www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
What's the incentive for them to support it in the new platform and not the ram
The 1500 has more room for the turbo 6 plus an EV powertrain. The Dakota is going to be based off of the Gladiator mostly. We already know what's in the Gladiator.
Sponsored

22EcoDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22jtsD , 06XK, 21KL - Retired(97ZJ,15JKU, 00WJ,)
The 1500 has more room for the turbo 6 plus an EV powertrain. The Dakota is going to be based off of the Gladiator mostly. We already know what's in the Gladiator.
Interesting , I presume it will be ifs ?

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Interesting , I presume it will be ifs ?
From what I read. Yes on the IFS. I was hoping for a SFA, and they offered a Power Wagon version. But there might be a TRX model.

just_another_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Just reading through this thread with the usual suspects, 0 personal real world experience with the diesel acting like it is a useless turd. Glad some things never change.
So here's a quote from someone with real-world experience who says the diesel can't tow in the heat and wouldn't be safe to drive. Spoiler alert, it's you:

Its the diesel derating issue that concerns me in the heat. This past weekend was the start of camping season for us in the desert. On the way up to cooler campgrounds I saw oil temps up to 245 on the steeper inclines. If I was towing anything I would have needed to slow way down and I don’t feel safe doing 55-60 when others zoom past at 90+ on the stretches of Utah highway with 80mph speed limits.

Sponsored

Almost

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD & 09 JKU
Just thinking out loud… we all know that gearing multiplies torque, right?

Well how much rear wheel torque does the 3.6L Pentastar make, and how much does the 3.0L diesel make, both in 6th gear (I believe 6th gear is 1:1 for both automatic transmissions).

I’m curious how close the 3.6L comes to the diesel with the higher axle ratios (4:10 vs 3:83 I think).
A 3.6 in 6th would theoretically be putting down 1,066 tq with 4.10s vs the Ecodiesels' 1,648 tq with 3.73s. It's not even close, but that doesn't even tell the whole story because the diesel is doing it from 1400 to 2800 Rpms vs 2500 - 4800 for the gasser. Although the gas motor does have a reletively flat tq curve which is good, it just comes up short where you do 90% of your driving below 2500 rpms.

Almost

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD & 09 JKU
Well, the Gladiator is a tweaked 1500 frame so if that turns out to be indeed the case there is very little R&D involved. It will just be a reskinned Gladiator and the motor/frame are a direct carry over.

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Retired Military
Because overheating is what the diesel guys paid an extre $4000 USD for. LOL, love where your head is at...... spitting facts
Ummm NO..... heating/overheating never entered my mind when purchasing the diesel..... I just wanted a damn diesel, so I payed for it.... like everything else you want... you have to pay. After thinking about it, I did consider heating... but only in connection with my seats/steering wheel.... gotta have heated seats, so I payed for that too.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
No way in hell I'd want to tow 7700lbs with a 285ftlb V6. Pass that crack, because it's wack.
I towed 5200lbs with my Max Tow for about 70 miles one way and it did great. I kept it under 65 mph or less and mostly back roads but it did fine. I was surprised honestly. I've did 2 times now hauling rock and I'd have no problem putting more than that behind it.

Sponsored

LOGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon
I towed 5200lbs with my Max Tow for about 70 miles one way and it did great. I kept it under 65 mph or less and mostly back roads but it did fine. I was surprised honestly. I've did 2 times now hauling rock and I'd have no problem putting more than that behind it.
Aw that's cute lol. My JTRD on Heavy 38s just towed more than that from Northern MN to the southern tip of TX averaging 70-75 mph all interstate.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Aw that's cute lol. My JTRD on Heavy 38s just towed more than that from Northern MN to the southern tip of TX averaging 70-75 mph all interstate.
I'm on 37's just sayin, I could of towed more easily. Not saying it compares to your diesel but we got more towing capacity legally than you do. 6500 for a diesel and 7650 for a 3.6 max tow, I'm no engineer but I'm sure the engineers working on these jeeps no more about them than we do.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
A JT lifted enough to clear 38’s.
-6,000# vehicle pulling 6K.
Traveling at 75 mph.
Talk about “Livin’ on the Edge” 😁

LOGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon
A JT lifted enough to clear 38’s.
-6,000# vehicle pulling 6K.
Traveling at 75 mph.
Talk about “Livin’ on the Edge” 😁
With the WD hitch, it really wasn't an issue at all. She got a little hot, especially once I hit Dallas and just wanted to get there and couldn't keep my foot of the go pedal but never derated.

3A1B9F29-B742-4F9D-917B-FEE80EF7E5C6.jpeg

Sandevino

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
First post so bear with me here…

I‘ve owned two Gladiators in the past 6 months - bought a Texas Trail (Sport S) gas in February and sold it in September. I picked up an Overland EcoDiesel in September and swapped tires, bumpers, etc to make it NOT look and act like an Overland with the skinny street tires and plastic bumpers.

For completeness sake, I had a Ram 1500 EcoDiesel prior to the original Gladiator and came to love the engine / transmission combination as it was ALWAYS in the right rear and mileage was great averaging 23.5 mpg combined. I sold the Ram as the used market was red hot and I made money on it. I picked up the Gladiator as I always wanted one.

The gas engine is a great engine but it has its gremlins. The P0300 code and I became a bit too friendly with each other. The inability to make sufficient vacuum requiring an electric vacuum pump was also a head scratcher. I occasionally tow a dual axle trailer (think U-haul utility) when I pick up wood from the saw mill weighing 2500 - 3000 pounds total. Occasionally I go off-road to hunt, fish or camp. I’m no rock crawler and don’t have the desire to send it as I’m old and cheap. Overall, the engine was underwhelming at best towing my trailer. Going up moderate hills on a freeway overpass warranted a downshift to 6th or 5th depending at 55-65mph. It was never happy with the gear it was in but kept trying others hoping to find some happiness. Gas mileage was just as abhorrent as the shifting averaging 12mph towing and 15mpg otherwise. Granted it’s no tow rig and a rolling brick so my expectations weren’t abnormally high, but damn.

At 6500 miles, I went in for an oil change. It happened to be a Friday and the last day of the month. While I’m waiting, my salesman walks by, we say hi, and he says there’s something I have to see. He shows me a Sarge Green Overland EcoDiesel they’ve had for a few weeks, tosses me the keys and says to take it for a spin. Instantly, I’m a kid in a candy store hearing the diesel come to life, feeling the torque and seeing the fuel mileage lie-o-meter in the 40+ mpg range at 55 on the highway. Long story short, I sold them mine, bought theirs at $9k off with 0% for 72 months.

Doing the same things I did in the gas variant, I’m averaging 23mpg towing the same trailer and taking the same routes to the store, gym, stadium, etc. The 3.0 / 8HP75 combination is perfect. No hunting, dropping 3 gears to maintain torque and it motors up the same hills at 55mph in 8th not giving a damn.

Long live the EcoDiesel….
Sponsored