Sponsored

Diesel: Aux Tank or Larger Fuel tank

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
If anyone knows of a larger replacement tank, or an aux tank please post up.
Sponsored

Dennisbeyle

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator Retired
I have a 35 gal gravity feed aux in the bed. Gives me 1200 +\= range can fuel motorhome /generator when takes 15” of bed mounts to headboard: Aero tanks in San Bernardino California

Abnmarine

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Overland
Occupation
Retired
I have a 35 gal gravity feed aux in the bed. Gives me 1200 +\= range can fuel motorhome /generator when takes 15” of bed mounts to headboard: Aero tanks in San Bernardino California
Can you post a picture?

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
It would be great if you could make a new thread on the diesel forum & cover your install, especially how you tied into your fuel feed. Thanks

Last edited:

Sponsored

Josh00333

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Freedom
Build Thread
Link
DETAILS!

What did you buy, PN? Install?

Dennisbeyle

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
Occupation
No part # the tank was custom made and installed by aero tank. Super simple open valve feeds stock tank you can use 100% of bed tank 35 + gal I fill every 6 to 8 weeks jus love it. Aero has my measurements:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Dennisbeyle

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
Occupation
I chose not to do install but they tie into the rubber filler line between stock tank and def tank w/3/8 hose to aux tank

Abnmarine

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Overland
Occupation
Retired
Thanks for the pictures. I’ve installed a few transfer tanks on other trucks and always used a RDS install kit that includes the T-fitting into the main line. Is this what you used?

Also, any issues with the fuel gauge staying full as you are driving when the auxiliary tank is filling the main tank? One of the trucks I did the gauge dropped to empty because the computer thought there was an issue after driving 100 miles with no fuel used in the main tank.

I love the idea of adding a few more gallons of fuel. I’d probably stay around 22 gallons if possible.

There is a nearby company that makes tanks that I’ve been eying. I’m just curious how it is tied into the fill line.

Sponsored

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
Thanks for the pictures - quick question:
If you fill up the stock tank, then fuel up the aux tank but forget to close the valve, will fuel not overflow out of the factory filler neck?

Josh00333

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Freedom
Build Thread
Link
Thanks for the pictures - quick question:
If you fill up the stock tank, then fuel up the aux tank but forget to close the valve, will fuel not overflow out of the factory filler neck?

With a gravity feed system, yes they will. One of the issues with them.

Abnmarine

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Overland
Occupation
Retired
It shouldn’t overfill if you are using a check ball valve in the T connection at the main line. Of course this needs to be positioned correctly in order to work properly. It is designed to close the fuel supply from the auxiliary tank when the fuel is full in the main line where the connection is. This is why I asked if you used a RDS kit.

Josephus

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTDR for Dad. 03' TJ daughter. 07'JKLR to son.
Occupation
IT dude, electrician, and a few other things ;)
Vehicle Showcase
There's a company from down-under called "The Long Ranger" and they have been making auxiliary tanks for installation between the framerails where it belongs. It's an additional 18 gallons of gasoline. I don't see a diesel version yet.
http://thelongranger.com.au/jeep/gladiator/jt/petrol/ta89p
The aussies take their outback excursions seriously and I would put Long Ranger right up there below ARB for quality.
With over 35 gallons of fuel between the framerails, you can fit a proper size water tank in the bed.
-Stay hydrated out there