Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
Even synthetic? Not trying to be a keyboard warrior but thought that good full syn was safe to 300+.
I posted my Amsoil 5W40 UOA results after 7K miles of mixed use and many times of oil temps 240-270 while she was still probably breaking in....(Odo 3,000-10,000) and it was still suitable for use. I'll be going 10K this time.
Sponsored

rchandler341

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
If you look to my post earlier in the thrad, that's what I did. I'm running the filter cap, earlier filter and added an inline oil cooler. Working great.
Also, the 2nd and 3rd gen filter material is the same. They made is simpler to install for lube techs @ dealers with the 3rd gen due to the 1 piece design. There's no TSB that I can find.
Here are (2)two TSB's. There is a rather lengthy one going to the dealerships when there was a shortage of the new style filters. Telling them DO NOT USE A GEN 2 FILTER ON A GEN 3 ENGINE. I will keep looking for it.

I did not dare use the GEN 2 filter with the kit. Until I can find out if the bypass still works correctly.

Further Reading: https://www.ecogard.com/overview-al...iat-chrysler-3rd-generation-ecodiesel-engine/

Attachments

ajkaz

First Name
Arun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD
I was at the dealer for a test drive and lifted the hood on a new JL 392, the hood vent is large and active with intricate duct work that delivers air to the engine intake. That hood was extremely heavy! Wondering if we could use that hood on the JTRD with a underhood mounted oil cooler right where the air comes in, directed through the cooler?
-Also could mount and plumb an auxiliary cooler.
-Could we 3d print active vents to replace the Rubicon fake vents? We could print ducting if there is space for it.
-How much room is there between the hood and engine cover with the hood shut?

I haven't taken delivery of my truck yet, so its hard for me to figure some of the clearances out.

Deleted member 22728

Yes, that hood is EXCEPTIONALLY HEAVY...thus the "prop rod as a third hand" technique will produce an unsatisfactory result. In any case, the last 392 I built had my brain-case juices flowing...as to a cooling retro for the EcoD.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
There was a company that made air to oil oil coolers for the 2 gen Eco in the Ram 1500. It replaces the water to oil oil cooler. I'm wondering if the 2gen Eco oil cooler is the same the 3gen Eco. If so, it's simple solution. Mount a 34 row Setrab cooler in front of the radiator. Run some -10 stainless hoses back to the cooler. Put a thermostatic bypass in the hoses to make sure that only hot oil goes to the cooler.

https://noecodelete.com/shop/

I have this set-up on my trackday car to keep the oil temps down. When temps get to 240F. The ECU starts to pull timing. At 270F, the car goes into limp mode. Stays there until oil temps comes back down. From what I read here on the forum. Sounds like the ECU on the Eco does something along the same lines.

Sponsored

ArmyMP

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Diesel Gladiator Rubicon "Betsy"
Occupation
Veteran
Easiest way to do it and remove the engineered choke point would be to move the cooling system from the engine bay out.

Did this on a few big pull diesels. Build a bumper to house the cooling system.

It wouldn't be ideal for 4x4 but it would work wonders for towing.

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe

Deleted member 22728

Would this new hood vent help with air flow and cooling on the eco? I'm not worried about the water intrusion based off what the original poster documented, particularly since I avoid water crossings deeper than 12".

(1) Highly recommend hood cutout. | Jeep Gladiator Forum - JeepGladiatorForum.com

Jeep Gladiator Diesel cooling options and ideas 1642471697180
I cannot speak to the mojave hood; the 392 hood, however, which is similar, is designed for ram-air induction, with the remainder ducted past the engine, via the firewall.

ajkaz

First Name
Arun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD
So I’m definitely going to get the insanediesel filter system. Seeing reports of heavy metals and oil not being suitable for use up to the 10k mile recommended service intervals. It also Seems to drop oil temps 7-10 *F as well.

Im also thinking of adding this fan assisted cooler inline with a thermostat kicking on the fans at 180*F, thoughts? Anywhere I could fit this on the sides or back side of the engine bay?

https://derale.com/product-footer/fluid-coolers/engine/remote-mount/13740-detail

Is this overkill? I live in SoCal and frequent hot deserts and large hills climbs on and off road.

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
-Could we 3d print active vents to replace the Rubicon fake vents? We could print ducting if there is space for it.
my thought was to cut out the bottom of the hood vents fully you get full grill access, and cut a 3" wide by like 18" opening into the center of the insulation in the middle of the hood.

My thinking, was any water that runs though the vents will dump on the insulation and run off to the side, and any heat in the bay will rise up and get pulled out the gap between the insulation and the hood through the now open vents.

there seems to be enough gaps and channels on the underside of the hood to allow air to flow while insulation is in place.
Jeep Gladiator Diesel cooling options and ideas IMG_20210627_141616
Jeep Gladiator Diesel cooling options and ideas IMG_20210627_141607
Jeep Gladiator Diesel cooling options and ideas IMG_20210627_140831
Jeep Gladiator Diesel cooling options and ideas IMG_20210627_140818
Jeep Gladiator Diesel cooling options and ideas IMG_20210627_140813

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...rating-as-temps-rise.45447/page-2#post-739384

Last edited:

Sponsored

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
So I’m definitely going to get the insanediesel filter system. Seeing reports of heavy metals and oil not being suitable for use up to the 10k mile recommended service intervals. It also Seems to drop oil temps 7-10 *F as well.

Im also thinking of adding this fan assisted cooler inline with a thermostat kicking on the fans at 180*F, thoughts? Anywhere I could fit this on the sides or back side of the engine bay?

https://derale.com/product-footer/fluid-coolers/engine/remote-mount/13740-detail

Is this overkill? I live in SoCal and frequent hot deserts and large hills climbs on and off road.
Just looked at the Insane kit. Looks promising. Don't think you the fan set-up Just a 34 row oil cooler mounted in front of the radiator.

Last edited:

ajkaz

First Name
Arun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD
How are you going to tap into the oiling system? You can't use a standard screw on filter plate.
With the kit they have an option for a T fitting at the oil pressure switch. I spoke with them on the phone, the system is pretty dialed in and they were very open to modifying the tubing in the kit match the inlet and outlet of the cooler I buy, which I think are -8AN fittings.

They have hundreds of kits out in the Ram 1500's already.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
With the kit they have an option for a T fitting at the oil pressure switch. I spoke with them on the phone, the system is pretty dialed in and they were very open to modifying the tubing in the kit match the inlet and outlet of the cooler I buy, which I think are -8AN fittings.

They have hundreds of kits out in the Ram 1500's already.
I changed my post after I looked at their website.

ajkaz

First Name
Arun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD
I changed my post after I looked at their website.
I am trying to avoid putting anything else in front of the radiator, may downgrade the remote oil cooler fan to a smaller unit, but would like it in the lower rear of the engine bay.

What would be the optimal temp for the fans to kick on? Looking for a higher inline thermostat than 180, maybe 220?

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
I am trying to avoid putting anything else in front of the radiator, may downgrade the remote oil cooler fan to a smaller unit, but would like it in the lower rear of the engine bay.

What would be the optimal temp for the fans to kick on? Looking for a higher inline thermostat than 180, maybe 220?
What would be the point of this way overkill cooler setup when you are only supplying a few gals per hour through it? Not enough heat transfer to justify?
Sponsored