That has been the end of Discount Tire for me.
And to which, 100% perfect tire shop do now go?

Sponsored

saintpauljeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Developer
And to which, 100% perfect tire shop do now go?
Costco. They have a great warranty included in the reg price.

Who said anything about being perfect? Flipping the wheels on the wrong axel was a pretty avoidable mistake.

Mouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon

Who said anything about being perfect? Flipping the wheels on the wrong axel was a pretty avoidable mistake.
I used Costco once for tires. Not again, I'll continue to use Discount. The guys at Costco over torqued (way over-torqued) the lug nuts on two wheels, under-inflated 2 and over-inflated 4 (on my dually pickup). While walking by the garage bay as they were working on the truck, I overheard one of the guys tell another to just get the wheels on and that the lug torque doesn't matter. I was not happy.

I have a good relationship with my local Discount tire. If they pulled the crap that Costco did, I'd find another Discount store.

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

It's avoidable, but stuff happens. Dollars to doughnuts, stuff has happened at Costco as well.

Sponsored

saintpauljeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Developer
I used Costco once for tires. Not again, I'll continue to use Discount. The guys at Costco over torqued (way over-torqued) the lug nuts on two wheels, under-inflated 2 and over-inflated 4 (on my dually pickup). While walking by the garage bay as they were working on the truck, I overheard one of the guys tell another to just get the wheels on and that the lug torque doesn't matter. I was not happy.

I have a good relationship with my local Discount tire. If they pulled the crap that Costco did, I'd find another Discount store.
probably every shop has a negative story, I shouldn't have included my quip as it was off topic and something I don't usually do, but I guess I'm still annoyed with them

MawkStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
For me, Discount tire gets my business for their service.

I buy the certificates...and I have used them with absolutely zero hassle.

I also got a tire patched (from the inside) for free when the vehicle I brought in was fairly new and hadn't gotten tires from them yet.

I realize they probably patch tires for free for most anyone as a sales tactic, but their prices are usually competitive and their service is top-notch.

AZJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Just bought 4 Nitto Ridge Grapplers (285/75/18) at $322 apiece, so yes - I absolutely bought the certificates. I've been in too many situations where tire shops (plural, not one in particular) basically say a tire is not fixable, so a new replacement tire has to be purchased. This happened once already on my wife's new Telluride.

The certificates were $219 for all four tires. The other thing is Discount is right down the street, so that also helps.

Last edited:

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I don’t buy warranties on anything... Except at Discount Tires. I probably have had 1 tire replaced out of every 3 I buy from them. And these are good name brand tires. Usually the failure is my fault. Maybe I just have bad luck, but they’ve paid off.
Sponsored