First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
Now that summer is here, it is clear that the Diesel Gladiators will get hot if you push them ( towing ), and a LOT of us are pissed about it. Before I sell mine I want to do everything I can to see if I can make something work.

We have all heard FCA mention that the 3.0L was limited by its cooling and that is likely because they were not going to redesign the front end. Once I started dissecting mine it was clear there are plenty of issues with this current setup.
First off all the bottom 6" of the radiator is blocked by the plastic bumper.
Second, the horns should go somewhere else. Why block perfectly good airflow
Third, there are multiple types of grills that may help air flow. The Overland and Rubicon grills have decorative bezels that narrow the slots. The Sports and black grill option have narrow slots which adds 15% area.

The next hot day I get I am going to do a 30 mile out and back trip and document my Engine Coolant, Oil Temp, Trans Temp, and add another thermocouple under the hood somewhere. I will be towing my 5600 lb camper and try to hold 70mph.

Test 1 - Remove the grill completely and compare.
Test 2 - If changes were not significant I will add to it by cracking the hood open with spacers and straps to hold it in place. Hopefully it will allow more air movement around the engine.

From here I think the results will determine if grill modifications or hood vends will do anything and what the best case scenario would be. If either work I will consider removing the front bumper.

To get an idea of "best case" I would say start looking at the RAM eco diesel forums. They have much bigger radiators and the engine is basically the same. If they are doing well and not having towing issues than maybe we can hope for that. If they are also struggling with overheating while towing than it will be a sign to sell and move on šŸ˜¢.

I would like to keep this thread solution based if possible so if you have any ideas, lets get testing.

Jeep Gladiator Diesel cooling options and ideas Radiator

Jeep Gladiator Diesel cooling options and ideas Overland grill

Jeep Gladiator Diesel cooling options and ideas Sport grill

Jeep Gladiator Diesel cooling options and ideas engine

Jeep Gladiator Diesel cooling options and ideas side

Jeep Gladiator Diesel cooling options and ideas layout

20220220_160029.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I look forward to the results of your testing. Sadly, I doubt that you will come up with anything better than what the Jeep Engineers have already done.

A 2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2020 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Construction
After relocating the horns, can you move the front cooler forward and create a space between the two?

OP
OP
jeepin48

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
After relocating the horns, can you move the front cooler forward and create a space between the two?
It would be tough because so many of the hoses are rigid and I dont know if it would be beneficial. My understanding is that you want them close so the air goes through the different coolers and not between.

Last edited:

Sponsored

am1978

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Homebrewer
I will go ahead and throw out the idea of putting a mister on the front bumper as well.
I have a used black matte grill. Took it off my JL before I sold it, had it on for two years. If you have a rubicon or model other than sport variants you already have the grill surround trim for it. Iā€™d let it go for a decent price if you want it. Pm me if interested.
Jeep Gladiator Diesel cooling options and ideas 02283A53-C684-4465-B607-C24913568496

am1978

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Homebrewer
I have a used black matte grill. Took it off my JL before I sold it, had it on for two years. If you have a rubicon or model other than sport variants you already have the grill surrounds for it. Iā€™d let it go for a decent price if you want it. Pm me if interested.
Jeep Gladiator Diesel cooling options and ideas 02283A53-C684-4465-B607-C24913568496
It looks like it has the ā€œdecorativeā€ parts molded in, doesnā€™t it?

staying_tuned

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: TJx2, JKx1, JKUx1
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Architect

Sponsored

staying_tuned

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: TJx2, JKx1, JKUx1
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Architect
I look forward to the results of your testing. Sadly, I doubt that you will come up with anything better than what the Jeep Engineers have already done.
Absolutely we can. We arenā€™t limited by material quality, cost, time or the need for symmetry/modularity. Itā€™s quite common to see an increase of 40% more capacity on an aftermarket intercooler because we can ditch the plastic end caps for cast aluminum. We can ditch legacy veins for a proper bar and plate config. All that applies to radiators as well. Tie in a quality active oil cooler etc. Donā€™t lose hope!

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Absolutely we can. We arenā€™t limited by material quality, cost, time or the need for symmetry/modularity. Itā€™s quite common to see an increase of 40% more capacity on an aftermarket intercooler because we can ditch the plastic end caps for cast aluminum. We can ditch legacy veins for a proper bar and plate config. All that applies to radiators as well. Tie in a quality active oil cooler etc. Donā€™t lose hope!
I should have clarified my statement, cost is a big issue. Can you come up with something better for a reasonable price that the typical JT owner will be able to afford?

Chance575

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C
Occupation
D
Havenā€™t checked yet but the 392 wrangler is suppposed to have a bigger fan so dont know if itā€™s the same as ours. Or copy any of the other mods on it for cooling

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
Take a hole saw to the cross brace in front of the radiator.
Sponsored