First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
Occupation
Heavy Haul Truck Driver
I wish I could've only paid $4000. They made me pay an extra $2000 for the transmission that goes with it.
The automatic transmission is a $2000 option behind either the 3.0 or 3.6. So no real additional cost.
Sponsored

pmpmstrb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD, JLUWD
The automatic transmission is a $2000 option behind either the 3.0 or 3.6. So no real additional cost.
It's not an option when going with the 3.0. They will not allow you to get a manual with the ED.

just_another_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
It really sucks that they have implemented the diesel option so poorly because I really want to have the diesel, just not in it's current form. You can definitely feel the weight behind my max tow, but at least I know it will always get me to our destination without any drama.

Otisday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland Diesel
Occupation
VP
Saw this on the JL forums:

https://media.stellantisnorthamerica.com/newsrelease.do?id=24327&mid=52

I'm extremely surprised they would carry the diesel on in the JT with it going away in the JL. The only thing I can imagine is that they wanted to have at least one additional engine option for the JT and the take rate maybe better with diesel being a more natural fit with the truck crowd vs. suv crowd.

So I guess we aren't quite as much of unicorns, but as others have posted this will help ensure parts and support are available for a much longer period of time.

Here's the quote from the news release:

The Jeep Gladiator will continue to offer the 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V-6 in addition to the standard 3.6-liter V-6.
I read another artical that the diesel is staying in the Gladiator be cause they have no intention of making an EV model.

Sponsored

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
I read another artical that the diesel is staying in the Gladiator be cause they have no intention of making an EV model.
This. Also proves they are struggling to make a 4xe hybrid JT work as well-

mojodcat

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTM
Occupation
IT Wizard
I understand the torque argument for Diesel over gas, but have never understood the "mileage" arguement, but maybe that's because I don't compare MPG to MPG but rather cents/mile or $ per 100 miles.. which give EPA ratings and average fuel costs at the moment are roughly:

Cost per 100 Miles
3.6L $4.80 3.0L $5.17

Snake Eyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S Max Tow, 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
popcorn please…

941F0CD5-FBEB-4B8C-9A58-09E0E296E047.gif

krweatherl

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
Occupation
Heavy Haul Truck Driver
I understand the torque argument for Diesel over gas, but have never understood the "mileage" arguement, but maybe that's because I don't compare MPG to MPG but rather cents/mile or $ per 100 miles.. which give EPA ratings and average fuel costs at the moment are roughly:

Cost per 100 Miles
3.6L $4.80 3.0L $5.17
Here’s a fuel cost chart I made to compare my real world experience with my 2020 JTR 3.6 and my 2022 JTRD 3.0. Both on 37s. Even stock my JTR never saw epa mpg.
Annual Miles10,00010,000
MPG1320
Gallons769.23500
Fuel Price$ 5.599$ 5.899
Total Fuel $$4,306.92$2,949.5
Cost per 100 miles $43.07$29.50

Last edited:

Sponsored

graham5david

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Diesel Rubicon
Occupation
RN
For me the mpg gain isn't about cost savings or the higher cost of diesel. You will get a lower cost per mile with the diesel but the real benefit is a longer range. I don't like to stop and fill up when traveling.

just_another_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Here in the Midwest diesel is 25% more expensive than gas right now, so the fuel cost is a wash between the two. I want to have a good reason to try the diesel, but can't really come up with much aside from the extra torque :/

Wageslave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 GC Overland, '21 Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
I always find it funny how everybody talks about the smiles per mile and how if you were worried about how efficient and practical a Jeep is, you shouldn't be driving a Jeep. Same thing with the 392 Jeeps and the 5.7 swapped Jeeps. But once the EcoDiesel is mentioned, everybody turns into an Economics Professor and shouts at the nearest cloud about how diesel costs 50 cents more per gallon or how you have to spend 30 bucks every once in a while on DEF, or how the maintenance is more expensive. WHO CARES!

I like torque and the funny sound it makes, and I was willing to pay the extra $6000 for it.

Divided_Wood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Rubicon EcoDiesel
I always find it funny how everybody talks about the smiles per mile and how if you were worried about how efficient and practical a Jeep is, you shouldn't be driving a Jeep. Same thing with the 392 Jeeps and the 5.7 swapped Jeeps. But once the EcoDiesel is mentioned, everybody turns into an Economics Professor and shouts at the nearest cloud about how diesel costs 50 cents more per gallon or how you have to spend 30 bucks every once in a while on DEF, or how the maintenance is more expensive. WHO CARES!

I like torque and the funny sound it makes, and I was willing to pay the extra $6000 for it.
Lol, what a perfect summary. Couldn’t be more correct.