First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L; 2021 JTR EcoDiesel
Build Thread
Link
Just thinking out loud… we all know that gearing multiplies torque, right?

Well how much rear wheel torque does the 3.6L Pentastar make, and how much does the 3.0L diesel make, both in 6th gear (I believe 6th gear is 1:1 for both automatic transmissions).

I’m curious how close the 3.6L comes to the diesel with the higher axle ratios (4:10 vs 3:83 I think).
Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
I guess there is some confusion out there… Manual option was never offered with diesel for the North American market. 8HP75 automatic is the sole transmission for the 3.0 power plant.
We all know that. But a lot of us manual guys are gear heads too, just like the diesel guys. So the thought comes up, because a lot of folks with MTs would get diesels with a manual, and the associated cost savings. Right now, we choose one or the other. That's it. Don't read more into it. Most of the manual guys like diesels too. But we had to pick one or the other. it just comes up together often because we're all kind of outcasts. A lot of us are just daydreaming, wishing we could get both options together (with a clutch to handle it, of course). It's more of a showing of support for the diesel.

Last edited:

UTRZRDOG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon Ecodiesel
Occupation
Self Employed
So happy to hear that it is staying!! Sure wish all of you diesel haters would just stop knocking the diesels. Over 20K miles on mine and would buy another one in a heart beat. I pull a 21 foot boat along with SXS's and have never had a problem and live where I pull from 5500 to 9500 (elevation) to get to the lake or our favorite ATV trail. 37" tires on a 2 inch lift and at 65-70 mph, 25 to 28 mpg all day long unless I am stop and go and then 21-22 mpg. I have no reason to lie or nothing to prove so believe it or not, it does not matter, these are real life numbers. If and when they say they are getting rid of the diesel I will buy another one in that this is the funnest thing I have ever owned out of 12 new trucks over the last 25 years from Chevy, Ford and Toyota. Also the most economical truck to drive that I have owned.

Trout Safari

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
Very pleased to hear it is staying for a while. I wanted to buy a second one and was hoping to order a 2024 later next year. Looks like that will be an option..

Sponsored

Teqsand

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD & 22 JTRD
Occupation
Bum
There is a company in Clearwater Florida doing 5.3, LS3 or 6.6 swaps. Full swap, everything works. I have a build 5.3 in my PPV that I built......if I could have that 400hp/400ftlbs (wheel) on E85 in my soon to be JTM....... I'd be happier then a pig in shit.

Lighter then a Hemi, easier maintenance and reliability...... winning in a Charlie Sheen manner
No chance I'm putting a chevy engine in my MOPAR.... like putting a pretty dress on Bruce jenner,

Teqsand

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD & 22 JTRD
Occupation
Bum
So if the 6.4 is staying in the JL, tjen there is still a chance for a Hemi JT

Teqsand

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD & 22 JTRD
Occupation
Bum
I'm not going to lie. I was pissed when I put my diesel in the shop at 30k because the damn reluctor wheel failed sending it in to limp mode.
3.6 pentastar doesn't have one? Pretty sure it does

graham5david

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Diesel Rubicon
Occupation
RN
3.6 pentastar doesn't have one? Pretty sure it does
It does. But it's a common failure point on the 3.0. Instead of a recall they only replace the ones that fail with the upgraded part

Sponsored

Teqsand

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD & 22 JTRD
Occupation
Bum
It does. But it's a common failure point on the 3.0. Instead of a recall they only replace the ones that fail with the upgraded part
Would have been better had they used a better diesel to begin with.... but then it always was about Cafe not reluability..reliability...

I currently have a 21 JLURD and just sold back my 22 JTRD (cp4 pump failed) but have a 23 JTRD on order.. that said, I equite the eco diesel to the old qualifying engines we used use in nascar, they worked well but were built within a hair of self destructing to do that work,

willhonkforparts

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD & 2008 JKUR
Occupation
Self-loathing
Because the diesel engine weighs more, no other reason.... I'd bet on the diesel power of the aenemic gas anyday
Yeah, I know. Weight and heat. Keep reading, you'll find my other post in this thread about Ram ED tow ratings.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Was thinking (I know, bad on my part). The reason Ram dropped the Ecodiesel from the 1500 is that it will be offered in the new Dakota coming out. They don't want to compete against themselves.

22EcoDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22jtsD , 06XK, 21KL - Retired(97ZJ,15JKU, 00WJ,)
Was thinking (I know, bad on my part). The reason Ram dropped the Ecodiesel from the 1500 is that it will be offered in the new Dakota coming out. They don't want to compete against themselves.
What's the incentive for them to support it in the new platform and not the ram
Sponsored