Sponsored

Diesel Gladiator owners with upgraded gearing ONLY please...

aevgladitorrubi

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Med Sales
Vehicle Showcase
Not interested in opinions-- only interested in real life experience of diesel gladiator owners that have upgraded gearing.

Interested in MPG and performance feedback. What gear ratio did you upgrade to? Would you do it again? Did MPG go up or down?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

ArmyMP

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Diesel Gladiator Rubicon "Betsy"
Occupation
Veteran
You don't need to regear anything under 40" tires.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Not interested in opinions.
It's not an opinion, it's stated fact from the JL side on the diesels. 39 or 40 is the breakover point. 4:10 or 4:18 gearing at that point.

If you regear before those sizes, the gearing is too tall, MPG suffers, performance suffers.

There was diesel life before the JT got one and you'd do best to go learn from THOSE guys because they did all the leg work.

Vtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTOD
I'm running 4.10s on 37s. Rpm is a little over 2k at 80mph. Averaging 22.5 mpg. Tire+wheel weight 105lbs each. Imo the power band is perfect.

Also, the truck feels lighter and no more required full boost on takes off.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ArmyMP

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Diesel Gladiator Rubicon "Betsy"
Occupation
Veteran
It's not an opinion, it's stated fact from the JL side on the diesels. 39 or 40 is the breakover point. 4:10 or 4:18 gearing at that point.

If you regear before those sizes, the gearing is too tall, MPG suffers, performance suffers.

There was diesel life before the JT got one and you'd do best to go learn from THOSE guys because they did all the leg work.
I'm one of them. All I own is diesel. Been building pulling diesels for years. I bet OP would crop his pants at the thought of dual compounded turbos pushing 1400 horse.

Some people are just wet behind the ears.

OP will be looking at lifts and rims before regearing.

M390

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport Ecodiesel

Weird, found plenty of posts in JL forums about guys recommending regearing with diesels. Most donā€™t because of expense and the fact that the diesel does tolerate tire changes better than the 3.6. Hell, AEV recommends 4.56ā€™s for 37ā€˜s for their builds on Ecodiesels. The diesel ā€œtoleratesā€œ the changes in tire sizes better but running 3.73ā€˜s with 37ā€™s is less than ideal. Lot of it depends on what youā€™re doing. I tow a camper that pushes 5000-5250 lbs so Iā€™ll be trying 4.56ā€™s on 35ā€™s. I see lots of claims that he 3.0 makes peak torque at 1400-1500 rpms, actual dyno graphs show the number peaks over 2000 rpmā€¦
With 4.56s and 35ā€™s Iā€™ll be running barely over 2000 rpms at 70 mph.
3.73ā€™s and 31ā€™s had me at 1850. Sorry I donā€™t have real world experience as my gears and ARBā€™s have been purchased but not installed. Hope to remedy that very soon and Iā€™ll report back šŸ»

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
There are some good posts in this 3.0 sub thread about gearing and tire size and how to select the correct combination using a gear ratio calculator (aka math) and a dyno chart, RPM and speed to find the right combination for your needs.

Gladiator Overland

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubi Diesel. Toyota 4Runner

I disagree based on personal experience. I just saw issues from my gladiator seeking 6-7 gear during a 4 hour trip one way then another. Note: I was pulling a trailer with a couch one way and empty back. I do have an Alu-Cab Canopy Camper as well. There where strong winds. But there and back I saw 13mpg average and usually get upwards of 21-23mpg. This is with a tune from GDE that gives me an extra 45hp and 80ft lbs. Regearing would have solved this issue and allowed me to get 8th gear more often. I run 37ā€ tires.

That said, if you never load you teuck up and itā€™s just yourself. Then yeah you can get away without a regear. But as I have found. If you use it as designed then yes you should consider it. In the process of working out a regear in hopes to help bring back the power band.

Gladiator Overland

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
Weird, found plenty of posts in JL forums about guys recommending regearing with diesels. Most donā€™t because of expense and the fact that the diesel does tolerate tire changes better than the 3.6. Hell, AEV recommends 4.56ā€™s for 37ā€˜s for their builds on Ecodiesels. The diesel ā€œtoleratesā€œ the changes in tire sizes better but running 3.73ā€˜s with 37ā€™s is less than ideal. Lot of it depends on what youā€™re doing. I tow a camper that pushes 5000-5250 lbs so Iā€™ll be trying 4.56ā€™s on 35ā€™s. I see lots of claims that he 3.0 makes peak torque at 1400-1500 rpms, actual dyno graphs show the number peaks over 2000 rpmā€¦
With 4.56s and 35ā€™s Iā€™ll be running barely over 2000 rpms at 70 mph.
3.73ā€™s and 31ā€™s had me at 1850. Sorry I donā€™t have real world experience as my gears and ARBā€™s have been purchased but not installed. Hope to remedy that very soon and Iā€™ll report back šŸ»
It does make peak torque in that range but only on 6th gear. The torque is limited by the tune in lower gears. Only way to change this is with a tune. I have done this with Green Diesel Engineering and their is a noticeable difference.

Sponsored

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
The OP makes no mention of towing. The OP wants performance and better MPG per his words.
The OP makes no mention of whether they want to go to bigger tires.

Yet the OP only wants experience, not opinion.

Never mind those of us that have owned diesels in one form or another for the past 40 years, the OP just wants people to validate their choice without telling anyone why they've made this choice and what the parameters are.

I gave the OP the best option, go do the research where the platform has been around longest.

If you're towing consistently, then yes you probably want taller gears. If you have oversized tires, then yes you probably want taller gears. If you're just trying to boost MPG's and performance, then no, you don't want taller gears.

Waiting until one of the reputable companies come out with a tune SPECIFIC to the JT with the 3.0 would benefit all of you guys. From previous vehicles I have owned, factory fuel mapping on a diesel truck is at best, terrible.

Gladiator Overland

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
The OP makes no mention of towing. The OP wants performance and better MPG per his words.
The OP makes no mention of whether they want to go to bigger tires.

Yet the OP only wants experience, not opinion.

Never mind those of us that have owned diesels in one form or another for the past 40 years, the OP just wants people to validate their choice without telling anyone why they've made this choice and what the parameters are.

I gave the OP the best option, go do the research where the platform has been around longest.

If you're towing consistently, then yes you probably want taller gears. If you have oversized tires, then yes you probably want taller gears. If you're just trying to boost MPG's and performance, then no, you don't want taller gears.

Waiting until one of the reputable companies come out with a tune SPECIFIC to the JT with the 3.0 would benefit all of you guys. From previous vehicles I have owned, factory fuel mapping on a diesel truck is at best, terrible.
I am aware of the OP making no mention of towing. My point was that the vehicle was being loaded with a capacity of someone who uses the vehicle. Like carrying full camping gear, fuel and water as well as passengers would approximate the use of the vehicle. Also, towing would indeed have an effect and would be a point to make as these vehicles are touted for their best in class towing. Why not know the cause of it.

I could care less how long you have owned a diesel in past itā€™s irrelevant to the discussion.As the Jeep Gladiator in Diesel has only been available for two years. As far as opinion, hmm so personal experience using the Jeep Gladiator Diesel is opinion on wether the gearing is up to snuff? I disagree and am far from agreeing with that discussion. As far as your discussions did you regear or just stating your own opinion in options? Not digging just curious here.

That said my tune is very reputable from GDE. Still in my personal experience a laden vehicle suffers greatly due to the lack of the ability of the drivetrain to seek 8th gear even with a ā€œreputable tuneā€. Please sit back and enjoy other experiences, add them to your knowledge. But donā€™t belittle anotherā€™s experience over your own superior belief you are correct In every matter.Continue on otherwise if you believe that my experience with the Jeep Gladiator diesel lacking from proper gearing with a tire upgrade. No matter what others opinions as they havenā€™t truly used the vehicle as designed and found itā€™s shortcomings in this area.

Glad_he_ate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator Willie's ecodiesel
Occupation
Union electrician
Not interested in opinions-- only interested in real life experience of diesel gladiator owners that have upgraded gearing.

Interested in MPG and performance feedback. What gear ratio did you upgrade to? Would you do it again? Did MPG go up or down?

Thanks in advance!
Good luck with that first partā€¦.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Interesting thread, I donā€™t have a diesel but have had Dodge trucks in the past, couple things I would consider, this diesel is not like a diesel from 10 years ago, it revs way higher, 4500 or so as I recall, also if you can run 37ā€ tires with no penalty I would think Jeep would have installed the 3.45 ratio in the non Rubicon diesels with the 31ā€ tires, they are going for best economy after all.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
I am aware of the OP making no mention of towing. My point was that the vehicle was being loaded with a capacity of someone who uses the vehicle. Like carrying full camping gear, fuel and water as well as passengers would approximate the use of the vehicle. Also, towing would indeed have an effect and would be a point to make as these vehicles are touted for their best in class towing. Why not know the cause of it.

I could care less how long you have owned a diesel in past itā€™s irrelevant to the discussion.As the Jeep Gladiator in Diesel has only been available for two years. As far as opinion, hmm so personal experience using the Jeep Gladiator Diesel is opinion on wether the gearing is up to snuff? I disagree and am far from agreeing with that discussion. As far as your discussions did you regear or just stating your own opinion in options? Not digging just curious here.

That said my tune is very reputable from GDE. Still in my personal experience a laden vehicle suffers greatly due to the lack of the ability of the drivetrain to seek 8th gear even with a ā€œreputable tuneā€. Please sit back and enjoy other experiences, add them to your knowledge. But donā€™t belittle anotherā€™s experience over your own superior belief you are correct In every matter.Continue on otherwise if you believe that my experience with the Jeep Gladiator diesel lacking from proper gearing with a tire upgrade. No matter what others opinions as they havenā€™t truly used the vehicle as designed and found itā€™s shortcomings in this area.

As *I* stated, I tried to answer the OP's question based on what was asked (and not what is missing which includes your use of the JT) and based solely on the information given.

With just THAT information I gave the OP the BEST place to source the information, the JL side as they have had the platform longer. The JL and JT are NOT that different and the JL side has WAY more experience than the JT side does.

As to MY personal experience, when it comes to diesels and JUST MPG's and PERFORMANCE, you DON'T touch the gearing, you go after the shoddy fuel mapping and transmission shift points.

Anything other than that, you're trying to read into this and you are misdirecting your efforts.
Sponsored