Sponsored

diesel engine noise

Sting-Gray Neutral Pres.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport Diesel
Idle curiosity question. At low throttle like in a neighborhood (or stopped) the gen 3 ecodiesel makes a pretty good injector pop racket, kind of like a Powerstroke. Roll on just enough additional throttle and the racket really dies down to almost nothing and the engine is really quiet. Step on it and it's loud again. Any ideas on what's going on there mechanically or acoustically? Other diesels I've driven haven't really done that.
Sponsored

A 2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2020 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Construction
Hard to say without hearing. I know my diesel makes all kinds of noises.

NextStep9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Overland Diesel
I just took delivery of my new, 2022 diesel Gladiator and I'm concerned about what seems to be an unusual whistling or "tappet" noise when accelerating. It's quite noticeable. This seems independent of the unique diesel growl or clatter, for lack of better descriptive words, and not related to the turbo spooling. The noise is always present but quite noticeable during acceleration. Any thoughts?

OP
OP
Sting-Gray Neutral Pres.

Sting-Gray Neutral Pres.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think of whistling and tappet noises as very different...by tappet do you mean lifter tick? The injector pop I described last July sounds similar to lifter tick. Post a video if you're concerned about it though.

FWIW, mine did quiet down a bit more after maybe 10k miles. It's still the loudest application of the loudest modern diesel out there though; I parked next to a brand new Mercedes sprinter 3.0 diesel that was left running this morning and it was night and day difference in ambient noise.

NextStep9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Overland Diesel
I was recently told by two Jeep mechanics, one of whom I've known for nearly thirty years, that the sound I previously described as "whistling" or "tappet," is the sound of the electric fuel injectors. Actually, it's more of a clicking sound that gets louder and faster as I accelerate. Apparently, the fuel injectors are located near the back of the diesel engine and close to the firewall, which offers minimal insulation from the sound of the engine. I find it very annoying and distracting.

Sponsored

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
I was recently told by two Jeep mechanics, one of whom I've known for nearly thirty years, that the sound I previously described as "whistling" or "tappet," is the sound of the electric fuel injectors. Actually, it's more of a clicking sound that gets louder and faster as I accelerate. Apparently, the fuel injectors are located near the back of the diesel engine and close to the firewall, which offers minimal insulation from the sound of the engine. I find it very annoying and distracting.
Is this your first diesel?

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
and to think the new diesels are quiet compared to say a 1995 Cummins in a dodge 2500. Those sound like old farm tractors or construction equipment.

OP
OP
Sting-Gray Neutral Pres.

Sting-Gray Neutral Pres.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice to hear a Jeep mechanic essentially confirming what I presumed the noise was in my OP last July.
I maintain that this is the loudest 3.0 liter 6cyl diesel currently sold and it is louder in the gladiator/wrangler application than in the Ram. It's a great engine in many ways, but decibel level and sound quality aren't among them.
The 6.5L GM V8 diesel with a single 5" exhaust tip I had before was the opposite: not a great engine but the burble was the business.

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
Nice to hear a Jeep mechanic essentially confirming what I presumed the noise was in my OP last July.
I maintain that this is the loudest 3.0 liter 6cyl diesel currently sold and it is louder in the gladiator/wrangler application than in the Ram. It's a great engine in many ways, but decibel level and sound quality aren't among them.
The 6.5L GM V8 diesel with a single 5" exhaust tip I had before was the opposite: not a great engine but the burble was the business.
A coworker had the duramax 3.0L and you can’t even tell it’s running he gets out all the time and it honks because it’s still idling.
My ecodiesel is a rattle box comparatively. That said it’s very quiet for a diesel and I’m happy with it.

Sponsored

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
The ferb f250 company truck we had was nick named the "Rattle Can" by my co-workers. Sounded like it was going to throw a rod at any time. It was like that when we first got it in 2003. I retired in 2016, it was still running. They still have it now.

Chance575

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C
Occupation
D
I remember the first gmc duramax that showed up at the shop I was working at. We didn’t believe it was a diesel after all the power strokes and Cummins we had worked on. Damm Cummins would shake apart a stainless steel brush guard with locktite on the bolts
Sponsored