First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Diesel Rubicon
Occupation
RN
It's a smart move. 3.0 is amazing in the gladiator. Plus the rest of the world purchases diesel 70 series land cruisers. This is the only option that competes with the 70 series. I'm a land cruiser guy and always have been but toyota won't bring the 70 series to the U.S. So this is the the closest option for guys in the states that have wanted a 70 series. If toyota brought it over now they wouldn't pull many buyers. The gladiator is a great truck. Jeep has the truck market with solid axles locked up in the states.
Sponsored

graham5david

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RN
Because overheating is what the diesel guys paid an extre $4000 USD for. LOL, love where your head is at...... spitting facts
The over heating is only concerning when on steep grades if you are going 70 plus. Slow down to 65 and the needle doesn't move. I would rather have the mileage of the diesel and the torque to pull like a half ton even if I have to slow down on occasion. I have towed with a 3.5 tacoma and you can do 65 with it wrapped out in 4th gear. It still tows but it's annoying as hell. With a radiator upgrade the heat won't be an issue. Once warranty is up I will be putting in a aftermarket radiator. Plus you get a 8 year 100000 mile power train warranty with the diesel. That's what you pay for.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
Great til you tow with it in the summer heat.....then it's a hot pile of useless shit. Insufficient cooling; engine bay and forward facing grill assembly area is to small for ample cooling.

For a daily driver with no trailer or heavy load.....it's good..... otherwise you're rolling the dice for failure and disappointment

graham5david

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RN
Great til you tow with it in the summer heat.....then it's a hot pile of useless shit. Insufficient cooling; engine bay and forward facing grill assembly area is to small for ample cooling.

For a daily driver with no trailer or heavy load.....it's good..... otherwise you're rolling the dice for failure and disappointment
I pulled my yamaha boat all summer with no issues. Just slow down a little on steep long grades. My boat is 3500 pound dry. Well over 4k with fuel and gear. Plus a family of 4. I also think the 3.6 would do it just fine. But the diesel torque is addictive.

Sponsored

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The over heating is only concerning when on steep grades if you are going 70 plus. Slow down to 65 and the needle doesn't move. I would rather have the mileage of the diesel and the torque to pull like a half ton even if I have to slow down on occasion. I have towed with a 3.5 tacoma and you can do 65 with it wrapped out in 4th gear. It still tows but it's annoying as hell. With a radiator upgrade the heat won't be an issue. Once warranty is up I will be putting in a aftermarket radiator. Plus you get a 8 year 100000 mile power train warranty with the diesel. That's what you pay for.
But I'm not going to pay extra money for conditional use.....so I didn't.

I'll LS swap mine and have more towing, zero issues.......and reliability out the ass. Aluminum block, heads and so on.

graham5david

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RN
But I'm not going to pay extra money for conditional use.....so I didn't.

I'll LS swap mine and have more towing, zero issues.......and reliability out the ass. Aluminum block, heads and so on.
I wish they would offer it with a 5.7. I would jump on that in a heartbeat. These trucks a great with both engine options. But the 5.7 makes sense to me. A 5.3 ls would be perfect though.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
I hope. I'd love to overheat faster.
Mind has never overheated. I've gone up both the Eisenhower and Vail passes on I70 and the Wolf Creek pass in Colorado on hot 90+ days.

pmpmstrb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD, JLUWD
Mind has never overheated. I've gone up both the Eisenhower and Vail passes on I70 and the Wolf Creek pass in Colorado on hot 90+ days.
Technically mine hasn't overheated either. My wife's JLU on the otherhand.

willhonkforparts

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD & 2008 JKUR
Occupation
Self-loathing
Ah, facts vs. guessing or opinion.

And yet people here have hauled that much and more without issues with the gas engine. Diesel people, though, believe their choice is god, they are right and all others are wrong. It shows in every thread where the diesel gets compared to the gas engine.
Tell me you drive a gasser without telling me you drive a gasser lol

I've never driven a 3.6 JT while towing 6k, but I've driven them empty. Nice engine but simply not meant for towing a heavy load despite the ludicrous max numbers. Diesel > gas when towing heavy. It's not even opinion it's been proven by millions of real world miles all over the world.

Also, your "And yet people here have hauled that much and more without issues with the gas engine" is just as much guessing and opinion as my comments. Sure, there were no issues, but it doesn't mean it was more comfortable, effortless, or efficient as the diesel would have been.

We all know the diesel JT has lower max tow ratings because of heat and weight, not capability. In a 2021 Ram 1500, the same two engines, with identical 3.21 gears receive a max tow ratings of 6720# for the 3.6 and 8380# for the ED. Weird eh? Somehow, the 3.6 has a higher rating in a smaller truck (I'll just go ahead speculate about the hubris in the midsized truck segment). In that same 21 Ram with the max tow package, the ED is rated at 12,560# (!). No max tow available with the 3.6 for a direct comparison, sadly.

I reiterate, diesel > gas when towing a heavy load (actually, other than trying to go fast really quickly, diesel > gas)

Sponsored

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I wish they would offer it with a 5.7. I would jump on that in a heartbeat. These trucks a great with both engine options. But the 5.7 makes sense to me. A 5.3 ls would be perfect though.
There is a company in Clearwater Florida doing 5.3, LS3 or 6.6 swaps. Full swap, everything works. I have a build 5.3 in my PPV that I built......if I could have that 400hp/400ftlbs (wheel) on E85 in my soon to be JTM....... I'd be happier then a pig in shit.

Lighter then a Hemi, easier maintenance and reliability...... winning in a Charlie Sheen manner

willhonkforparts

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD & 2008 JKUR
Occupation
Self-loathing
There is a company in Clearwater Florida doing 5.3, LS3 or 6.6 swaps. Full swap, everything works. I have a build 5.3 in my PPV that I built......if I could have that 400hp/400ftlbs (wheel) on E85 in my soon to be JTM....... I'd be happier then a pig in shit.

Lighter then a Hemi, easier maintenance and reliability...... winning in a Charlie Sheen manner
Extra points for WINNING

graham5david

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RN
I'm not going to lie. I was pissed when I put my diesel in the shop at 30k because the damn reluctor wheel failed sending it in to limp mode. But luckily I have a top notch dealer that got it in the next day and had it fixed in a week. New reluctor wheel and crank position sensor and good as new. I was close to trading it in for a gasser. I drove a gasser for that week. It was a great truck but my dealer made the bad experience good. Yes I wish I could tow up steep grades without keeping one eye on on the temp Guage. But I don't really tow over 70 anyway with a midsized truck so it's never been a problem for me.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I'm not going to lie. I was pissed when I put my diesel in the shop at 30k because the damn reluctor wheel failed sending it in to limp mode. But luckily I have a top notch dealer that got it in the next day and had it fixed in a week. New reluctor wheel and crank position sensor and good as new. I was close to trading it in for a gasser. I drove a gasser for that week. It was a great truck but my dealer made the bad experience good. Yes I wish I could tow up steep grades without keeping one eye on on the temp Guage. But I don't really tow over 70 anyway with a midsized truck so it's never been a problem for me.
Rad man......nothing better then a happy ending......shit I gotta get my mind out of the gutter.....NOT lol
Sponsored