First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
Occupation
Heavy Haul Truck Driver
Diesel here is $4.49. Morgantown WV is $4.39. If I'm down that way. I will fill up there.
And thought I was doing good when I paid $4.99 at Costco last weekend.
Sponsored

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
$8000???

My Window Sticker shows $4010 for the 3.0 and $2000 for the 8sp automatic which is exactly what the 8sp automatic cost me on my 2020 JTR 3.6. Since I’m not interested in buying a manual it seems to be only a $4010 difference for me. I’d gladly pay that for the power difference even if it didn’t pay for itself in fuel savings. The only way to get this kind of power out of the 3.6 is going to cost more than $4010.
Plus you have to add sport s instead of sport package to get all of that. IIRC it rounds out close to 8k. Ill have to look at my window sticker again.

fourfa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD + ACCC
Build Thread
Link
$8000???

My Window Sticker shows $4010 for the 3.0 and $2000 for the 8sp automatic which is exactly what the 8sp automatic cost me on my 2020 JTR 3.6. Since I’m not interested in buying a manual it seems to be only a $4010 difference for me. I’d gladly pay that for the power difference even if it didn’t pay for itself in fuel savings. The only way to get this kind of power out of the 3.6 is going to cost more than $4010.
I’m also confused why anyone is talking about the MSRP as a relevant price. If you paid MSRP, I feel bad for you, but you got took. Invoice for the diesel alone is $3609. Lots of us here are paying 6-8% less than that. $3341 engine option vs $4010 vs lol $8000….One might start to think that some people here have an axe to grind.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Diesel here is $4.49. Morgantown WV is $4.39. If I'm down that way. I will fill up there.
Interesting. You and I are even in the same state! I'm in south central PA, near Gettysburg pa or Hagerstown MD

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
I’m also confused why anyone is talking about the MSRP as a relevant price. If you paid MSRP, I feel bad for you, but you got took. Invoice for the diesel alone is $3609. Lots of us here are paying 6-8% less than that. $3341 engine option vs $4010 vs lol $8000….One might start to think that some people here have an axe to grind.
I know you get an lsd with the trans for free, but lsd isn't an option on a Rubicon anyway, and mine is stick, so that price difference of $6k (not 8k) was very accurate for me . I have no hate for diesel, though. Don't take it that way. For someone who's set on an auto anyway, the difference is only 4k. And if they were getting the lsd too, the difference is 3400. But I have neither of those options, so for me, the Diesel was a full $6k more. Still, no hate. We all have our own priorities. I'm not a diesel hater. I want a diesel with a good clutch in it.

It's kind of like power windows and locks on these things. There are still plenty of jeepers rolling around with roll up windows, and don't want to pay for the power ones. But some of those same folks will happily use those savings to jump into a diesel, if that's what they really want. Different strokes/different folks and all. I'd die for a new diesel truck with a stick though. That ship sailed when they stopped making the Cummins Ram with them, though. Extremely low take rate.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Divided_Wood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Rubicon EcoDiesel
I’m curious how you’re getting that mpg around town. I’ve had my 22 rubicon for about 2 weeks, and still running the stock tires, and I’m only averaging 20mpg around town. Is there a break in period where it gets better? I’m hoping so because I’m seeing a lot of people saying they’re getting 25mpg, and I’m not even close to that.
Fwiw I am usually closer to 20 than 25 (call it 21 most days) around town. Lots of stop lights on my commute which are the real killer. I do see close to 30 on the highway so I think a lot of the variability you see on the forums relates to just how many stoplights folks have when they say "around town."

krweatherl

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
Occupation
Heavy Haul Truck Driver
Plus you have to add sport s instead of sport package to get all of that. IIRC it rounds out close to 8k. Ill have to look at my window sticker again.
Ahh that’s the difference, I’m comparing apples to apples, both Rubicons in my case.

FloridaMan655321

First Name
Lieutenant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 1973 F-100 - both manual
Occupation
Lieutenant (not really)
I thought FCA said something about never pairing that engine with a manual because the 3.0 was a relatively long stroke engine, and lugging it would be real hard on it.
If they said this, I’d like some people in the field to confirm. I say this because we have had manuals with diesels from a VW golf to a semi truck. You should be able to make a manual for any engine. I don’t care if it requires a ‘granny’ gear, that is nothing new. They are probably saying this because they (and others) are all chasing that 1 mpg increase by doing stupid shit like making a manual not as ideal as it should be (see Gladiator for a great example).

FloridaMan655321

First Name
Lieutenant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 1973 F-100 - both manual
Occupation
Lieutenant (not really)
I am very much a #savethemanuals kinda guy, but I gotta admit, the 8HP75 in this thing is frigging mint. It really is a great auto transmission.
There is not one auto transmission that is better than a manual. And by ’better’, I don’t mean performance or better mpg or anything that can be put on a spreadsheet. I just mean manual > auto. I drive a 3 speed f100 regularly and I’d rather drive that every time vs the best auto ever made.
You’re either with save the manuals, or not ;)

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Interesting. You and I are even in the same state! I'm in south central PA, near Gettysburg pa or Hagerstown MD
35 miles straight south of the 'burgh. Where Rt40 crosses the Monongahela River. About 35 miles north of Morgantown WV. WV. normally has cheaper fuel prices.

Sponsored

willhonkforparts

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD & 2008 JKUR
Occupation
Self-loathing
There is not one auto transmission that is better than a manual. And by ’better’, I don’t mean performance or better mpg or anything that can be put on a spreadsheet. I just mean manual > auto. I drive a 3 speed f100 regularly and I’d rather drive that every time vs the best auto ever made.
You’re either with save the manuals, or not ;)
Ok chief.

WoolyKris

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Engineer
I guess there is some confusion out there… Manual option was never offered with diesel for the North American market. 8HP75 automatic is the sole transmission for the 3.0 power plant.

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
$8000???

You can also factor in the 100k powertrain warranty that is standard on the diesel.